• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Be Careful With Your Phones!

BluebellLight

bob is love bob is life
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Winter Mittens
April Birthstone (Diamond)
I just encountered an error I thought you all should be aware of. I was playing ACNL and my 3ds was resting on top of my phone. My phone vibrated and all of a sudden my game completely froze! My 3DS blacked out and then went to the home screen and said "An error has occurred. The system will now restart." Luckily my save data is fine! Just watch where you put your electronics or you might have to start your day all over again!

It was probably the cellular waves interfering with the 3DS' hardware.

Similar thing happened to me when I set my 3DS down on top of my tablet, which has a magnetic case. I figured that since the magnets don't interfere with the tablet the 3DS would be fine, but it distorted the picture hardcore and nearly gave me a heart attack.

Basically just keep your 3DS away from everything but your own two hands and it'll be fine.

Unless you drop it. ;)

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing!
Thank gods that your game data didn't corrupt or anything!

I will second the warning about keeping the 3DS away from magnets!

My mother also has a magnetic case on her tablet. When I place my system too close to it, the screen flickers off and stays off until I move it away from the magnet again. I haven't had a crash yet, but I'm sure it'll happen if I'm not careful.

Technology really doesn't play nice with magnets.

Oh whoaa scary, I think I had that happen to my 3DS and then my whole game restarted and I just ended up starting from the beginning again on my game which was Tomodachi life

Wow, thanks for the warning :eek: Definitely keep electronics away from magnets!

:eek: good i don't have phone in the nearby surroundings, but mine is like 5-6 years old so hopefully it won't flick too much.

Basically, it's good advice to keep electronics away from other electronics. I learned that years ago which is why I tend to keep my 3DS off of other electronics unless both are powered off. Why I started keeping electronics separate was because of the fact that it was a rumor the an iPad could charge an iPhone if you put them on top of each other, but in reality if you did that, it would create an overcharge effect which could blow up the iPhone. Plus, I also found out that my electronics each had their own magnetic effect, which caused me to keep them more separate.

P.S., another word of advice relating to this, DO NOT charge or play near an exterior wall/window with your 3DS or any other device during a lightning or thunder storm. Worst case scenario that if a lightning strike happened close by, you may get electrocuted or your device will get overcharged.

Last edited:
oh geez, thank you for letting us know! I keep my phone on my ds sometimes so ill be sure to stop :eek: ! you just saved my life ;)

A similar thing used to happen to me. Sometimes I would be using my iPad and my 3ds at the same time. Sometimes, when my iPad touched my 3ds the screen would go black, and then I took it away and it would be fine.
I guess it's just a weird thing between electronics

Oooh... thank you for the warning. I do leave them pretty close to each other, but never on top. Ah I should be more careful from now on.

On a similar note, I've set electronics (my 3DS, tablet, iPod) down on my laptop and sometimes my laptop screen would totally turn off. It doesn't always, but it does on occasion. Kind of annoying but something to be cautious of. I try to set my stuff down next to it now instead of on top when I can, though my desk space is very limited.

I haven't had any weird stuff, or corruptions happen but, I have a habit of laying my 3DS on top of my laptop and the magnets on the side of my laptop make my 3DS think that it's closed since I guess theres magnets on the top of the device that connects with some on the bottom to close it? That's what I'm guessing any way since every time I do that, and then move my 3DS it wakes back up. I've lost a lot of online connections that way...

Thank you for this handy bit of important information, I sorta figured that phones might disrupt a 3DS functions, but now I shall be extra cautious because I am always in bed playing NL and I sometimes have my phone right next to it! Spread the word!

hey, thanks for this useful information! this has not happened to me yet, but since i tend to use electronics a lot, so i'll keep this in mind for future reference.
i'm curious however, does this apply to all 3ds versions like the xl and the 2ds? or does it apply to only one version?

Last edited:
Similar thing happened to me when I set my 3DS down on top of my tablet, which has a magnetic case. I figured that since the magnets don't interfere with the tablet the 3DS would be fine, but it distorted the picture hardcore and nearly gave me a heart attack.

Basically just keep your 3DS away from everything but your own two hands and it'll be fine.[/U][/U][/I][/I]

Unless you drop it. ;)

I dropped my DS at school and look at me lol im playing tomo right now :p

Wow! Thanks for letting us know! I put my phone near my DS sometimes, never doing that again!

Back