Successor to the Switch to be announced this fiscal year

I’m not sure how I feel. Right now, I need to replace my switch lite because the joy con drift and the charger won’t stay in. Not sure now if it’d be better to wait. If I get it, I’d probably would have to wait before being able to get the new nintendo console—for financial reasons and since Idk what games will be released for it or if I can play my switch games on it. If I ask for one for Christmas, I’d definitely not be able to ask for another console for a good amount of time.

I was doing some thinking and if the Nintendo Switch was announced in 2015 and didn't come out until 2017, that means that we'd have another year or two before the Switch 2 or whatever comes out.

I was doing some thinking and if the Nintendo Switch was announced in 2015 and didn't come out until 2017, that means that we'd have another year or two before the Switch 2 or whatever comes out.
I doubt history would repeat. They could announce it in December 2024 and release it in June 2025 (along with an Animal Crossing game as its launch title). No console has ever lasted seven years on the market before a successor was announced.

Wow. It's really been that long for the Switch, hasn't it? I can't say I'm hyped for the new console. I don't plan on getting it day one since I'm still hooked on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I imagine that game will go strong for the foreseeable future. Heck, there were still people playing the predecessors.

i'm excited, but I have one question: What's the next logical upgrade to go to? we went from portable to home console/portable, and how's Nintendo gonna upgrade from that? VR? (ok but having Nintendo expand upon the VR idea they had with Labo would be so cool, just imagine a VR pokemon or Mario Kart!)
VR Mario Kart would actually be mental. Imagine getting hit by a Blue Shell 😭

Unless there are some really cool launch titles I'm not particularly fussed about a new console right now. Especially when all the cool colourways / versions tend to come out later.

Reactions: Neb
When they said they intended for a Switch to last twice as long as a regular console (10 years vs 5 years) I guess they meant it

This excites me for those who have been eagerly awaiting the next console announcement and/or who feel their time with the Switch and its titles have run its course, but I’m not personally excited for this right now.

I’m of course curious to see what the next console will be like and especially what the launch titles will be, but I’ve only had my Switch Lite for a little over 4 years. I’m still getting almost daily use out of it and enjoying playing games on it. Buying a new console is not at all a priority for me or something I’m prepared to do right now, so unless any of the launch titles are enticing enough— and honestly, the only games that’d be enticing enough are a new Animal Crossing, Mario Party or Tomodachi Life (none of which I anticipate being launch titles)—, I don’t see me buying the console at launch. I may not even get it at all, especially if it’s not handheld and/or portable. It really depends on the games that’ll launch and be available on it for me.

Makes sense, Switch has had a long cycle, even if it still feels fairly new to me (oh how time passes)

My reactions will be based mainly on these three factors
-if it’s backwards compatible
-if there’s special editions at launch
-launch titles

I’m not too keen on buying at launch, but that’s the same for any console. I’d rather others test it out so I can see what the issues are, if any

I don't personally care due to moving on to Valve plus I wouldn't be able to afford another console anyway unless I sold what I got and I don't want too due to having more interest in indie games than Nintendo's, but... I will be watching this new console out of curiosity of how much it improves from the switch or what changes they will make with this new console. I hope it becomes everything people want.

I do seriously think it is possible Nintendo may be done with cartridges though. Not going to go into a lot of details or thoughts about it but the lack of a cartridge port at the very least could allow more room inside the console for other things. And it seems Nintendo has more focus on expanding the NOS stuff to compete with other companies that have streaming services... and it does protect Nintendo's assets in a few ways technically..
I wonder if you can play a digital switch game on a newer console later or if you have to rebuy it or if the eshop will have locked categories.

For those who don’t know, a fiscal year in simple terms is basically a business thing, it’s 12 months from spring to spring, like July to June, April to March, May to April, etc, and corresponds with the company’s budgeting process and financial reporting periods.

Oh I saw that Nintendo plans to continue selling physical games? That's good news if they are new games.
Now Im curious if they will sell two versions of the new console. One that is digital only and another with the cartridge port. I wonder if a digital version one will be the smaller and more portable one.

Part of me doesn't want to have to buy another console but I know eventually they gonna release some farming game or a maybe a new animal crossing and imma feel the need to buy it. I didn't have a switch until 2020 when ACNH was announced.

I’m going to wait on it even if it’s backwards compatible with Switch games for a few reasons. First, buying a console on the first year and especially launch day increases the risk of hardware issues. I bought my first Switch day one and had noticeable joycon drift in the first few weeks. My dock also scratched my screen a few times. Second, in the case it isn’t backwards compatible with Switch games the system library will be small. When the Switch was first out it took a good while for it to have many games. JRPGs were especially rare on the system back in 2017. I pretty much just stuck with Breath of the Wild and Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment for months. Now that the Switch has been out for 7 years it now has one of the best libraries of any console ever made. I also just upgraded to a Switch OLED last year and want to get the most use out of it before I move on. Most likely I’ll wait around a year before getting the next Nintendo console and just finish the games I want to play on Switch.

Now that I got a new switch, I definitely am in no hurry to get it even if it is backwards compatible. I’m honestly really happy with the switch right now; I was a latecomer to the switch when I got my switch lite. Even if a new animal crossing or splatoon is announced, I’ll want to wait for financial reasons and because I’m content with what the switch has to offer

Part of me doesn't want to have to buy another console but I know eventually they gonna release some farming game or a maybe a new animal crossing and imma feel the need to buy it. I didn't have a switch until 2020 when ACNH was announced.
Yeah unless if the next AC game is only for the newer console I will not buy it at the moment.

Reactions: oak
I'm just unsure what could be anything different, sure you can make a console that fixes the stuff the Switch had, but then what? I really hope there isn't anything like VR, I only tried VR once, and really hated it.
And as everyone else hopes, that you can still play older switch games, which I think is likely. Nevermind how long it will take to come out, the fact we have a new Pokemon game coming out next year, it would be a cruel joke not to be able to use it on a new system.

I never have money at the time new things come out, and kinda glad honestly, so they can see if the new console has any problems others may have to deal with.

Back