• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

[ A New Job, A New Life ] - day 2

Melyora

Yora of Lorelin
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Red Cosmos
Lump of Coal
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Orange Mote of Flame
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Classic Easter Egg
Cake
Blue Feather
[ Day 2 ] Meeting the town-folk!

I woke by the yellow glow my tent projected from the sun that was rising in Wildwood. The bed had been nice and cosy, but as soon as I got out from under the blankets it was clear that winter isn’t meant for camping. I quickly dressed and put on some warm clothes. They looked a bit shabby though, and I wondered if there was a clothing store here in Wildwood. Might as well head out to Town Hall and ask Isabelle about it. Hopefully I could also make my down payment with Tom Nook so I would not have to sleep in a tent much longer.

As I walked through the snowy field I realized I was enjoying this. The town felt very rustic and peaceful, though a bit shabby here and there. But I might be able to do something about that. I was walking by Francine’s house, that truly was awkwardly located, when I saw her waving through the window at me. I waved back and she smiled back. She walked away from the window and few second later the door opened. “Mayor! How about a cup of coffee? Come in, come in!” I felt obligated to come in, but also quite happy to be welcomed so warmly. Francine the rabbit closed the door behind me. “Please do have a seat!” she invited me and went to pour a cup of coffee. I thanked her for her kindness. She talked warmly about me becoming mayor of Wildwood and that she hoped I would soon settle in. We talked a bit about all sorts of stuff before I excused myself to go over to Town Hall. “Ah, yes,” Francine said. “Best not to keep Isabelle waiting for too long. Because she will wait forever!” I thanked her for her hospitality and she made me promise to come over soon. I did so happily, this short visit had already brightened my day compared to the stress of yesterday.

View attachment 237518

As I walked over the bridge, I saw Tom Nook putting down some poles in a square. “Goodmorning Tom,” I said. “Aaah, Melyora,” he greeted me. “Would you mind coming over today, yes?” he asked. “It’s about your down payment. It is nothing more than a paltry 10,000 Bells. If you could deliver those to me, I can start constructing your home, yes?” I said I would try to make it work and he laughed happily. “Say, Tom? What are you doing?” “Oh this?”, he replied while sticking another pole into the ground. “Some big-eyed, black rabbit guy came over early this morning. He had already went to Town Hall and said he’d heard a rumor that Wildwood was getting a new mayor and that he was curious. After taking quick look around, he decided he wanted to live here and see what you make of it! See, you’re already having a great influence on this town!” he said with a deep, throaty laugh. “His down payment has already been arranged, so we will build his house today and he will move in tomorrow.” Tom winked at me, as giving me a hint that I should be making my payment as soon as possible. Well, so far the great mood. I waved Tom Nook goodbye and went on to Town Hall, hoping Isabelle would help me with this whole housing and mayor thing.

View attachment 237519

Arriving at town hall Isabelle showed me my desk as the mayor of Wildwood. She asked me for a drink and poured me a coffee. She asked if I had already unpacked everything, I told her not yet because I wanted my house to be finished first. She understood, and told me that even though she had already lived in her house for months, she still had boxes packed up in her room. Then she started to explain what she did as Town Hall as the secretary. Giving advice, listening to villagers requests, and that even I, as mayor, should ask questions about the way around Wildwood at the reception desk. After that she started to explain my work as mayor, but stopped herself. I should first gain a development permit before I could start laying out my vision for Wildwood. She said it would be a piece of cake and she would help me where-ever and whenever she could. “You sound pretty busy, Isabelle,” I said. “Me? Busy?” she replied. “Don’t worry about it! I got a whole hour of sleep last night, so I’m just raring to go!” I start to feel a little worried for her. If I could just do a good job, maybe Isabelle would be able to get some more rest.
“Well then, let me explain the prerequisites for the permit,” Isabelle began. She started to list what needed to be done. Apparently, getting my down payment soon would seem important, as I needed to own a ‘house’, and not a tent, to gain approval for the permit. Second, the citizens must give their approval of me putting down development plans for the town.
Isabelle explained that she would hold daily surveys to gauge what the villagers think of me, and this could be done by improving the town and the life of the villagers. I was confused. “But if I cannot make any development plans of the town, how can I improve it?” “Owh, don’t you worry about that, Mayor Melyora! It’s about the small things. Pulling weeds, recycling trash, becoming friends with the villagers and helping with their requests is about all you’ll have to do! Just take your time.” She then explained some more about the permit.
“Isabelle?” I asked. “Why is there a house being build? As the mayor, shouldn’t I be informed?” “Well, not really,” she said. “According to law, a house can be built if approved by Town Hall. And the previous mayor wrote an ordinance that Town Hall should allow anyone to move in, at the limit of 11 houses, including the mayor’s house. I think it’s a wonderful idea from Mr. Tortimer. In Wildwood, we’ve seen a decline in villagers that want to live here in the recent years, so I think this makes moving in here much more accessible! I hope we’ll see more people moving in here soon!” Isabelle being so enthusiastic makes it hard for me to deny here, so for now I decided to let this case rest.

I asked Isabelle for advice for living in town. She grinned, saying that for living-related questions I should stand at the reception desk. We went over there and Isabelle got a stack of papers. Then she gave me all sorts of advice. How to plant trees, how to catch fish and bugs, that the villagers love to get letters. She even gave me a basket of oranges that her mother had sent, and that sharing is what good puppies do. She also gave me a watering can for the flowerd around town. For the equipment for catching fish and bugs, Isabelle advised me to go to the Nookling Junction, the store on Main street from Timmy and Tommy. A clothing store run by the Able Sisters was where I should be able to buy some new clothes. I decided to do just that!

Running through town again I shook some more trees for Bells and ran into Felicity. “Hello Mayor Melyora!” she greeted cheerfully. “Is it alright if I call you Melyora? Anyway, I just bought this new shirt, what do you think?” she asked and twirled around once. I couldn’t for the life of me remember what she was wearing yesterday, but honestly told her it looked good on her, because it did. “Thank you!” she smiled. “Here, I want you to have this. It’s a stylish suit! I think it would great on you as the mayor!” she said as she handed me a package. “T-thank you,” I stammered, surprised by the gift. “No worries, mimimi! In a small town like this, everybody helps each other out. And by the looks from yesterday, I suppose you could make great use of this! See you later, Melyora!” she waved and jogged off. I wasn’t sure if I had just been helped out or insulted…

I went to Main Street and bought a shovel, net and fishing pole from the Nooklings. Whether it was Timmy or Tommy I didn’t know. I also bought some cloudy stationary. Maybe I would take Isabelle’s advise and write Francine a letter to thank her for this morning. I walked into the clothing store and met the Able Sisters. Mable was really nice and open-hearted about the store, while her sister was working on her sewing machine. I decided to buy a gray parka to use when I was in my tent, it felt really nice and warm. I asked if I could use their dressing room to try on Felicity’s gift and it was no problem at all.
Somehow, the stylish suit fit just right, and I had to give her credit, I looked very official. It did have that mayor-look to it. I decided to keep it on as I went on my business today. Mable suggested to visit Blathers at the Museum. She said she thought he had some trouble with the Museum and that I, as mayor, might be able to help out.

And this proved to be very true. Blathers was a great, absent-minded, owl, who told me the Museum had been empty for a few years, with other Museums extracting their goods due to the lack of visitors in Wildwood. Blathers told me that they needed donations of fish, bugs, fossils and art to fill up the empty Museum. If I would be so kind to sent specimen I collect to him? Well, I suppose I couldn’t refuse as the mayor of Wildwood, could I? I reassured Blathers that I would look into the matter and try to collect some things for the Museum.

View attachment 237522

Attachments

• HNI_0062.JPG
    HNI_0062.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 12
  • HNI_0064.JPG
    HNI_0064.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 10
  • HNI_0095.JPG
    HNI_0095.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 265
  • HNI_0085.JPG