Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
We may enjoy the technological advances over time as it made our lives easier, but advancements in technology doesn't make things perfectly better. While we rid the world of old problems, new problems are made. Aside to the environmental issues and privacy issues, newer technology seems to have other issues as well. For example, HDTVs take a while to turn on the TV screen while the old CRTs turn on instantly. Another example is reduced reliability, durability, and battery life in newer models and machines to make things more space effiecient, cost-effective, and produce more power. Also, having more wireless tech would make less of a mess at home, but you would have to worry about the disruptions more often.

But the real bad news is that a lot of things we may know in the past will be history. iPhones are really popular and worth using, but it took up a lot of stuff as we have only one small gadget with everything. Here are the 10 things that will go extinct due to changes in technology (such as advancements) or society (such as customer service issues).

1. Video Stores - the big loser of the technology advances are video tape and disc rental stores. You may remember stuff like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video (if you're at least 18 years or old right now). Those were major video stores where you can buy or rent movies. They even had video games up for rent. But after the introduction of Netflix and Redbox, video rental stores have been losing a lot of business. Blockbuster, the king of the video rental industry, is really busted after the ability to rent discs online and through kiosks. The introduction to digital videos like on iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace made this even worse. Now, video rental stores are critically endangered. Even Redbox may meet its demise. The only video stores we have are iTunes, Google Play Store, Xbox Live Marketplace, PlayStation Store, and conglomerate stores like Wal-Mart and Target. But standalone video stores are going away.
  2. Land-line phones - another thing we may see leave are land-line phones. Cell phones are popular. Not just popular, but easy to access. It's almost became a life necessity like food, shelter, and water. They have our calls, texts, voicemails, and even e-mails. And cell phones can do more than that now. We can even bring them everywhere we go. Land-line phones, or home phones, are leaving too.
  3. Newspaper - yes, newspapers still exist and will always exist. No, they will not be printed like they once were. Seeing this going extinct is both good and bad. The good thing is that we can cut down less trees to inform people. But we have to deal with ads on the internet news.
  4. Handheld cameras - did you know that handheld cameras existed for over 100 years. Now we don't need them anymore since cell phones can take photos (and record videos).
  5. Credit cards and debit cards - now that digital pay services such as PayPal exist, it would be a matter of time that debit cards and credit cards would be gone.
  6. Mailboxes - thanks to e-mails, we might not have mailboxes anymore. We may still have package deliveries from post offices, but envelopes and letters would be considered weird in the future.
  7. Television - no matter what, we will always have shared screen TVs, but if you wanna know what I mean, we stick with online streaming like Netflix or Hulu rather than deal with cable TV. We don't like commercials, and cable companies had a long history of bad customer service. But for now, it still lives.
  8. Coin-arcades - unless if they are ticket arcades with ticket redemption booths (like Chuck E Cheeses), these arcades will be gone. Even if they are part of larger businesses (like theaters). The reason: home video games.
  9. Music stores - instrument stores may last a while, but stuff like Music CD stores will be disappearing since we can listen to music on the phones. Don't worry, we still have iTunes, Google Play Store, Xbox Live Marketplace, and PlayStation Store.
  10. Phone Books - no landlines, no need for this.

There's more than what I listed here that may disappear from the face of the Earth, but it's depressing to see them go as long as time passes.

No matter what, we will always have the following:

• McDonald's
  • Coca-Cola
  • Wal-Mart
  • Disney
  • Restaurants
  • Amusement Parks
  • Malls
  • Theaters
  • Museums
  • Hotels

And more to document than what we have here. I didn't name Apple because its iPhone and iPad has killed many of our old services we once had in the past.

I'd like to add that since the X-box and PS4 run on a tv screen, it won't be gone for a very long time. TV's aren't just used for watching shows.

Liamslash;bt13049 said:
Can I add tbt to the list please

Bell Tree will eventually become a ghost town one day, but it's not related to my blog entry on what is going extinct.

I did read a list of ten things that will disappear within our lifetime. One of them is music. I do not believe that.

I really don't want video or music stores to go extinct. We still go to Video Ezy to rent DVDs, because it's the only way we can watch movies for cheap, without buying every movie we want to see. We don't have Netflix because we don't have unlimited data, and none of us illegally download.

I've also just started a CD collection again, and I hope to start a record collection in the future. It would suck if I had to buy all of this online. I hate buying stuff online.

Back