• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Blue roses? Help!

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
7880-6396-0504
Tasty Cake
Pear (Fruit)
Small Mailbox
Cake
I read that the following procedure creates blue roses:

1. mix red/yellow to make orange.
2. mix white/white to make purple.
3. mix orange/purple to make "special" red roses.
4. mix two special red roses to have a very rare chance at blue roses.

I tried mixing red/yellow for orange, but I ended up with some black roses. They do look like a dark reddish/brown (it's kinda hard to tell, but ya know).
Do you think these black roses are the "special" red roses?

Is the procedure even remotely correct? I'm lost.

The black roses are not the special red roses, they are just black roses :p

Just keep trying to breed the orange and purple rose until you get two "special" reds. They have the exact same appearance as a regular red rose. Then breed those. I'm currently doing the same as you :)

White and white makes purple!? Someone told me it was white and red Dx

White and red makes pink.

It is pretty ****ed up to ahve to get a 'special' red rose and it looks the ****ing same as a regular one

White and white makes purple!? Someone told me it was white and red Dx
white and red makes pink
it's kinda random sometimes though
likkkeeeee..... sometimes pink and pink makes purple
or sometimes pink and white.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It is pretty ****ed up to ahve to get a 'special' red rose and it looks the ****ing same as a regular one

Yeah... that's confusing... how would one even know if it's special?
Also, I thought that pink and purple made blue also?

No, it's not. It's actually pretty clever that Nintendo did it like that. They injected a bit of genetics into the game.

Alright, for those of you who don't know about inheritance with genetics, this post will explain how the "special" red roses makes sense.

Inheritance works like this: Say your mother has green eyes, and your father has brown eyes.Now, in your DNA, there will be two genes that determine eye color. In this example, it will be simplified. A capital G will stand for the dominant trait, green eyes. A lowercase g will stand for the recessive trait, brown eyes.

If you have a G, then you will have green eyes no matter what. So, if you have the GG genes, you will have green eyes. The same goes for the Gg genes. However, if, and only if you have gg, then you will have brown eyes.

Traits are passed down, in what is known as a Punnett square. It will look like the following:

pxg3.png

In this image, the top row is what the mother's genes are. As she has Gg, she therefore has green eyes. The father, on the left, has gg, and brown eyes. The possible children's genetics are Gg and gg, which means 75% chance to be green eyes, and 25% to be brown eyes.

Now, the way this works for roses is as follows: All red roses that are randomly grown or bought from the store are pure red flowers, which will be RR in this case. When you breed the pure red flower with a purple flower, the offspring red flowers will gain the recessive trait, the lowercase r. They will still appear to be red, however, they will have the Rr genetic code. Therefore, when breeding the "special" red roses, both of which will be an Rr type, there will be the chance to get the rr flower, which is the blue rose.

I know this was very wordy, but I hope it explains how the "special" red rose flower breeding works.

No, it's not. It's actually pretty clever that Nintendo did it like that. They injected a bit of genetics into the game.

Alright, for those of you who don't know about inheritance with genetics, this post will explain how the "special" red roses makes sense.

Inheritance works like this: Say your mother has green eyes, and your father has brown eyes.Now, in your DNA, there will be two genes that determine eye color. In this example, it will be simplified. A capital G will stand for the dominant trait, green eyes. A lowercase g will stand for the recessive trait, brown eyes.

If you have a G, then you will have green eyes no matter what. So, if you have the GG genes, you will have green eyes. The same goes for the Gg genes. However, if, and only if you have gg, then you will have brown eyes.

Traits are passed down, in what is known as a Punnett square. It will look like the following:

pxg3.png

In this image, the top row is what the mother's genes are. As she has Gg, she therefore has green eyes. The father, on the left, has gg, and brown eyes. The possible children's genetics are Gg and gg, which means 75% chance to be green eyes, and 25% to be brown eyes.

Now, the way this works for roses is as follows: All red roses that are randomly grown or bought from the store are pure red flowers, which will be RR in this case. When you breed the pure red flower with a purple flower, the offspring red flowers will gain the recessive trait, the lowercase r. They will still appear to be red, however, they will have the Rr genetic code. Therefore, when breeding the "special" red roses, both of which will be an Rr type, there will be the chance to get the rr flower, which is the blue rose.

I know this was very wordy, but I hope it explains how the "special" red rose flower breeding works.

Oh! Whoa! I didn't even know that Nintendo had implented genetics into the game, that's actually pretty damn awesome! *-* Green eyes are recessive to brown eyes though (they are only dominant to blue ) :p

Thank you so much for explaining what the special red roses are :)

Oh! Whoa! I didn't even know that Nintendo had implented genetics into the game, that's actually pretty damn awesome! *-* Green eyes are recessive to brown eyes though (they are only dominant to blue ) :p

Thank you so much for explaining what the special red roses are :)

Meh. I just used eye color as my example :/

And not a problem! I tried to figure out if it was possible to trace the genetic coding of all the other flowers to try and find a percentage on how often they'll grow, but when I tried that out, it didn't work out.

A Purple x White violet flower cross results in either purple or blue, but not white, which it should.

Back