• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

2 Towns - 1 3DS

ProfessorN

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Does anyone know if it is possible to have to towns on 1 3DS console?

I have a digital copy but I want to buy a cartridge and have another town as well as my digital copy. I only have one 3DS so would I be able to have 2 towns save data on my 3DS? And how would the friend code system work? Would I have the same friend code for both games?

As far as I'm aware, you can have two different towns on one 3ds, though I have heard different rumours about how it might affect dlc items for each town.

I think there was a few members on the forums who were discussing the same thing earlier in the week, hopefully they will see this thread and will be able to help you out!

I'm wondering the same thing! I want to get the digital download version, and already have a cartridge! Thanks for making this thread :)

Also, i don't know how hard it would be too have 2 towns. I'm not sure though.

Last edited:
I'd like to try it as I have the physical copy in a bundle and haven't touched the digital one yet (tbh haven't even redownloaded it after my system transfer). Maybe I should try it before June ends so I can get the DLC again. Although I can only download it once and I kinda like my rainbow screen so don't fancy losing it :).

You can do it, LinandKo did it for the capturing of videos, Lindsey had the bundle and she put her memory card into Kohei's DS and could play (am I right, I never watched any of their videos so please correct me if I'm wrong :)). I just wouldn't want to advise it until I know if DLC either stays put or is automatically ported into the version of the game that doesn't have it after downloading it on the other.
And friend codes, how would that work, they'd just visit the town you were playing at the time?

Yes it's possible - I'm doing it!

The only thing I've encountered is sometimes a blue dot will appear on both games (as if I've street passed or something) but I can't find any reason why when I play the game.

Cool, no loss of DLC, example, you didn't lose your rainbow screen from either version? And do your friends just visit the town you're playing at the time when they come over?

(Sorry, I'd love to start a second town and just want to know more :))
And I love your sig!! Great idea!

I have my DLC in both towns (rainbow screen).

As for friends, my main game still picks up when my BF is online but this doesn't carry over to my second game. I believe (although I haven't tested it) if I were to be in my other town those who have my 3DS FC would be able to visit that town if I open the gate and I would have to add them as AC BF or whatever from there.

Ah OK, thank you very much!

Also I see you're UK too, if you have space, feel free to take my friend code and I'll add you tomorrow when hopefully I have wifi again!!

Thanks for the info this thread has provided, I lost the DL version when I transferred my old pikacho 3DS info to my new AC bundle and I started re-downloading it but our Mcdonalds here has horribly slow internet connection, so I'm still in the DL process. so I went out and bought another copy of the game so I could play it right away. I was hoping that it would be possible to have 2 games once my download finished. I have always enjoyed having spare towns to experiment with in the original and the WW versions.

I went through the same thing, I actually thought I had lost the DL version in the transfer but was happy when the eshop had the "redownload" option.

It's definitely nice to have another town to play about in, I just wish I could move of the those villagers to my main town ha ha

To those of you doing this...do you have to have another memory/SD card to use for the second town, or do they use the same one? For example, if the digital version + SD card 1 are linked, if you put the game cartridge in do I also have to change out the SD card to a different one? Or do you just pop the game cartridge in and load up the game with the original SD card?

Thanks in advance to whoever has an answer! Haha

Same SD card :) When I have the AC cartridge in it comes up where the normal cartridge game is, the digital AC is further along among my downloaded games but they both use the same SD card.

Back