• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

data questions.... (for the people who can play the game)

If the game data saves onto the SD card and not onto the internal 3DS memory, then yeah, I don't see why you couldn't make two towns with different SD cards.

NO!!!
I tried this with my first town. I had two towns on two different SD cards and ended up losing my original town because I accidentally saved over it to make the other town my main town (even though it was on a different SD card). Dx

Quote from someone after I lost my first town:
Maybe Nintendo didn't want people "copying" or making "second" towns on Animal Crossing. So when you started up the game on the other SD card, the game told you that you had another save saved somewhere else, and asked if you wanted to forget about the save and make a new one on the current SD card.

The game will probably recognize saves though some kind of "ID" system. That way people cant share saves. Also, hitting the option gave you a new "ID" so the old save isn't recognized anymore.

I hope I made sense. I'm a Computer Science guy and sometimes I might use to much jargon or go into confusing detail.

Sounds like its like some sort of serial number or something attached to the save and some internal storage or something, so if you try to copy / move your save game it'll look at the save and assume its corrupted or not yours and basically ignore it, starting again.

decent step to stop people from just effectively giving their village out to others.

Last edited:
Sounds like its like some sort of serial number or something attached to the save and some internal storage or something, so if you try to copy / move your save game it'll look at the save and assume its corrupted or not yours and basically ignore it, starting again.

decent step to stop people from just effectively giving their village out to others.

Yes that makes since about itt hinking your town is corrupted..

I think I will keep this thread incase someone has the curiosity of this.

Does that mean if someone inserted a physical copy of ACNL to their 3DS after already downloading a digital copy it would make 2 towns? :/

Does that mean if someone inserted a physical copy of ACNL to their 3DS after already downloading a digital copy it would make 2 towns? :/

I would think the physical copy would save to the cart it's on and so it would be safe if you had one town on the cart and one on the SD card. I could be wrong though.

Oh ok, thanks! I pre-ordered a copy off of Amazon a while back but really want to get a digital copy so I don't have to carry around a cartridge. Would be great if it would be the same save data between both of them. Guess I'll just wait and see!

Back