• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Developer Design Intentions VS How People Actually Play - conflictions?

billowillo

Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
When explaining Animal Crossing to someone who has never heard of it I often times explain it as "Collecting - the Game". Nearly any goal set in Animal Crossing has to do with collecting something - whether it be furniture for your house or art pieces for the museum its always about gathering things. People who have played animal crossing for a long time have very good collections; large amount of critters in the museum, furniture displayed in the house, flowers are fruit trees scattered across the town, etc. None of these things are given to the player, they must play the game to earn them.

Since the game is about collecting many people set up goals based around collecting. These goals range from small goals which are seen as short term goal; something the player will be able to accomplish in a few hours of gametime such as collecting enough sea shells on the shore to get to the next house upgrade. On the other hand, when a player has completed many small goals they start to think of slightly bigger ones, they may think to themselves "over the course of this week I want to fill this room with furniture from a specific set.". To accomplish this goal they will check the store on a daily basis and also attempt to find people to trade with to achieve this goal. These goals are all fine and they are doable, something to work towards in the game. A lot of the people still playing New Leaf since release are attempting to move onto much larger goals, ones that could take months to complete. The player has come up with a much larger goal - possibly collecting all of the gyroids or DJ KK albums, possibly even completing the catalog, this is where the design flaws start to shine.

The player starts pondering how they will go about achieving these goals. They may do some calculations on room areas and how much space it will take up to store all these items. Once these calculations are complete the experienced player realizes there is no possible way to accomplish these goals due to lack of space. There is over 90 DJ Albums in the game, the largest room possible is 8X8 which gives an area of 64, meaning even if you put one album per space there is not enough room. Including spots to hang the album on the wall adds an extra 32 spots which means you can nearly put them all in a room but there would be no way to navigate the room. The game also has a cap item limit per room which I'm unsure of the actual value.

The way the game is designed makes it seem they do not want you to achieve these "long term" goals. There's simply not enough space to store things, even on multiple characters. The way it is designed implies the developers intended people to choose specific parts of these larger collections they enjoy - possibly only getting a certain family of a gyroid or genre of KK albums. The issue with this reasoning is the badge system shows they expect you to accomplish these goals if you would like to "100%" the game. For example, theres a badge for saving 1,000,000,000 bells. This badge is extremely difficult to get, brinking on the impossible. Turnips are the most effective way to earn bells if you have a fairly large community to share stalk prices with. The bell tree community did an amazing job at this and it made it possible to get a lot of bells very quickly. Even with these extremely fast way of making bells most people were looking at maybe 1-2m a week with the space they were provided to save turnips. Assuming you earn 2m profit a week and don't spend any bells on other parts of the game it would take 500 (9.6 years) weeks to get the last bell saving achievement.

Why are all these things in the game if it is not possible to get them all in a "collecting" game? It's quite possible I've entirely misinterpreted the design intentions of the game but these short, medium, and long term goals seem like the natural leap to make when first booting up the game.

I'm genuinely curious to the intentions of the developers and how they imagined people enjoying the game. What are your thoughts on this issue and how do you personally play the game, are you one to attempt the "long" term goals? I feel many of the players that have continued to play since release would be the ones who attempt those long term goals; has anyone ran into design issues in the game not giving you the freedom to do what you wish?

Yeah, I will admit getting through the HHA challenge as quickly as possible so 'I could finally decorate how I wanted!' when really, there was no reason I couldn't have ignored the HHA, besides not getting trophies (which now collect metaphorical dust). And I've often thought about the bell badge situation. Right now I'm at about 10m bells in the ABD, and have been more or less for the past 2 months. Even with GracieGrace around the corner, I would be fine with that amount. If I needed to get more, I'd go catch palm tree bugs or cash in perfect fruit. The only reason I find myself saying "how am I going to get more money?" is because of that darn billionaire badge. This.. has kinda disturbed me. The planning turns to scheming. You'd have to sell items at inflated prices, hoard turnips and valuables, or d upe to get even close to this goal. That or plan on spending 3 or 4 hrs every night bug catching (and just that) for the next year or two just to complete the goal. The longest most tedious rpgs don't expect you to grind that much by a long shot. I had to give up bug hunting for a couple weeks because it was taking a toll on my hands.

Now, does Nintendo want you to complete everything on your own? Of course not. I really believe the game rewards you for getting involved in a community, and forums like TBT are part of a meta-game if you will. And decision making is a big, if inferred, part. Do I want to complete this, or just try to help others? Do I make the goal, or do as I please?

I can tell you this much, if I did get billionaire badge there would be a giveaway like you wouldn't believe.

Or here's a modest proposal; why not pool together our resources and pass the 100M around, taking turns keeping it in their abd until they get the badge and pass it on? Now THAT would be the ultimate trust game for AC..

Last edited:
I just want to mention that when I used to do the turnip market, I usually made 10mil a week (9mil on bad weeks, 15 on good ones). I used storage space on an alternate character and stored the turnips there, usually investing about 1-2 mil only. If i really felt dedicated enough, I could use all three of my characters to store turnips, but I honestly don't want to go that far. I could also make multiple trips of the other person was willing enough, sacrificing my town's status by making it a junkyard of turnips. It's very possible to make a lot of money off the turnips, shortening the time frame necessary to reach the 1 billion gold, but it still is a tedious process.

As for the bell trust idea, if it were easier to transfer money to each other, it would be a pretty cool community project. Unfortunately, characters can only hold so much money at once so even that would be annoying to deal with. The fastest way I know of is using Re-Tail, pricing things high and having a player house nearby with the ATB machine in the main room for quick withdrawals/deposits.

I have a real-life friend who is like me and is a completionist, so maybe he and I will work together on that, but I don't know if I really trust anyone online to share my money with. :X

I think of my town and my home as something that is constantly changing, as opposed to having one set idea that I work towards and then I'm done. Today I may like my cabin themed house but maybe next month I want the rococco series. This week I may want a beautiful orchard around my Cafe, but maybe next week I want to change it up and build a park near it. In that regard you're right, I don't think you're intended to "finish" a goal. You're supposed to be living in the town and towns are always changing.

I know there are some things I can do: Completed museum, HHA points, and catalog, but the bells are gonna be a challenge.

If you want to "catch all goals" you should consider switching to Pokemon. AC is a long term game based on developing a town where you can make friendships with fellow inhabitants. Consider the collection perspective as quests that you need to fulfil. In any game, the moment when players are starting to get bored and start to play less, is when all quests have been completed and the highest level has been obtained. AC's long term quests, which seem to be impossible at first sight, ensure that you'll enjoy playing the game for at least a whole year. The monthly events contribute to this idea.

Last edited:
You could compare it to Pokemon in a way. They both have the collecting element, but AC is more about collecting. However, as with EV training and IV/nature breeding in Pokemon, AC has elements that some people just won't be interested in. For example, I'm not really trying to do the HHA things because I just want to decorate how I'd like it. I am however trying to catch all the creatures.

You could compare it to Pokemon in a way. They both have the collecting element, but AC is more about collecting. However, as with EV training and IV/nature breeding in Pokemon, AC has elements that some people just won't be interested in. For example, I'm not really trying to do the HHA things because I just want to decorate how I'd like it. I am however trying to catch all the creatures.

Same, I like to d?corate the way i like :3

I'm trying to complete the museum and I've already gotten the gold 80% catalog badge. I don't think I'll ever be able to 100% the catalog, but that isn't really a goal of mine. I don't care about the HHA theme challenge. I just want to make my town the best it can be. I plan on playing ACNL for years. If AC comes out on the WiiU at some point, I don't plan on getting it. I like the mobility of ACNL on the 3ds.

I think of it as more of a sandbox game. The intention, I believe, is to create a video game that is based on real time with an imaginary town, mimicking real life. Nothing much more, really.

hihi, you're right, i'm new to this game and to Animal Crossing (got it 5 days ago) but i quickly realized it's all about possessions. this game belies this fact very easily! it's also deceptively rich in content and game-play!

my goal right now is to get all the fruits, i'm missing persimmons. after that i don't know yet. i'm basically winging it, not really worried about unlocking everything as quickly/efficiently as possible because i want to just enjoy the exploration.

i think i will enjoy the game as long as there is something else for me to collect, and also as long as i feel i'm making progress.

my guess for the extraordinarily hard goal of saving 1,000,000,000 bells is that it's a challenge set by the developers. to see if anyone can achieve this. it smells like a social-experiment, to see if ppl can collaborate to achieve greatness! (because doing it alone is madness, lol)

hihi, you're right, i'm new to this game and to Animal Crossing (got it 5 days ago) but i quickly realized it's all about possessions. this game belies this fact very easily! it's also deceptively rich in content and game-play!

my goal right now is to get all the fruits, i'm missing persimmons. after that i don't know yet. i'm basically winging it, not really worried about unlocking everything as quickly/efficiently as possible because i want to just enjoy the exploration.

i think i will enjoy the game as long as there is something else for me to collect, and also as long as i feel i'm making progress.

my guess for the extraordinarily hard goal of saving 1,000,000,000 bells is that it's a challenge set by the developers. to see if anyone can achieve this. it smells like a social-experiment, to see if ppl can collaborate to achieve greatness! (because doing it alone is madness, lol)

I'd like to clear something up for everyone that hasn't got this badge; it says "Billionaire" but this is just a horrible typo, and hasn't been corrected yet even on animal crossing Wiki's. I have this badge myself through collaboration with some friends, and you need 100,000,000 (1 hundred million) bells, not 1 Billion. So yes, it is possible to get without doing 9 years of work. xD

My current goals are to get the bug and fish encyclopedia badges, and get some different villagers to move in to unlock some PWP's I've wanted for a long time. ^^

When I saw the title and went into this thread, I had different ideas for how the developer's intentions are different from how many people play the game. I was thinking about how there are so many things that are supposed to be "chance" like your layout, town fruit, grass, villager house placements, PWP requests, and so on. But many people out there spend hours resetting for the perfect town, resetting for the perfect villager house placement, and using the wet suit trick to get all the PWPs they want fairly quickly. It seems like a waste to spend so much time on these things, and makes me wonder (with wishful thinking) why the developers can't let us have more choice and control over things like choosing our town map and villager house locations, saving us a lot of time. But the developers will never make those changes since it's not their vision of how the game should be played.

I'm not really a completionist when it comes to Animal Crossing; I don't go out of my way to collect badges or things I'm not interested in. But I agree that the storage space is unfortunately limited given how many things there are to collect... I'm not even hoarding dozens of villager pictures or Gracie furniture or anything yet -- there's just a lot of stuff I have that I want to hold on to -- and I'm already having storage problems. -_-

Similarly to what Twisk said, I think they expect you to take a more passive role. Whoever wants to move in does, wherever; stores take weeks to upgrade; events are honestly a little sparse. And your mayoral power is weak. I want to be a benevolent dictator of my little town, deciding where houses go, ignoring Isabelle's sometimes insane rules on pwp placement, using all the ordinances.

Also its way easier to complete the museum in this game (other than art maybe). 'Very rare' fish/bugs still turn up at least once in like 2 hours. I caught like two ceolacanths in at least a year of WW playing. I think luck is a bigger factor now.

- - - Post Merge - - -

P.S., I do appreciate that you can satisfyingly play this for 10 minutes a day, or for 4 hours. I think the 'chores' people give themselves ruin the point of the game, like all these people, guessing high schoolers, quitting their game because of schoolwork. At the very least, it's a brief little escape. There usually isn't much to do besides grind for bells after the first 15-30mins.

Last edited:
When I saw the title and went into this thread, I had different ideas for how the developer's intentions are different from how many people play the game. I was thinking about how there are so many things that are supposed to be "chance" like your layout, town fruit, grass, villager house placements, PWP requests, and so on. But many people out there spend hours resetting for the perfect town, resetting for the perfect villager house placement, and using the wet suit trick to get all the PWPs they want fairly quickly. It seems like a waste to spend so much time on these things, and makes me wonder (with wishful thinking) why the developers can't let us have more choice and control over things like choosing our town map and villager house locations, saving us a lot of time. But the developers will never make those changes since it's not their vision of how the game should be played.

I'm not really a completionist when it comes to Animal Crossing; I don't go out of my way to collect badges or things I'm not interested in. But I agree that the storage space is unfortunately limited given how many things there are to collect... I'm not even hoarding dozens of villager pictures or Gracie furniture or anything yet -- there's just a lot of stuff I have that I want to hold on to -- and I'm already having storage problems. -_-

i think no matter how the game is made, there will never be one that is perfect in every way that will equally satisfy everyone's wishes and liking. becoz human nature is like that. we aren't satisfied with what we have. and when we do get what we didn't have, we will look for the next thing to want.

ultimately, the enjoyment of the game boils down to whether or not one accepts the game as it is, for what it is. like many things in life, stress/frustration is self-imposed, a choice. players don't need to spend hours and hours resetting to get the perfect village, but inevitably many will.

also it's easy to forget that this game is rated for ages 7 and up. it's going to be (appropriately) whimsical in nature. it's no place for adults to be applying their notions of worldly order and utopia! :rolleyes:

having said that, how dare the developers give us such paltry storage options! we need vast amounts of storage! lots and lots of it! mountains of storage! ;)

i think no matter how the game is made, there will never be one that is perfect in every way that will equally satisfy everyone's wishes and liking. becoz human nature is like that. we aren't satisfied with what we have. and when we do get what we didn't have, we will look for the next thing to want.

ultimately, the enjoyment of the game boils down to whether or not one accepts the game as it is, for what it is. like many things in life, stress/frustration is self-imposed, a choice. players don't need to spend hours and hours resetting to get the perfect village, but inevitably many will.

also it's easy to forget that this game is rated for ages 7 and up. it's going to be (appropriately) whimsical in nature. it's no place for adults to be applying their notions of worldly order and utopia! :rolleyes:

having said that, how dare the developers give us such paltry storage options! we need vast amounts of storage! lots and lots of it! mountains of storage! ;)

Well, imo, there's no need to bring human nature into this, but some people do want to have a sense of order to their town, and want to make their town the best it can possibly be, so it's worth it for them to do those things. (Including me -- the game wouldn't be as fun for me if I couldn't have any control over imposing the vision I want for my town, and had to leave everything to chance.) Others might not care so much, or they might have a more casual rural/forest style town that doesn't require everything to be neatly arranged.
But I agree that the developers will never make these changes since it's not how they want the game to be played, so we'll just have to accept it, and keep doing our little tricks if we want to.

I do think, though, that choosing where villagers' houses will go doesn't seem extremely unreasonable to me. I can imagine Isabelle saying something like, "Mayor, a new villager is moving in tomorrow! Why don't you meet me at the town hall so we can figure out where they can move in?" And then you could pick their house location in a way that's like building a PWP. And in past games, this house location stuff was a complete non-issue. In my Wild World town, there were no "bad" house locations. They were all in places that made sense and meshed well with the town and environment. No houses two spaces in front of the town hall or gate, or anything like that.

Heh, agree about the storage! :)

Back