Pokémon Are you a player who doesn't care what Pokèmon you use for boss battles in story mode?

Mr_Persona

🤍🌌✨🌌🤍
Bells
Spring Sakura
Holiday Candy Cane 2022
Rosewater Potion
Blue Rosewater Potion
Enchanted Butterfly Glow Wand
Aurora Sky
Red Super Star Trophy
Eerie Star Potion
Holiday Candy Cane 2018
Purple Bat Potion
I really don't care if I use a Pokemon who isn't the right type to fight against that specific Pokemon. I use any none grass type Pokemon who are over leveled, has good moves that do damage, and can survive from strong attacks. For final boss fights I am more careful and actually use the right Pokemon, but with regular boss fights I'm careful and reckless.

Imo it's just faster that way because I don't want to deal with getting everyone set up.

I usually just go with my strongest team, usually my permanent team, regardless of type-match. I do try to have at least one strong Pokémon of every type though that can kind of spearhead the battle, but I don't have specific teams for specific types.

Last edited:
I use my favourites, despite maybe some of them being weak. For my Shield run, I went against Allister with an Aegislash, one of my favourite Ghosts. I swept Raihan with my Blastoise and RayRay that I Home-sent from Sword. RayRay is a strong legendary that seems silly using in story mode, but I did enjoy it. I wondered...did Kabu wonder how a teenage kid get a level 70 Rayquaza? Its just how I play though.

Well considering how long it took me to beat Cynthia in BD I had to use different Pokemon and thank goodness I got a Roserade and Golem to help me out.

If I have a Pokemon who has a type advantage or has a move that is type advantage I'll throw them out but I won't go out of my way to do it. I'll go through the entire game with the same team, just adding to it until I have 6.

The vast majority of battles in story mode can be facerolled with one or two hits anyway so I don't see the need to prepare more than just healing at the Pokecenter before doing a 'boss battle'. Hell, if I've cleared the gym I'll at best just use a few potions. Going back out and to the Pokecenter probably won't make or break my chance of winning.

I only use Pokémon that I like. I don’t care about type advantages or anything. I try to make sure my Pokémon are a certain level at least before reaching a certain point in the game. I just use a ton of potions and revives if I’m in a tough spot.

i try to plan my pokemon teams around type versatility, whether it's via actual pokemon type or by learnset, so i do care about using things that match up properly, but i'm not gonna swap out my team members with anything else for the sake of type advantage. i just send out what i've got and hope i did a good enough job planning things out lol

I used to do a lot of planning for my Pokemon teams, but now I just use a variety of Pokemon on my team with different types in story mode. I usually use my favorites and make sure my Pokemon have various types of moves to prepare for boss fights. I find that having a sufficient supply of potions and battle items helps tremendously in battles.

Due to me being older and more knowledgeable of the games, I tend to place restrictions on myself to artificially make the game harder for myself.

Things like:
- Level Cap per gym badge
- Limited Items for a 'section' (between gyms)
- Limiting myself to one catch per area (not Nuzlocke rules)

Among other things, so having these restrictions often means I need to plan out my teams a bit more since losing over and over isn't super fun. There are many different ways to enjoy Pokemon, this is just mine.

And its gonna be no different with Pokemon Legends: Arceus, and eventually Generation 9.

Yeah it really doesn't matter in newer games, but I try to go for the type advantages.

But I'm kinda bored of it. Started my first Nuzlocke with Emerald and it's just more engaging to struggle and think. I've played enough Pokémon to know enough to just breeze through the main story, but it's so boring. Exp share just saves you from grinding.

If you mean for stuff like Elite Four and such, then yeah I basically use whatever strongest stuff I have just to blaze through it. For gyms, the same but obviously trying to match level caps.

Yes, almost always because I want to progress as fast as possible. There isn't much to the "story mode" anyway so having type advantages against bosses allows me to get to the endgame faster.

i find that my team comp adapts as I play the game. some pokémon are good early game, but then lag behind later on and serve little use, so I’ll swap them. By the end, all the pokémon I use should fulfill some sort of role and have good type coverage

Back