ACNL fanart! Please give me more ideas! :D

Grimsly

Bells
Carnival Coins
Grimsly's Creature:
Looking for requests!
I won't be doing them all, just the ones I like.
Only have about 11 pages left of my watercolour paper.
Please try and give me details like the sky, scenery etc it makes it a lot easier for me!
Good luck :)

33ax7ci.jpg

Last edited:
Your coloring is awesome! I like the lighting, it really brings the pieces to life. Really fancy work. :)
As for ideas, maybe Tangy or Espurr?

What are you talkin about, that Julian piece is amazing! The sunset, the art style, shading, colour choice, it's all so great! What medium are you using to draw these on?

As for AC, maybe Phoebe the Phoenix?

omg this is so beautiful! do you have a social media where you post your drawings? I would love to see more ^^
as for suggestions, maybe Biskit and/or Lucky?

Since you're asking for ideas, how about Admiral? He's fairly underappreciated and could go well in your style.

For extra details, perhaps he could be flying at night, during a clear sky over the ocean.

I've only recently started using watercolour.... and I gotta ask.... what are you using to create the highlights? I always just avoid those bits but that doesn't look like what you did ^__^

Also, maybe you could draw Phineas hanging out in a town? maybe sitting on a pwp or hanging out in brewsters.... or brewster himself! god. I love my two old guys, they go pretty unappreciated (well, more so phineas)

I think the rare sunset colouring would go well with phineas' palette

tumblr_n8q659IgUT1rov8uxo5_400.jpg

I've only recently started using watercolour.... and I gotta ask.... what are you using to create the highlights? I always just avoid those bits but that doesn't look like what you did ^__^

Also, maybe you could draw Phineas hanging out in a town? maybe sitting on a pwp or hanging out in brewsters.... or brewster himself! god. I love my two old guys, they go pretty unappreciated (well, more so phineas)

I think the rare sunset colouring would go well with phineas' palette

tumblr_n8q659IgUT1rov8uxo5_400.jpg

I use the faber castell watercolour pencils (set of 12), water brush pen, prismacolor premier colouring pencils for some detail but not always, and for the white highlights a uniball signo white gel pen :D

Your art is gorgeous! I'd like to suggest Muffy or Rasher. Muffy always makes me laugh when she talks about "turf wars". I always envision her running around armed with a Heavy Splatling gun from Splatoon. Rasher just intrigues me. I'd like to know the stories behind his stitches & scars. I always feel like he's a little lonely - not that he'd ever admit it.

Edit: I realized I didn't suggest any backgrounds or anything. I don't expect you to actually draw Muffy with a Splatling gun but I think a paint splattered wall behind her while might look cute. As for Rasher maybe standing under a streetlight on a street corner looking wistful?

Last edited:
I use the faber castell watercolour pencils (set of 12), water brush pen, prismacolor premier colouring pencils for some detail but not always, and for the white highlights a uniball signo white gel pen :D

So, those are all traditional hand drawn? Omg such talent. If you feel like it, can you give this amateur artist some tips on how you use them? I've been thinking of gettin better colored pencils but I really have no idea where to start.

Also do you use the water brush pen on the paper, or only sometimes?

Oh my gosh, your art is so gorgeous! <3 This is my favorite spot in town- I?d love if you could draw O?Hare sitting there and drinking coffee, maybe during a purple sunrise? If you want to ^u^

DS67XKOV4AAvZKJ

So, those are all traditional hand drawn? Omg such talent. If you feel like it, can you give this amateur artist some tips on how you use them? I've been thinking of gettin better colored pencils but I really have no idea where to start.

Also do you use the water brush pen on the paper, or only sometimes?

Yeeup, everything in this thread will be traditional as I can't get on the computer often enough to draw digitally. There's virtually no difference between using digital and traditional methods except the medium so digital is still hand drawn.

The Faber Castells are watercolour pencils so you put a light layer of pigment onto the page and use a brush and water to turn it into watercolour on the page. The water brush is just like a paint brush but with a chamber to put water so the water very slowly comes out as you use them. I love them for quick doodles like these as it means I don't have to mess about with cups of water! :D As for normal coloured pencil I would recommend Faber Castell Polychromos (these are the best) or Prismacolor pencils! If budget is super tight, Crayola coloured pencils are fantastic and I actually used them all the way up until about a year ago. I also highly recommend that you get a helix pencil sharpener (available on amazon) as the leads in these pencils are very soft so a normal sharpener will break the leads.
As for technique that is more something you learn as you practice with any medium. I will always say practice practice practice! If you want to learn you MUST dedicate time! It is recommended to draw for minimum 30 minutes every day to progress but I would actually say that the minimum should be 1 hour. I used to be pretty damn amazing but I stopped drawing for about 2-3 years and have lost a lot of my ability. Also, take your time with your drawings, even if you aren't enjoying it. There's nothing wrong with taking 5+ hours on a drawing. The more time you spend it'll be more likely to turn out good. Also, with normal coloured pencils I would say to do light layers and build slowly rather than pressing down super hard. Here's some videos to help as it is hard for me to show someone any of these things without them here with me:

Coloured Pencil Blending Techniques
Similar to the above
Watercolour pencil tutorial
Water brush tutorial (I use these brushes)
Drawing fundamentals
Painting fundamentals - This is digital but this applies to traditional too and has really helped me. This guy is my go to when recommending educational videos
Read the parts on colour and texture! Having a limited palette, even if its 20 colours, is better than unlimited. If you struggled to figure out a pallette, all pastels or muted tones will work together but a picture of nothing but brights is harder to pull off
THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST PLAYLIST OF TUTORIALS (warning there is some nudity in some of these videos as he does figure drawing in many of them)

Wow, thanks for all the great tips AND videos! Def gotta bring my earbuds to work so I can use the WiFi there to watch them.

I currently use crayola colored pencils, and I alway thought that I could have better, more actual serious artist ones, but I've also been coloring wrong as I have a tendency to press hard.
And thanks so much for taking the time to type this all out and include videos, this will really help me get better art drawing traditionally :D

Back