• Current Championship Time (EDT)

Tournament Pokémon: Scarlet and Violet Tournament

Personally I'm not in favor of round robin as I believe we had that last time at some point. I'd prefer single-elimination because it's faster and easier, but that's just my take on it. It's unfortunate that there haven't been a ton of sign-ups, but sometimes that's just the way it goes.
Last time was single elims, but we had drastically more sign ups

Last time was single elims, but we had drastically more sign ups

Really? That's odd. Someone told me that there was a round robin at some point during the last tournament.

Either way, I'd really prefer single-elimination.

Really? That's odd. Someone told me that there was a round robin at some point during the last tournament.

Either way, I'd really prefer single-elimination.
Didn’t we play last time? Maybe I’m confusing with someone else. But I know for a fact the last tbtwc tournament was single elims. The main reason I disagree with single elims here is that it’s not that fun. Ultimately we are here for fun and the stakes aren’t that high. Having half the people not being able to play after a single round is really rough. Unlike smash, there’s also no friendlies you can go to if you lose to play either. I’d even support double elimination since we have few enough people to make that work within the timeframe

Didn’t we play last time? Maybe I’m confusing with someone else. But I know for a fact the last tbtwc tournament was single elims. The main reason I disagree with single elims here is that it’s not that fun. Ultimately we are here for fun and the stakes aren’t that high. Having half the people not being able to play after a single round is really rough. Unlike smash, there’s also no friendlies you can go to if you lose to play either. I’d even support double elimination since we have few enough people to make that work within the timeframe

Hmm, don't know why they said that then. It could have been in the final stages of it, but if you say it was single elims the entire way I believe you.

I suppose round robin is fine if we don't get enough sign-ups, but I'm not going to be overly enthusiastic about that.

Hmm, don't know why they said that then. It could have been in the final stages of it, but if you say it was single elims the entire way I believe you.

I suppose round robin is fine if we don't get enough sign-ups, but I'm not going to be overly enthusiastic about that.
Looking back into it, I’m nearly positive we played last time in tbtwc. I recall your team as well.

I just want to play more games with people that’s really it.

Yeah I agree that I'd love to be able to have more matches overall, as it stands the best we could squeeze out is 3 rounds and even then there's and odd amount of people for that

Personally I just wanna play some good ol pokemon battling with people without the looming threat of "if I lose here, the fun stops".

It doesn't have to be a round robin, I would just like a format that doesn't punish people for warming up in the first round (which I assume would be a lot of the people here considering this isnt a competitive pokemon forum)

TLDR; more game more fun

Okay, looking back at our conversation they actually did not say the last tournament was round robin. I don't know why I manufactured that out of my head, but I'm also very tired at the moment, so apologies for that.

I'm good with whatever you all decide. You've made some good points and it really would be fun to have more battles and have it be less serious (since, like you mentioned, there's no friendlies thread for this).

In Game Name: Ruthie
Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 5613-8122-6624
Time Zone: EDT
Best Way to Contact Me: PM or Discord
Best Available Time For Participation: Late evenings are best for me. 9:30 PM-12 AM EDT is the ideal time, but I understand that may be late for folks so I can work with other times if needed.
TBTWC Team: 3

honestly, why not just set up a friendlies pokemon battling event too? would need the usual proof of battling for both players, and I guess it'd need a cap on the amount of points someone could earn from it overall, but aside from that, I see no problem

edit: I guess the only other issue would be team composition rules couldn't be as enforced, but so long as both sides are able to agree on what is or isn't allowed, I think it should be fine in a casual setting?

honestly, why not just set up a friendlies pokemon battling event too?
Another good suggestion! As long as there's no heavy punishment for losing once I'm sure anyone could agree it'd be fun!

I guess the only other issue would be team composition rules couldn't be as enforced, but so long as both sides are able to agree on what is or isn't allowed, I think it should be fine in a casual setting?
I'd say these same team comp rules would work in a casual setting (no legendaries/dupes/dupe items) but that's just me, mutual agreement would probs be the best way to sort it yeah

In-Game Name: Dim
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:SW-8579-5303-4501
Time Zone:EDT
Best Available Times for Matches:Typically Afternoon-Night
Best Way to Contact Me:Message me here or discord!
TBTWC Team:3

In Game Name: Olivia
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
SW-1901-9180-8235
Time Zone: PDT
Best Way to Contact Me: Here or Discord
Best Available Time For Participation: 5PM-3AM PDT
TBTWC Team: 2

I agree with having more rounds and more games, would suck to have planned a whole team just to lose and only take home 5 points with you. No one really loses anything, the points still stand (win more, gain more points), and more participation would be fun on this casual level of comp. :]

In Game Name: Quinn
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:2944-5199-8685
Time Zone: GMT +8
Best Way to Contact Me: tbt or discord!
Best Available Time For Participation: Weekdays night or morning.

TBTWC Team: 3

Another thing I'd like to add in favour of a round robin, I've noticed a few people have 2+ days blacked out in their availabilities. If each round is supposed to run for 48 hours these people are gonna struggle without getting extentsions.

A round robin format lets each player schedule around their own times, with the only compliance being trying to schedule with another player, this way especially busy people would be able to run through multiple fights on their free days and wont have to stress during their blackout period.

IDK, just my two cents from what I've seen in these applications

Hi all! I've gone through your posts, approved your teams, and plotted you all in a spreadsheet. Unfortunately, that's all I have time for tonight so the bracket will instead be revealed tomorrow.

I've read your feedback, but I'm afraid I will not be changing the format of the event to a round robin. After I've arranged the battles and plotted it against a calendar it may change to double-elimination if there's time, but a round robin just isn't doable. We only have two weeks for this event and not only would this feel very rushed but it would increase my workload for the event immensely. If this was the only event I was running or the event was longer then I would consider it, but I'm also running the Pokémon Shiny Hunting event, streaming most evenings, and work a 9-5 so it's just not feasible.

That's unfortunate, but understandable given the time commitments that Chris has to deal with.

I do think it would be nice (?) if maybe not for this tournament, but just as an ongoing thing we would have Pokemon Scar/Vio friendlies in the TBT Neighborly games. Or even just something between regular members. That would be pretty fun and could help people brush up on their battling skills. Just an idea.

I mean fair enough Chris, unfortunate the event isn't longer.

Praying that double elim can happen 🙏🙏

pokemon-version3-png.560856

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Tournament

The Format ⚔️

After running the numbers a decision was made to change the tournament from single-elimination to double-elimination.

After randomising the brackets I manually moved some of you around to ensure that you will not face off against another person on your own team in round one. Due to the number of players, two of you will not have your first battle until round two. The players not playing until round two were manually chosen to be players from Team 3 and Team 4, but the exact player was randomised. This was due to these teams having the lowest number of sign-ups to the tournament.

The deadlines for each round is as follows:

Round 1 must be completed by 11:59pm EDT on May 24th
Round 2
must be completed by 11:59pm EDT on May 27th
Round 3
must be completed by 11:59pm EDT on May 29th
Round 4
must be completed by 11:59pm EDT on May 31st (Semifinals)
Round 5
and 6 must be completed by 11:59pm EDT on June 2nd (Finals and Bronze Match)

There won't be an official start time for each round, so you are free to go ahead and arrange your next battle as soon as you see who your next opponent is listed on Challonge. If you need extra time you must contact me directly to request it and I reserve the right to reject it if it'll disrupt the tournament too much. I'll aim to be as lenient as possible though.

How to Submit Results ⚔️

How to submit your results is written in the opening post.

You will receive your points as a react to your submission post, so it's important that both you and your competitor submit your results separately.

The Bracket ⚔️

You will find the bracket here on Challonge.

The pairings for round one are:
  1. Flyffel vs. skarmoury.
  2. Halloqueen vs. LoyalDragonfly.
  3. michealsmells vs. Dim.
  4. Chibi.Hoshi vs. Rainy.Nights.
  5. IonicKarma vs. ForeverFox.
  6. Vhoop vs. VillageDweller.
Zerous and Midoriya will not play until round two.

Back