• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Sounds like something similar to what?s happening in Portland and Berkeley within the last few years, but at a much higher level. At least the law enforcement was trying to do something about it in Mexico.

While I would like to say that violence and hatred against men is just as bad as violence and oppression against women, it?s not worth hurting other people or vandalizing property over the sake of equality. If the government isn?t doing anything about it, there?s a reason why they won?t do it. Either because they aren?t being oppressed, or whatever they?re fighting for is actually a bad idea. North America is actually not a bad place to be a woman. Usually, the violence against women here isn?t related to being women, but something else (like personal conflicts).

It?s also worth mentioning that radicals that favor oppression of another group are also a threat to their own group. In this case, radical feminists are dangerous to other women too (at least those who won?t support them).

Honestly, you’re right. Factually speaking, you’re right. There’s just too many people caught up in the emotions and the desire for revenge against tradition that they can’t see that.

These women got what they wanted, attention. If they kept peaceful would it still have the same impact? I agree that this is very extreme but look at them now, everyone is talking about it. This reminds me of Emily Davison who sacrificed herself on behalf of the suffragettes to shed light on their struggle.
I'm a male and I'm very much a feminist. I have to damit that breaking stores isn't correct and so is grafittiing (?) on monuments.
Same thing happened in Paris (you probably heard of it) and I was so furious because monuments are part of history and deserve respect, so no matter what you fight for you shall never vandalize them. I was also saddened to read that they attacked every men they encountered because I would probably be on their side, and seeing that might attack me nonetheless is sad really.
I understand their anger because yes, women are still oppressed today in pretty much all countries. It's not as bad as the worst countries you talked about, but it's still there in my opinion. The constant fear some women have when they take the subway for example, or simply when walk in the streets. Some of them are afraid of being insulted, assaulted or flirted with.
Trust me when it happened to your own mom you see things differently (although I've always been a feminist for as long as I remember.)
I really hate the blatant misogyny ocurring in France (I don't know if it's the same everyone but I do very much think so), men still feel so much superior than women and it's hard to see.
Of course it's """""""not all men""""""" (I seriously hate when people say that but that's another story), but it's more than enough of them to be an issue.
While I don't agree with how these women proceeded, I agree with what they're fighting against.

I don't really exactly see this as a political subject. Not political from the same light as it's spoken in the first post. These are just my cents but, where the origin of this whole incident is - it's in the education system.
Never to be rude or anything, but so far as I know, Mexico is not the country that provides opportunity of high-quality education to everyone.
Violence has a trait that infects. When you're physically there where the heat of violence is growing, you'd get swallowed in the wave and lose yourself in the heat. It's not your fault, that's how a mass violence is. It's like fire in the forest. Once it grows to a certain level, it can't stop by themselves until there's nothing more to burn anymore.
What helps you not be involved in the heat there is, education. The more you're educated, the more chance that you stay civil. It's just "in general" but still is true. So, I'm curious how they are feeling right now - those women who got violent - after all these savage acts, after once the heat of violence in them is calmed down.
So.. the problem is not in "the right of female" but in the system of education. This subject is political in that light. Because education is government's business.

Also, generalizing anything has a problem. "Male" "Female", but like someone has said, not all the males are the same and not all the female are the same. Generalizing anything that way when you're gonna think about something, it could catch you in the wrong trap. For example. "It all started probably as a small, peaceful protest". But it went wrong "somehow"? It's not "somehow". If it was peaceful parade at first, there for sure was "something" that triggered the violence. That something is exactly the key to see the whole situation, I feel so.

I don't really exactly see this as a political subject. Not political from the same light as it's spoken in the first post. These are just my cents but, where the origin of this whole incident is - it's in the education system.
Never to be rude or anything, but so far as I know, Mexico is not the country that provides opportunity of high-quality education to everyone.
Violence has a trait that infects. When you're physically there where the heat of violence is growing, you'd get swallowed in the wave and lose yourself in the heat. It's not your fault, that's how a mass violence is. It's like fire in the forest. Once it grows to a certain level, it can't stop by themselves until there's nothing more to burn anymore.
What helps you not be involved in the heat there is, education. The more you're educated, the more chance that you stay civil. It's just "in general" but still is true. So, I'm curious how they are feeling right now - those women who got violent - after all these savage acts, after once the heat of violence in them is calmed down.
So.. the problem is not in "the right of female" but in the system of education. This subject is political in that light. Because education is government's business.

Also, generalizing anything has a problem. "Male" "Female", but like someone has said, not all the males are the same and not all the female are the same. Generalizing anything that way when you're gonna think about something, it could catch you in the wrong trap. For example. "It all started probably as a small, peaceful protest". But it went wrong "somehow"? It's not "somehow". If it was peaceful parade at first, there for sure was "something" that triggered the violence. That something is exactly the key to see the whole situation, I feel so.
Politics in the U.S. have changed after the last election. Things have gotten sensitive.

I am very much a feminist and agree that women's rights still have a long way to go, in certain countries more than others, but there are issues everywhere. However, I would never condone violence as a means of advocating for those rights. I think extreme measures only serve to alienate the people you are trying to convince. Those who protest peacefully are often the ones who we remember fondly and drive lasting change (e.g. Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr, etc.).

Oh really? Is it happening as well but the government is doing nothing?

Although we don?t have a radical feminist movement that aggressive, I?m referring to a group that got increasingly militant after Trump got elected. Although the federal government are slowly acknowledging this, the city governments allow their violent protests while they won?t let police officers arrest them when they are in fact breaking the law. But when this violent group attacks anywhere outside those two cities, they lose.

I agree with everything you say, specially about that violence against men and women are equally bad, because at the end, no matter the sex, we could all be victims.

Exactly. And it?s not just limited to sex. It also applies to race, class, religion, and sexual orientation. Sometimes, it is the ?privileged? group?s fault that they?re being targeted by hatred and discrimination (like when Christian extremism from the past and present lead to the negative attitudes towards Christians today), because if they weren?t so oppressive to the underrepresented groups in the past, their long time descendants will not be as angry and hateful towards the groups that had the power. Hate begets hate, and violence begets violence. Even so, hatred and bigotry is equally bad no matter who is doing it to whom. Even the frequency of each case does not make some cases worse than others. Only what?s really happening makes some cases worse than other.

And yeah! Totally! Female reporters got hurt in the protest as well!

That?s the hypocrisy of radicalism.

Current feminism has nothing to do with the "original" feminism. The original feminism movement was actually fightning for women's rights, they weren't hurting anyone or hurting property - they were peaceful and intelligent, and their goals were pure. What these people are doing now - they just have nothing to do or they have some mental issues and want to find enemies.

It's nothing new, honestly. People always look for some sort of enemies and someone to hate. I absolutely disgust anyone who covers their hate and toxic emotions under this "we fight for women's rights" lie or "we fight for freedom" - whatever. I'd go as far as to say that I have more sympathy towards people who don't hide the fact that they're evil - at least they don't lie. But these - they will throw out their anger, hate someone and then go to sleep thinking how much they "achieved". But again - let's not forget our history. World War 1 and 2 happened on our planet, all the religion wars and countless Medieval wars - our planet. I doubt we'll ever get rid of hatred - it'll just be about finding new targets and new "enemies".

Honestly, you?re right. Factually speaking, you?re right. There?s just too many people caught up in the emotions and the desire for revenge against tradition that they can?t see that.

I agree, i heard about that on the news. Im glad mexico is trying to stop it! True words and awesome evidence @Yael

honestly for one side i kindaaa agree the fact that some women on the protest were too harsh , going to the point of even attacking other women or random men who wouldn't do anything wrong , even attacking reporters and such.

however , honestly i think that if we only talk about walls being vandalized and glasses being broken , those things are better than women getting raped or murdered and all that **** that happens 24/7/365

not to mention , feminists in Mexico have tried to protest every single way that could be peaceful , but nobody paid attention to them , or they laughed at them and made memes about it , and when you're are trying to send a message about the abuse of women in the country but nobody takes you seriously , then you really have no other choice to protest in a way for goverment to actually notice you.

tl;dr = this protest was a chaos but in the end , you can see why that **** happened.

Last edited:
Probably in countries like the US or France, protests can be easily repaired as the budget is higher and the cities there already have proper maintenance, unlike my country, which suffers from high corruption.

Just wanted to point out that rebuilding can be very expensive even in countries like the US and France - it depends on the extent of property damage, what property has actually been damaged (eg. a private business vs. a government building), and the budget capacity of the city/region in question. This is not to say that people in these countries may experience more privilege, in that they may have a government that has the budgetary capacity to address these concerns, just that protest brings very real harms that I think people often forget.

A very topical example is the question of whether businesses adversely affected by the recent riots in the United States will be able to use insurance to be able to rebuild their businesses after damage to their property and/or inventory (if they have insurance at all). There is an interesting LA Times article here that goes into more specifics, interviewing affected business owners and taking a deeper dive into insurance policies, and estimate that much of the cost of the recent riots will be covered by insurance under civil disturbance, not government at any level - though of course, this will likely adversely affect insurance premiums in the future for that business, and they are still out of an income for the time being for themselves and their employees.

Until repairs can be made, assuming they will be, the public loses the utility of whatever that space used to provide. I remember reading a tweet by someone during the US riots noting that some people believe that the damage from protests can be easily repaired and tell others off for being concerned about something that isn't a big deal to them in the grand scheme of things, but that they don't realize the impact that space could have on the local population. Even a big chain store like Target - sure, they probably have the money to cover repairs on their own if the city/state does not step in (which they usually don't) - but dozens of people could be out of a job while the repairs happen. People in the local neighbourhood who used to rely on Target for access to medication, for access to cheap basic goods, and who cannot easily shop around for alternatives (eg. the elderly, the disabled) hurt the most.

Money might be able to rebuild a location, but it can't completely make up for the losses incurred while that rebuild is occurring. No matter where you live, the human cost of damage caused by protests/riots may be more severe than some people realize.

Back