New Leaf issues

MayorChloe

Bells
Silver Mailbox
I know the blog tree is being discontinued but I just need to rant... I love animal crossing, I've been playing since I was about 9-10 and have very fond memories on WW and my love of Lucky (blah blah blah). SO! When I found out new leaf was going to totally swap the bland villager story of you moving in to you BECOMING the mayor, I was hyped!!!! I thought "wow, that sounds FRICKING AMAZING!!!", so when I actually played NL, I was a bit... disappointed... I won't lie. I love NL! It's hosted more than WW to me and obviously the graph update it amazing, however, I never felt like the mayor you know? Apart from the villagers and harriet occasionally calling me mayor at times I totally forget that I'm mayor... it's more like Isabelle is the mayor and I'm just someone who comes to sit in the chair from time to time. I'd love to have more involvment in events than having Isabelle run it, I'm just visiting every so often, saying hi and going away, nothing! I can't even sit in the chair and feel like a mayor without Isabelle telling me if I don't want to do anything frick off... i hope new horizons doesn't let me down like this 2013 game has on the story part... or involvment... what would you call it? I'm just in the need to rant!
Sorry for any spellings, my laptops a bit sticky on its keys recently haha

I loved New Leaf, but I do agree with you that I would forget from time to time that I was the mayor and that you really did not do much as the mayor. It would of been nice if the mayor could create events on days (maybe from the villagers petitions) or stuff like that!

Lavamaize;bt17543 said:
I loved New Leaf, but I do agree with you that I would forget from time to time that I was the mayor and that you really did not do much as the mayor. It would of been nice if the mayor could create events on days (maybe from the villagers petitions) or stuff like that!

I only remembered when I went for a haircut! I totally forget as Isabelle is more of a background character as you only get to interact with her in the office or on holidays

The way I see it, mayor is a public servant position, with executive power- meaning you get the final say in decisions. Thing is, like in irl you don't actually "do" anything- that's the point of it, to free you of one burden- that of detail and appointment, in order for you to shoulder another one: that of making decisions with consequences that ultimately you are responsible for.

With that in mind, your job is to decide on which public works and ordinances to enact and when, not to enforce them and not to think up or design them. Your job is not to sit on a chair(throne?), that's a monarch, nor is it to be called Mayor all the time- that's just narcissistic.

I understand that we all sometimes cannot tell if it is a feature of the game or something left out for technical or financial/deadline/studio-capacity reasons In this case I personally think it is a design choice to reflect how a mayor SHOULD be in a nice world rather than Nintendo being lazy and not fleshing out the concept.

Of course as gamer and fans we probably immediately gravitate to the the obvious conclusions and reasoning but tbh, it's Animal Crossing and I really would love to believe with all my heart that the designers thought the concepts through and focused on instilling a positive if somewhat simplistic and utopian portrayal of what a Mayor is.

saltlick;bt17546 said:
The way I see it, mayor is a public servant position, with executive power- meaning you get the final say in decisions. Thing is, like in irl you don't actually "do" anything- that's the point of it, to free you of one burden- that of detail and appointment, in order for you to shoulder another one: that of making decisions with consequences that ultimately you are responsible for.

With that in mind, your job is to decide on which public works and ordinances to enact and when, not to enforce them and not to think up or design them. Your job is not to sit on a chair(throne?), that's a monarch, nor is it to be called Mayor all the time- that's just narcissistic.

I understand that we all sometimes cannot tell if it is a feature of the game or something left out for technical or financial/deadline/studio-capacity reasons In this case I personally think it is a design choice to reflect how a mayor SHOULD be in a nice world rather than Nintendo being lazy and not fleshing out the concept.

Of course as gamer and fans we probably immediately gravitate to the the obvious conclusions and reasoning but tbh, it's Animal Crossing and I really would love to believe with all my heart that the designers thought the concepts through and focused on instilling a positive if somewhat simplistic and utopian portrayal of what a Mayor is.

Well I definitely feel more involved than in WW, but sometimes I want to sit and swing my little legs on the chair and feel like I'm actually doing some work for the town, looking through papers than have Isabelle just stand and stare. I love NL I just wish there was more involvement with you and events, feeling like you don't just appear for the event but actually tell what you want or at least sort the fishing tournament and co!

Last edited:
Back