• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

AC:NL Guide Copyright Discussion

Fjoora

Artist Extraordinaire
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Voodoo Doll
Pink Hybrid Lily
Red Lily
Tasty Cake
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
森
ぶ
の
ど
う
I'm considering making a brief video looking over the inside contents of the guide I received in the mail.
How much do you think I could show or talk about without Nintendo Dream breathing down my back?

i think if you didn't show pictures/etc and didn't read straight off it like just talked about what was in the guide/summarized it you'd be okay?

Yeah, as long as you don't show anything or read word for word, I would think you'd be fine. It'd pretty much just be free advertising for the people who made the guide if you just give us a description of what kind of stuff is inside it.

Technically you can't "show" anything. You can't go into detail about everything either. The best thing to do is give a summarized description and give credit to them before they come after you for that.

There is a big thing to keep in mind if you do this. Even by reading the book out loud (extensively) you are infringing on copyright unless the book is in the public domain (which it is not). The general idea of something you could do would be to post it as a "review" and mention the key reasons why you think this strategy guide is better than others.

You can show the cover, because I can't imagine anyone being upset about free publicity. If you post it to youtube you aren't gaining any money from it, and if it has copyright issues, Youtube notifies you and it is taken down.

I can't imagine Nintendo Dream going after a youtube video unless you went through page by page and continued uploading it. Since there are no audio-books of this strategy guide, you are pretty in the clear to talk about the book itself and parts of it.

EDIT:

There is a "Fair Use" rule for copyrighted material, and it is even more flexible when it comes to books, as it is nearly impossible to review without reading parts of it and such. The general rule of thumb is not a majority of the book, and not to generate revenue from your video.

Also, from Youtube:

What are the consequences of copyright infringement?

On YouTube, the consequences of copyright infringement are simple. We comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and other applicable copyright laws. Under these laws, we remove videos when properly notified that they violate copyright.
If we receive a valid infringement notification identifying videos in your account, they will be removed and you will receive a strike. If you receive three strikes, your YouTube account will be terminated. At time of termination, all your other videos will be removed and you will be permanently blocked from creating new accounts or accessing YouTube's community features in the future.
In addition, copyright owners may choose to sue for infringement. In the U.S., copyright infringement may result in statutory damages of up to $150,000 per work and, in some cases, criminal penalties.

Just play it safe I guess.

Last edited:
There is a big thing to keep in mind if you do this. Even by reading the book out loud (extensively) you are infringing on copyright unless the book is in the public domain (which it is not). The general idea of something you could do would be to post it as a "review" and mention the key reasons why you think this strategy guide is better than others.

You can show the cover, because I can't imagine anyone being upset about free publicity. If you post it to youtube you aren't gaining any money from it, and if it has copyright issues, Youtube notifies you and it is taken down.

I can't imagine Nintendo Dream going after a youtube video unless you went through page by page and continued uploading it. Since there are no audio-books of this strategy guide, you are pretty in the clear to talk about the book itself and parts of it.

EDIT:

There is a "Fair Use" rule for copyrighted material, and it is even more flexible when it comes to books, as it is nearly impossible to review without reading parts of it and such. The general rule of thumb is not a majority of the book, and not to generate revenue from your video.

Also, from Youtube:

What are the consequences of copyright infringement?

On YouTube, the consequences of copyright infringement are simple. We comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and other applicable copyright laws. Under these laws, we remove videos when properly notified that they violate copyright.
If we receive a valid infringement notification identifying videos in your account, they will be removed and you will receive a strike. If you receive three strikes, your YouTube account will be terminated. At time of termination, all your other videos will be removed and you will be permanently blocked from creating new accounts or accessing YouTube's community features in the future.
In addition, copyright owners may choose to sue for infringement. In the U.S., copyright infringement may result in statutory damages of up to $150,000 per work and, in some cases, criminal penalties.

Just play it safe I guess.

Ah, well I wasn't planning on reading any of it and because of the size of things, it's not like the quality will be exceptional.
I just wanted to look at some points of interest or some nice looking pages.

I'd say what you'd basically have to do is treat it like you're trying to review the book. Don't read everything it says. Like say for example, if the book has a very nice and detailed breakdown of the flower hybrid system, tell us that. Don't show us anything, but explain why you think it's such a good guide.

If the pictures are nice and clear, tell us that too. I'd say you have to treat it as if you're trying to convince us to buy it. xD

Back