• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Does the “wetsuit trick” even work anymore?

Beanz

Sophisticated Hi-C drinker
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1874-6412-6607
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Friday the 13th Candy
Yellow Candy
I?m trying to get more public works projects, specifically the police station, and I recently saw that there was something called the ?wetsuit trick? where you swim as far away as possible and idle there for at least 5 minutes. Then, you?d get out of the water and the closest villager will ping you. I?ve been doing this for about 2 days and all the pings I got were a villager pinging me because they wanted to give me a new nickname, were tired of their catchphrase, or telling a me story. I did the trick several times and I know that I?ll have to be patient if I want them to ping me for a new PWP but I wanna make sure if the wetsuit trick still works or was it completely removed after Welcome Amiibo update and there?s another way to get PWPs that I don?t know about? :confused:

When you do it do you put your game on sleep mode or do you just leave it completely open? I’m just thinking that whether it’s open or on sleep mode has something to do with it. :p

Last edited:
First of all, I never heard of the wetsuit trick before reading this thread, so thanks for that!

I've been trying to get a specific PWP to unlock in my game for ages, since before my 5 year hiatus even. I recently downloaded a checklist to use for my catalog, and this particular one not only listed PWPs, but also what type of villager you get it from. This checklist is also from before the Welcome Amiibo update, so does anyone know if something like that is still relevant? The one I want allegedly only comes from peppy villagers, so I had to scramble to stop my one peppy neighbor from leaving so she could possibly ask for the project. If none of this is a thing anymore, though, then I'll just let her leave because I'm not terribly fond of her.

In the meantime, I'm going to try out the wetsuit trick next time I play, and hopefully I'll run into her first to see if that'll boost my chances of getting that dang PWP.

I use the wetsuit trick all the time, and my current town was created before Welcome Amiibo. It's pretty much the only way to get PWPs in a reasonable time (I played my old town for years and I still didn't have all of them) so it would have been kind of ridiculous if they removed it.

@ Leedzie

Yes, you still have to have certain villager types to suggest certain PWPs. That hasn't changed with the update. So if you want a PWP that can only be suggested by a peppy villager, you'll have to keep a peppy in town to get it.

@LadyDestani Thank you for the confirmation!

One other question: Does anyone know if you have to have a good relationship with your neighbors for them to suggest PWPs? If that's a factor, then I'm going to hover over my peppy neighbor all the time! I generally tell myself that I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have a strong relationship with the one character that can unlock the PWP I'm seeking, but if it's not important then I won't stress about it.

I've been trying the wetsuit trick over the last few days, and so far it's only worked on the first try. Unfortunately the PWP I got wasn't the one I was gunning for, so I have to keep trying, but so far I haven't gotten any others. I don't know why it hasn't worked any time after that first one, and it's hard not to get discouraged. Is there some sort of grace period in between attempts that has to pass? Can you not get it from the same neighbor more than once, or at least not twice in a row?

It barely works for me, don't know why.

Yeah it doesn’t happen all the time for me but I’ve heard that if your pockets are empty and you have no money they can’t ping you to make a deal off you. I’ve also heard that you can get ONLY one PWP a day and multiple PWP pings are rare. I still haven’t gotten the police station D:

A few days ago I saw a list about what the specific villager personalities give you PWPS aka what LadyDestani was talking about. I found it on tumblr and here’s the visual list. If anyone wants it.

LAZY:
Balloon Arch
Camping Cot
Hammock
Jungle Gym
Pile of Pipes
Sandbox
Tire Toy
Water Pump

NORMAL:
Drinking Fountain
Fairy-Tale Bench
Fairy-Tale Clock
Fairy-Tale Streetlight
Flower Bed
Garbage Can
Outdoor Chair
Slower Arch

PEPPY:
Archway Sculpture
Bell
Fairy-Tale Bridge
Illuminated Clock
Illuminated Heart
Illuminated Tree
Metal Bench
Round Streetlight

CRANKY:
Drilling Rig
Rack of Rice
Wooden Bridge
Zen Bell
Zen Bench
Zen Clock
Zen Garden
Zen Streetlight

JOCK:
Blue Bench
Fire Pit
Instrument Shelter
Solar Panel
Stadium Light
Torch
Traffic Signal
Video Screen

UCHI:
Bus Stop
Geyser
Log Bench
Picnic Blanket
Scarecrow
Windmill
Wisteria Trellis
Wood Bench

SNOOTY:
Hot Springs
Illuminated Arch
Modern Bench
Modern Clock
Modern Streetlight
Statue Fountain
Streetlight
Tower

SMUG:
Chair Sculpture
Cube Sculpture
Moai Statue
Parabolic Antenna
Pyrimid
Sphinx
Stonehenge
Totem Pole

Last edited:
Yeah it doesn’t happen all the time for me but I’ve heard that if your pockets are empty and you have no money they can’t ping you to make a deal off you. I’ve also heard that you can get ONLY one PWP a day and multiple PWP pings are rare. I still haven’t gotten the police station D:

A few days ago I saw a list about what the specific villager personalities give you PWPS aka what LadyDestani was talking about. I found it on tumblr and here’s the visual list. If anyone wants it.

LAZY:
Balloon Arch
Camping Cot
Hammock
Jungle Gym
Pile of Pipes
Sandbox
Tire Toy
Water Pump

NORMAL:
Drinking Fountain
Fairy-Tale Bench
Fairy-Tale Clock
Fairy-Tale Streetlight
Flower Bed
Garbage Can
Outdoor Chair
Slower Arch

PEPPY:
Archway Sculpture
Bell
Fairy-Tale Bridge
Illuminated Clock
Illuminated Heart
Illuminated Tree
Metal Bench
Round Streetlight

CRANKY:
Drilling Rig
Rack of Rice
Wooden Bridge
Zen Bell
Zen Bench
Zen Clock
Zen Garden
Zen Streetlight

JOCK:
Blue Bench
Fire Pit
Instrument Shelter
Solar Panel
Stadium Light
Torch
Traffic Signal
Video Screen

UCHI:
Bus Stop
Geyser
Log Bench
Picnic Blanket
Scarecrow
Windmill
Wisteria Trellis
Wood Bench

SNOOTY:
Hot Springs
Illuminated Arch
Modern Bench
Modern Clock
Modern Streetlight
Statue Fountain
Streetlight
Tower

SMUG:
Chair Sculpture
Cube Sculpture
Moai Statue
Parabolic Antenna
Pyrimid
Sphinx
Stonehenge
Totem Pole

Thanks for the list!

I've been trying the wetsuit trick over the last few days, and so far it's only worked on the first try. Unfortunately the PWP I got wasn't the one I was gunning for, so I have to keep trying, but so far I haven't gotten any others. I don't know why it hasn't worked any time after that first one, and it's hard not to get discouraged. Is there some sort of grace period in between attempts that has to pass? Can you not get it from the same neighbor more than once, or at least not twice in a row?

trust me it works! you just have to keep @ it, just make sure youre talking to the right kind of villager.. ii got all the pwps ii wanted, so pretty much all the pwps listed ii got my villagers to ask for them, bc of course when youre trying for something it isnt gonna happen right away, so no matter how much time ii put in, and how frustrating it was @ times, ii kept @ it..

idk if you want to do this, you dont have dont have to, totally up to you, bht ii did it this way...

just to make sure ii was def. gonna get everything ii wanted ii wrote down my list of which pwps ii needed/wanted and what kind of villagers got them.. ii got all 'peppy' villagers in my town.. did the swimsuit thing checked off what pwps ii had wanted if they asked.. when ii had all ii wanted checked off then ii got all 'jock' villagers, and repeated the same thing til ii had everything..

its alot ii know, bht ii was certainly dedicated to getting them so ii could make my town look nice.. plus also ii learned about the 16cycle villager thing, and ii was able to get all my wanted villagers back.. bc let me twll you, when ii found this forum ii was like awesome!! ii got all my dreamie villagers!! thennn ii learned about the pwp thing and was like '@*$[)" (lots of potty words came out) bc of course my dreamie villagers were NOT jocks, or lazy.. etc. so ii made the decision to do it the way ii did bc not only would ii get my pwps bht also my dreamies back..

put flowers/money/seashells anything to fill your pockets, and stay in the water for about 5min. then if you dont do what ii do with the villagers lol stalk the one youre trying to get the pwps from, dont let any of the others see ya!

bht its totally your choice! good luck

Last edited:
I’m trying to get more public works projects, specifically the police station, and I recently saw that there was something called the “wetsuit trick” where you swim as far away as possible and idle there for at least 5 minutes. Then, you’d get out of the water and the closest villager will ping you. I’ve been doing this for about 2 days and all the pings I got were a villager pinging me because they wanted to give me a new nickname, were tired of their catchphrase, or telling a me story. I did the trick several times and I know that I’ll have to be patient if I want them to ping me for a new PWP but I wanna make sure if the wetsuit trick still works or was it completely removed after Welcome Amiibo update and there’s another way to get PWPs that I don’t know about? :confused:

I generate Public Works Projects along the following guidelines:

1) With exceptions of those which are permanent (like the Campsite), get one each of the initial PWPs built. (Personally, I don’t keep a Fence in any of my towns. But, I do get it built so I get it out of the way.) Build more than one for benches and lights. (Doing all this helps to get you to the Perfect Town rating sooner than later.)

2) Load your mayor’s pockets with items like bells and flowers—items no villager would ask for.

3) Wait for villager to ping.

4) If villager pings, but does not request a PWP, turn off console. (Sufficiently do saves before turning it off and before the villager disappoints you with a ping not requesting a PWP.)

5) If villager pings, and requests a PWP, do an immediate Save; then go to Isablle so you can build it.

6) After you get the PWP built, and the following day shows that PWP was built, hold the ceremony before you repeat the previous guidelines beginning with Step 2.

7) Just keep doing this—but try to not feel too rushed (that you would not be enjoying your town)—and you should be able to make some real progress.

I have my way of playing “Animal Crossing: New Leaf.” But, I have found that I have to get going with what I pointed out. Otherwise, the town takes seemingly forever. That is one flaw to the game.

Last edited:
I never could get the wet suit thing to work but here?s what happened to me right or wrong, you know how they?ll tell you to take a break if you play straight for a long time? When I eventually figured that out and got tired of it, I?d just gently close my lid then reopen it and whoever was hovering close by getting ready to remind me to take a break would usually ping... but it could have been for anything but it certainly raises the chance for a PWP request. I haven?t played in a long time but when I did I played A LOT and as far as I know friendship level doesn?t have anything thing to do with pings, they will all do it.

I've never actually used the wetsuit for PWP pings. It was a lot quicker and easier for me to just save and quit before running up to the animal I wanted the suggestion from. I think I ended up getting the wisteria trellis, wooden bridge, and hot spring three days in a row. They'll still ping you for new catchphrases or nicknames but you should get your suggestion ping within a half an hour at most.

Within a few weeks I had every suggestion I wanted. It beats swimming out in the ocean and getting stung by jellyfish for five minutes at a time, and you can also avoid the "You've been playing too long" pings as well.

i wonder, if i use this trick, will i get stung by many jellyfish?
also staying idle, will the sting form the jellyfish go away?

Back