• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What Are You Happy About Today?

My parents brought me home 5 cheese ziti from a restaurant they went out to today. I love cheese and ziti, so it was really good.

I also brought home cookies from work today and they're soft (which is why I bought them, but still I love sweets).

(All right, this is gonna be a bit of a read, but it made me so, so happy!)

My mother has had hearing damage and hearing loss her entire life. For all 21 of my years, she's always had a little trouble listening, as normal speech sounds like background noise to her, like TV static. We've always had to speak loudly so that she could understand us, and she needs people to speak and enunciate clearly, always have subtitles in media, and needs to face whoever is speaking to her if she wants to listen. Although she doesn't show it, it embarrasses her; she'd end up saying "Huh?" at last five times if someone isn't speaking loudly or clearly enough, and she'd be mortified by the thought of sounding like she's dumb. Not only does she have the pride of a lion, but she hates admitting that she needs help. She'd rather suffer and pretend everything's fine than alert everyone to the fact that something in her body doesn't work (for the longest time, it was like showing this vulnerability made her "weak" in the eyes of others, and would make her a target for bullying; let's be honest, were she a teenager, you could almost guarantee someone would've made fun of her for it.) She hates asking for help and accepting her problems.

Well, today, she hit me with an enormous surprise. Today, I discovered that she finally relented, asked a few doctors, and finally got a hearing aid. You see, we've discussed this in the past before, but back then, we never could've afforded it. Not to mention, she hated how visible they were, like a big sign that says "Hey! I have something wrong with me!" on flashing neon. I'd always told her she shouldn't have to feel embarrassed for it, but her opinion stuck. She didn't want others to know she was having trouble (and who am I kidding, I do it too, she's probably who I got the tendency from).

Today, she lifted her hair away from her ear, and pointed to the little pale device sitting in it, grinning widely. If my jaw wasn't attached, it would have hit the floor. I was so happy for her that I started crying on the spot. She hasn't been able to hear properly for her entire life; knowing that she finally can, and what her actions meant, made me overwhelmed with joy. It was like witnessing a mute become able to speak again, a paralysis victim become able to walk again, a colorblind person become able to see properly, a comatose patient finally waking up, memories returning for an amnesiac, a victim of cancer finally defeating the sickness. I couldn't help it, I was sobbing because of happy I was for her. When she told me she'd actually gotten it two days ago and was waiting to see if any of us would notice the difference, I started laughing, and i swear I would've popped her back if I'd hugged her any tighter.

She can hear conversations now. She can listen at safer volume levels now. It's easier to get her attention now. She's even more observant now. She can sing on key with her music now. There's so much she can do now, and it's making me wanna cry happily again just thinking about it. Im just so, so happy for her :D

Would I call this an X-mas miracle? Maybe :)
Would I say this is the best gift of the season for us all? Abso-friggin-lutely! :D
Im so happy for and proud of her!!!

Nice, MarzipanDragyn! I’m happy for you. Always happy to hear good things happening to my friends.

I’m just happy in general lately. I get to go home later today! :)

I got to leave work early today because my team did a holiday team-building event. We had a bowling tournament and my team actually won! I'm not a great bowler, but I did contribute.

Tomorrow is my scheduled day off and one of my coworkers offered to work Friday for me, so I'll have an extra day.

last night of class before holidays.. well we gotta write a paper as well but honestly this part have been sooo draining. hope next ones are better

We get a half day at work today because I'm volunteering in Christmas Cheer in the afternoon!

A-lo-la! I’m home from university! The salty sea breeze sang to me and brought me here to you all today.

I return to martial arts later today, which I’m really happy about. Time to show just how much I’ve improved. :)

I won a $100 gift card at work today! I'm also happy because my new project team is working out really well. I feel much less stressed and I'm actually able to complete the work I set out to do each day instead of being pulled to do a million other things. Tomorrow is my last full day of work for the year. Friday is a half day, and then I don't go back to work until after New Year's!

Today was a nice, chill day. Getting to spend the day with my family was nice.
Finally starting to feel the weight of my depression ease, which usually isn't the case this time of year.

Feeling optimistic about the future, and not just because animal crossing is getting nearer and nearer.
Hopefully I will ride this positive wave until the end of the year at least.

I got my nails done as a treat to myself ^_^ it’s my first time getting acrylic nails and I love it so much

Probably posted somewhere else but yeah happy my bangs finally grew out to a length where I can keep them down without getting a mullet going on in the back.. so gonna let the hair in the back grow out for once aaa

I started drawing again ^^ havn't since july so I am pretty hyped about it. I want to make more progress!

i got an offer from my first choice uni today! i only applied a week ago, and my offer got reduced from AAA to BBB !! the best early birthday gift

No nightmares last night. I slept through the whole night, which is why I was up at 5.30 am.

Looks like a good day to be alive.

Ah, what a glorious day. My legs are still sore from martial arts yesterday, so now it’s time to have some protein and get back in shape again. I get to do the dishes and fix some stuff with our electronics, it’s sunny outside, I can play more of my final playthrough of Pokemon Ultra Sun with the unique team I made, I can play my Switch on my TV again finally, and it’s overall just a great day so far because I got to sleep in. C:

Got loads of wrapping done today, I didn't want to leave it to the last minute again like I did last year.

Back