• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Different looking trees

Peachk33n

Princess Peach <3
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Pear (Fruit)
October Birthstone (Opal)
Cake
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
Silver Mailbox
I just found out about this today on another website. I searched to see if there was a thread about this already but I didnt find anything. Its kind of old news I guess, but it was a shocker to me! Im interested to hear your thoughts on this.

This is the old 2011 trailer for AC:NL

And this is the current trailer for the game

In the very old trailer, obviously when the game was still in production, notice how different the trees look! They show a little branch, and have a very different shape. Normal trees and pines look different.

Also, I noticed when the character was talking to the animals their dialog box had a sleek shiny name box and felt really cool.

What are your thoughts? Do you like the current style that is more traditional and AC feeling, or do you like the risque ideas they started out on?

Personally, I love AC either way. I liked their ideas for a different look and might have preferred them, but it wont affect my enjoyment of the game now as it is.

I liked the more realistic-looking trees, ocean, and the new-looking text boxes in the early trailers. Shame they had to change it.

I miss how the ocean looked in 2010 and how the trees and text boxes look in 2011.
I'm used to the new trees now though, but it took me a while.

I like the stuff from the newer trailer better. I got used to the look of traditional AC trees, and it just looks weird to me otherwise. Plus I don't really like the chat boxes, since I'm used to the what I've seen throughout the games.

I rather the trees that we are getting now instead of the 2011 ones. I also rather the text box that we are getting now.

I hated the old trees! They looked all stretched out and weird xD Also, look at the fruit, they are really really spread out and it looks funny, look at the 2011 trailer at like 1:10-1:25 when he is running along the beach, those are really horrible looking coconut trees, the coconuts are facing the same way (Which looks weird in my opinion, but it was this way in WW-CF, changed from facing different directions in the GC version, now changed to look like the way they do now) and they are also like waaayy over to the sides and look glitched with the palm branches going through them and everything... Also I like all the water now more than before, there is like this 3D waving affect almost when rivers are on the horizon. What is the difference between the ocean before and now? I don't see a difference really...

I hated the old trees! They looked all stretched out and weird xD Also, look at the fruit, they are really really spread out and it looks funny, look at the 2011 trailer at like 1:10-1:25 when he is running along the beach, those are really horrible looking coconut trees, the coconuts are facing the same way (Which looks weird in my opinion, but it was this way in WW-CF, changed from facing different directions in the GC version, now changed to look like the way they do now) and they are also like waaayy over to the sides and look glitched with the palm branches going through them and everything... Also I like all the water now more than before, there is like this 3D waving affect almost when rivers are on the horizon. What is the difference between the ocean before and now? I don't see a difference really...
2010.jpg
2011.jpg
2012.jpg

In 2010, the different shades of blue mixed together were nice.
In 2011, the ocean looks a bit more bland.

If you can't see a difference between 2011 and 2012 in pictures, look at the palm trees. The pattern is slightly different and one is darker than the other.

View attachment 3312
View attachment 3313
View attachment 3314

In 2010, the different shades of blue mixed together were nice.
In 2011, the ocean looks a bit more bland.

If you can't see a difference between 2011 and 2012 in pictures, look at the palm trees. The pattern is slightly different and one is darker than the other.
ohh wow yeah there is quite a difference.. never noticed how nice the 2010 ocean was. I just don't like the sudden slant on the beach into the water, I am sick of that little decline it has been like that in all of the animal crossing games xD (except WW, there was no slant at all, just sudden sand lol)

Sort of happy with how the graphics changed though in almost every way. Besides the better looking ocean, everything looks more real, well at least in terms of animal crossing lol The colors were all just waaayyyyy too bright in the first versions in 2010 and 2011, it just looked sort of bleached and now they toned it down and there are more rich colors. The rivers do look better, and the ocean still looks better, but not as good as they did at first, but thats ok because it still looks better than the previous games so I don't think we have anything to complain about :)

There were indeed slight differences between 2011 and 2012 that i didn't notice either, the ocean in 2011 got way brighter and got more of a texture when it got closer to the horizon, and now that was toned down too and the separate waves are now a bit farther apart. Also, if you look closely, the shadow beneath the coconut tree is also missing, I think those shadows beneath the trees is a really nice realistic touch to the graphics and it is nice they didn't leave those shadows out for the palm trees because it would look funny if some trees left shadows and others didn't. Flowers don't look as good as they used to in 2010 version of NL or even CF, because now that I watched some NL videos more closely, the flowers aren't 3D figures anymore, just sprites like in WW and GC. They still move when you walk through them so I guess that helps the small downgrade in how the flowers look now...

I loved the fact they'd changed the tree's design in the early videos. I thought they looked so amazing and big. It seemed appropriate since the human character was bigger now. I was so upset when they changed the trees back to being dinky. The water also looked really nice back then. I got used to the water, but I still think the new trees look stunted and not fully grown... apparently things can never be too different. Though my OCD is upset that normal trees used to have dark trunks with light rings on them, but now they're light trunks with dark rings on them. @_@ It looks so wrong.

Also the flowers are sprites again? o_O Can't say I noticed that before...

Wow i never noticed that before....
I like the new trees better. The old ones are sort of... flat, if you get what i mean :/

Wow i never noticed that before....
I like the new trees better. The old ones are sort of... flat, if you get what i mean :/

Yeah it almost seemed like the trees were sprites but you could tell they weren't, because if you saw pine trees in the horizon, you could see the back side/under side of them.. But they all did seem really flat looking.

I loved the fact they'd changed the tree's design in the early videos. I thought they looked so amazing and big. It seemed appropriate since the human character was bigger now. I was so upset when they changed the trees back to being dinky. The water also looked really nice back then. I got used to the water, but I still think the new trees look stunted and not fully grown... apparently things can never be too different. Though my OCD is upset that normal trees used to have dark trunks with light rings on them, but now they're light trunks with dark rings on them. @_@ It looks so wrong.

Also the flowers are sprites again? o_O Can't say I noticed that before...

Yeah I am pretty sure they are sprites :( I think that is a big step backwords because people decorate with flowers ALL over their town and they wouldn't look as nice... It isn't like it will destroy the look of your town, but it will look a bit strange compared to CF lol. At least the flowers and weeds and stuff still move when you walk through them.

I really wonder why they had to change the ocean. I'm okay with the trees, but the 2010 ocean looked so pretty and realistic.

Looking back at a lot of the old screens & footage, I'm definitely happy with the look of the final product. :D

Back