• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Definitive ranking of all math subjects - Part 1 (Basic Math)

Alolan_Apples

Old > New
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
As I was working on my Math presentations, I've began to remember how fun or how boring some concepts in Math is. For my entertainment, I decided to rank all the concepts in Math from what I liked most of each Math to what I liked least for the next six blog entries.

Remember when I said I will make a Math PowerPoint? I decided I'm gonna have 10 different slideshows with six chapters each, all of them pertaining to the same subject. Right now, I finished one slideshow, as I'm working on my second. And the first three slideshows are all on Basic Math. For the first six years when I was in school, that was all I learned. But since I started learning Algebra in school, I have not studied anything easier. I started learning it in the 7th grade, and not once have I even taken a math course easier than the Algebra class I took back then. And it's almost 12 years ago. Basically, I was used to the harder maths for a very long time, and by going back to the lower levels when writing my slideshows, I can't believe how boring the lower levels have gotten. Even so, I still have to put it in my slideshows to have a thorough teaching of Math done by my slideshows.

Today's blog entry is on Basic Math and its concepts. This is basically everything in Math you have learned in elementary school, every Math before you started seeing variables. I ranked the 25 concepts I could think of from Basic Math, based on what I enjoyed most in this level and what I enjoyed least.

1. Factoring - not only this is my favorite math from this level, but it's also where I came up with a new theory. We know that addition and subtraction are simple take away/give away, combine or split operations. But as it piles up through multiplication, more properties of numbers have been discovered, and this is one of them. Factoring includes listing factors, finding prime and composite numbers, tree factoring, greatest common factor, and least common multiple.
  2. Units of Measurement - although this isn't necessarily a concept in math, it is one of the applications of math in general. When I was younger, this was one of my favorite maths. I enjoy learning about measurements, especially on length and time. In case if you want to know, this subject includes units of time, length, temperature, weight, and volume, as well as the difference between imperial and metric systems.
  3. Fractions - when you first learn about them, you would think of them as fun math. But when you start mixing them with whole numbers in operations, they become your enemy. Just the simplifying of fractions, addition and subtraction, improper fractions, unlike denominators, and multiplication and division are good enough, but when you see them in Algebra or Calculus, you will hate them.
  4. Exponents - although they are not very common down here, this is one of the few maths I can do and feel like I'm home. Like I said before, I was used to doing the higher levels of math, so I can pick exponents as my favorite of the operators. But the scary part about this - is negative exponents. It's not hard, but I don't like microscopic views.
  5. Combinations - calculating combinations is another thing I did like. You don't have to use them all. I just like to calculate them.
  6. Geometry - although I prefer the higher levels more since there are more shapes and more formulas, elementary-level geometry was great at best.
  7. Probability - another math I would call "fun math", but that's because I liked modeling with math.
  8. Order of Operations - as someone who can't stand simple math anymore, more steps makes math more fun - to me that is. What I don't like about it is the stupid nemonic associated with this. I didn't even learn this with the nemonic.
  9. Roots - I did like finding roots, such as square roots and cube roots, but when you put in the wrong number, you're gonna get an ugly decimal. And higher level maths always uses incompatible numbers with square roots.
  10. Graphs and Charts - not the kind of graphs you see in Algebra and beyond, but this is about models, and I do like models. My favorite graphs are pie graphs, but my least favorite are line graphs.
  11. Money - stuff like accounting and calculating with money at least have more math to do, but I'm not into it as much.
  12. Data Sets - stuff like stem and leaf plots, averages, modes, and medians, you know.
  13. Rational Conversions - don't like decimals? You can put them into fractions or percentages.
  14. Ratios - same as fractions, but only exclusive to models with no operators needed.
  15. Percentages - as they are considered rational numbers, they are kinda interesting.
  16. Integers - of the three (integers, decimals, and fractions), they are the easiest to work with. And they're pretty numbers.
  17. Division - of the four basic operators, division would be my favorite. Except when it comes to decimals. And when you get to a level where you can no longer use remainders, it becomes an operator to hate.
  18. Approximations - stuff such as rounding off and absolute value are part of this. I don't like it as much because of how simple it is, but I like it.
  19. Scientific Notation - I'm not into writing numbers into scientific notation. Granted, it does save space, but it's not one of my favorites.
  20. Multiplication - this is when math begins to pile up on itself. As addition and subtraction are simple changes, multiplication is another level.
  21. Addition - very simple math. As an operator, I do like, but simple addition problems, I'm done with. I would rather use a calculator to do this.
  22. Subtraction - of the four basic operators, this is my least favorite. Subtraction isn't too hard, but I didn't like it as much.
  23. Inequalities - I do like comparing and ranking stuff, but not as much with numbers. Also, this may include ranges (like finite numbers and infinite numbers), which I don't like.
  24. Counting - if you want to know the simplest math there is, it's not even addition or subtraction with just one digit. It goes back even further. It's kindergarten math. I can't even do these anymore because of how super simple it is. If this is the hardest math you know, then you have a lot to go.
  25. Decimals - ever since I started learning about decimals, I never liked them. And I still hate them. Multiplying and dividing by them make them even worse. Good thing they are used a lot less as you go higher up in math, but you can't get away from them when it comes to models.

Basically, math is not as fun at this level as it once was, but this is the basic stuff we should know if you want to get a good understanding of math and science.

What about calculus? The study of functions and all that? I don't see it up there.
Edit: nvm this is just basic stuff. pre-calc is pretty basic tho

I actually kinda like calculus but I really like geometry and trig the most :p

I personally think that the best type of math is algebra because it's like the root of every other complicated form of math. Once you learn algebra everything else becomes 10x easier.

Last edited:
Yep, it was basic math I was ranking concepts of. I still have yet to evaluate Trigonometry, Algebra, Statistics, and Geometry. Calculus is more than what I know about it so I couldn't rank the concepts there.

2 words: screw math. People can argue that its necessary, but the moment the devil began to involve the alphabet with math thats when I grew to absolutely hate it.

N e s s;bt13701 said:
2 words: screw math. People can argue that its necessary, but the moment the devil began to involve the alphabet with math thats when I grew to absolutely hate it.

Yes, I can see that letters in math begin to screw things over, but you are not gonna like it when you see other akward symbols (like d/dx). The minute you start hearing about rates of change or area under a curve is the minute you would finally step away from math.

Back