What career did you want when you were a kid?

Artist. It's the first thing I can remember wanting to be. Somewhere along the line, I forgot about it or was dissuaded because it's not a lucrative career. However as I get older, I think there was more wisdom in my desire than I gave credit towards. So even if it's not my "career" per se, I am still trying to live life as an artist, whatever that means.

QVC host. From when I was 5-8, I would watch QVC all the time and started to role play being a host. I was even coming up with random item numbers. I even taught myself how to set the VCR clock just to tape different showings on the channel.

I wanted to be a doctor, more specifically a GP, and one of the silly reasons why was that I wanted one of those already inked stamp with my name on it so I could stamp the prescriptions...
But also I wanted to heal people.
But the auto-inked stamps were a nice bonus...

when i was like 4-5 years old, i wanted to become a doctor!! i even dressed up as a doctor for halloween. then i found out what you need to do as a doctor and i ditched that dream :( (i get really queasy around that kind of stuff)

a couple years later i decided i wanted to become a math teacher and i'm currently working towards that dream 🥰

QVC host. From when I was 5-8, I would watch QVC all the time and started to role play being a host. I was even coming up with random item numbers. I even taught myself how to set the VCR clock just to tape different showings on the channel.
That’s cool! I still watch QVC and every now and then. The cooking and furniture programs are my favorite.

At first I wanted to be a fire fighter, but then I found out they have to go long periods of time away from home for work.

Then my obsession with space began and I wanted to be an astronaut. That dream died once I realized how difficult it is to become one. The fact I ended up not being the minimum height to be an astronaut bums me out sometimes.

Around 5th grade I wanted to become an author since I got interested in writing and was told I should become a writer by all of my teachers (even my high school ones said that). I lost interest in it for a long time since I had no story ideas until fairly recently. It’s a funny coincidence that I’m actually related to an author and never knew.

My fourth career idea was to be a YouTuber (just like everyone else). I was I told I had a nice narration voice, but I knew YouTube paid terribly and was a very oversaturated market.

Finally I spent several years wanting to be a translator for Japanese media. I kept trying to learn Japanese only to finally realize that my brain just doesn't process info on new languages very well and I didn’t enjoy the process.

Now I’m just desperate for any job that will keep me as long as it isn’t customer service related.

Back