• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Does anybody feel like this?

Krissi2197

wolf pack fanatic
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Switch
4328-6962-9201
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Orange (Fruit)
New Horizons Token
Pink Hybrid Lily
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Pink Hybrid Rose
Apple (Fruit)
Yellow Candy
Cake
Small Mailbox
I feel weird because I feel this way, but I can't help it.

I'm diagnosed with depression, and I'm super stressed out due to school... I mean, I'm only in the 11th grade, but I'm taking really hard classes and it's hard to understand lots of things. My grades have been faltering because of how hard these classes are getting. There's too much to juggle and it's completely draining me mentally and physically as well.

I get bullied in school a lot as well so that doesn't really help much with my stress and depression.

Anyway, usually after a long day of school, I come home, sit down, and play animal crossing. It's weird because it distracts me a lot from my depression and stress and anxiety almost instantly. Coming home to my villagers who are happy to see me and tell me that I look good today... Freya once asked me if I wore make-up, and I said no (since I actually have never worn make-up in my life) and she said "Wow, look at that natural beauty!". It made me feel good about myself.

Sometimes I feel stupid for admitting it, but this game helps me cope with everything going on in person. Yes, they're "just pixels", but these pixels have helped me through a lot of tough situations.

Does anybody else feel this way, or am I just a needle in a haystack? I feel really stupid for feeling this way sometimes and I just want to make sure I'm not alone in this.

To be honest, I'm also labeled with depression. I'm only a freshman, but I can't handle everything. I love playing animal crossing! It's a nice escape. When your friendship is high with a villager, they're so sweet, that you wish you could actually be friends with them, as cheesy as that sounds. I have 2 copies, so I love my dreamies while also meeting many new villagers in my cycling town. <3

I felt like that for a while. I felt as if my game whisked me away to another world, another universe in which I can actually enjoy, relax, and have fun.However, this didn't last very long. My friends started to dis the game after they found out I played it, and unfortunately, that influenced my decision to stay in my sanctuary. They don't play much video games, and I don't blame them. I understand them for dissing a game, because they never played it.However, I got really depressed after that, and felt really self conscious playing Animal Crossing. My other friend and my sister play it, but I don't really hang out with them much. Sometimes I just felt like leaving the game all together so my friends wont keep bothering me about it.
But I feel you, this game really does take your stress down a notch.

AC has been used as a coping skill for ages. You're more like hay in a haystack, because at least 80% of us have some form of mental illness, diagnosed or not. I use it to cope, even though cycling drives me absolutely insane. Sometimes I make it more anxiety-inducing than it has to be, but yeah. You're nowhere near alone xD; I go to therapy 3 days a week for depression/anxiety/self-esteem issues, and it's very common to use games to cope, especially games like AC. Just take a look at tumblr when it released -- tons of people were saying how it relieved stress and whatnot.

So what I'm blabbering about is that more than half of us are in the same boat ahaha

I feel the same way! I was diagnosed with depression during high school and I'm currently in my first year of college. It's stressful and my good friends have all moved away to other cities and states for school, and my boyfriend lives in a different state too. It can get kinda lonely since I'm not very good at making friends so AC is a nice escape for me, even if it's only a video game. c:

Plus the majority if the community (especially this forum) is fantastic so that's a plus too.

Last edited:
Don't feel stupid for feeling that way, there's nothing wrong with it.

I personally don't feel that way,
but that's because I mostly only rely on myself for happiness and all that fun jazz.
It does bring me a lil' comfort though

But yeah, don't feel weird about it, you definitely aren't alone and its cool you have something that makes you happy.

I hope you know that high school and bullys are temporary and yeah,

Last edited:
My friends started to dis the game after they found out I played it, and unfortunately, that influenced my decision to stay in my sanctuary. They don't play much video games, and I don't blame them. I understand them for dissing a game, because they never played it.However, I got really depressed after that, and felt really self conscious playing Animal Crossing.

I'm in this same situation right now. I bring my DS to school since I have about 40 minutes to kill before class actually starts... Whenever I pull it out, somebody (some friends, some strangers) comes up to me and calls me a name or says I'm a nerd because I'm playing Animal Crossing. It makes me really self conscious about playing the game in public because it's not a typical game you see people playing in public... At least in my school.

AC has been used as a coping skill for ages. You're more like hay in a haystack, because at least 80% of us have some form of mental illness, diagnosed or not. I use it to cope, even though cycling drives me absolutely insane. Sometimes I make it more anxiety-inducing than it has to be, but yeah. You're nowhere near alone xD; I go to therapy 3 days a week for depression/anxiety/self-esteem issues, and it's very common to use games to cope, especially games like AC. Just take a look at tumblr when it released -- tons of people were saying how it relieved stress and whatnot.

So what I'm blabbering about is that more than half of us are in the same boat ahaha

true.

Plus the majority if the community (especially this forum) is fantastic so that's a plus too.
I agree. This forum has made my love of AC skyrocket to whole new levels. It's nice to have people to talk to about this game since nobody I know in my school really plays as much as I do, if at all.

Don't feel weird by feeling this way, it's why it's such a popular game. A chance to forget about the real world and just be in a town where villagers love you for who you are and really appreciate you.

I honestly can't stand bullies...I swear if I were the president or whatever I would make it mandatory for like 10 bodyguards to be in each school hallway to prevent bullying...I can't stand it grr :3

I agree with you, after a long day animal crossing is definitely an escape for me. It almost always puts me in a good mood. I've also gotten some of my friends into it. Sending hugs your way, I know its hard to say now. But it will eventually get better.

Last edited:
Honestly, nobody really bugged me in highschool because everyone already knew I was some "weirdo lesbian nerd". (which then I shocked everyone by actually being bisexual! go figure!) Sometimes I think people would try to tease me or fake me out, but I usually stuck with my friends. It's hard to remember all that since I'm at college age now, and have almost gotten my associate's degree. But I do know that HS sucks for like everyone on the planet, and it's dumb that even your friends are teasing you about it. e.e But.

Don't be ashamed of using your coping skills. It's not even like you're meditating or using a stress ball during class. You're just playing a game before class. The people who are insecure aren't just you; they're also your peers. That's why they make fun of you -- because they're insecure of themselves.

It hurts, but you gotta just stay strong and use your coping skills best you can. I know how hard it is, trust me.

Last edited:
I'm in this same situation right now. I bring my DS to school since I have about 40 minutes to kill before class actually starts... Whenever I pull it out, somebody (some friends, some strangers) comes up to me and calls me a name or says I'm a nerd because I'm playing Animal Crossing. It makes me really self conscious about playing the game in public because it's not a typical game you see people playing in public... At least in my school.

Ugh this. When I was in HS and pulled out my DS, people would be like "oh wow what a nerd." But luckily for me, I had a few friends who also brought their DS and we would Picto-chat sitting right next to each other. I hope you'll find a group like that, too! It's so nice to surround yourself with positive, supportive people as well.

Words do affect you! I went through all of high school with the 'idgaf' mindset, so idk ;~;. Well.. you have us at TBT! Hehuheuheuheuhue +_+!!

I completely agree. The people think Im like a freak that has the world most strict parents or something. My friends support me, but that doesnt make it much better tbh.

But I dont really give a damn about what those people are saying. I enjoy the game. Haters gonna hate.

My advice is: don't listen to people who put you down in high school. You probably won't see or speak to the majority of them once you graduate, so there's no use feeling bad or doubting yourself because of what people who are only temporarily in your life think or say.

when i first played the first AC i was 11 and i had no stress and it was the best game i ever played, and now im 23 and really stressed and have been depressed since high school but i havent played AC since WW and i recently bought a DS because i found out a new game was out and i loved WW because it was portable. it really helps distract you from everything and its just such a relaxing thing to do.

and ive always had trouble sleeping because i couldnt stop thinking about stressful things, but it really has helped me to think about what i wanna do in my town and think of ideas as i fall asleep and it works well.

I'm very self-conscious, and I worry that people will think I'm an immature nerd if they knew that I play ACNL. My friends all used to play it, but don't care much for it anymore. >.<

I'm very self-conscious, and I worry that people will think I'm an immature nerd if they knew that I play ACNL. My friends all used to play it, but don't care much for it anymore. >.<

There's nothing immature about liking something! It doesn't matter if it's for kids or not. Anyone who thinks that liking something for kids is immature is the immature one themselves.

this 100% i started high school in a new town and didnt care or focus on anyone except a few, and i graduated hugged a couple people and have never talked to them since, and i see them of facebook now 5 years later and they are all losers. you never wanna peak and be one of the top people in high school because those people you will see later in life and laugh, its cool to be different, almost everyone cool or interesting is an outcast.

just honestly ignore it all and be who you want to be, those kids are just trying to fit in, they dont know who they are as a person, they probably play call of duty or some generic crap, AC is the most original, cool game series in the last decade.

And it looks like my point is now being reiterated in multitudes. :p There ya go, Kriss. Told ya. Hay in a haystack. <3

Back