• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Early AC:NL misconceptions

Charcolor

icon: mayor maker by kyoosh
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Switch
4805-1672-6310
Yellow Lily
Yellow Violet
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
Orange (Fruit)
Animal Crossing New Leaf was my first Animal Crossing game (even though I've been alive long enough to have played City Folk and maybe Wild World) so I definitely had some misconceptions about the game when I first played it (which was on December 27, 2014. Aoki's birthday is coming up!)

• It was winter when I first played, but I didn't realize the season was based on the season in real life. I thought the snow was a sign of how deteriorated the town was and when the town gets better, grass grows.
  • I didn't know about snowmen. I thought snowballs were trash and I had to destroy them to raise my approval rating
  • I thought I was supposed to prevent villagers from moving out. My original villagers all stayed in my town for a very long time as a result until I realized moving was allowed. Then I let Gruff go.
  • I had absolutely no idea that Nookling Junction could be upgraded. I had it up until February or March, and worked on upgraded it only after my girlfriend told me I needed to in order to get Club LOL.
  • I also had no idea about emotes and was amazed when I saw my girlfriend using them (she was the first person I played online with ^^')

What about you? Share your early misconceptions about the game (or even just Animal Crossing in general)!

When I began playing Wild World, it was the flower fest. I stole every single one of my poor villager's flowers and placed them around my house. Zero regrets. It was actually super fun tbh. xD

Wild World was my first Animal Crossing game and I had almost zero prior knowledge about the series. I just remember that my cousins had the game and showed me and I really wanted it because the villagers were so cute. xD So I jumped into it head first.

I remember that when I first worked for Tom Nook, I had accidentally changed shirts from the work shirt to another one that one of my villagers gave me and I actually got scared when I yelled at me. xD So after that, I was scared of Tom Nook and when he asked me to write an ad on the messaging board, I made sure it was a good one. xD

When I was young playing the AC for the gamecube I filled my house with fun things and had areas to house visitors. I'd mail letters to a couple of my friends in town inviting them over and giving them a time. I'd go in my house at that time and wait thinking they would come.

:(

Last edited:
When I first got Wild World, I didn't donate ANYTHING to the museum. That carried over a tiny bit into New Leaf, leading to Salmongate, a year-plus-long affair.

I started on Wild World way back in the day.

I remember I didn't know that the time would be the same as the in game time. I didn't play once until super late in the evening and all my townies were asking where I had been all day.

Kind of the opposite to you, I didn't realise I could prevent people from moving out. I lost Alice in a few days cause I didn't know I had to talk to all my townies to get them to stay.

I also didn't know about hybrids and I remember randomly having some red and white roses next to each other and then one day a pink rose had grown! That sparked a huge flower breeding obsession which still continues to this day.

I thought that putting paths down could prevent grass deterioration so I was running like a mad woman on them until I wanted to change the directions of my path and saw that everything underneath was barren.

I thought that putting paths down could prevent grass deterioration so I was running like a mad woman on them until I wanted to change the directions of my path and saw that everything underneath was barren.

oh, i forgot about my first experience with patterns! i thought putting one on the ground would make a sign, but it didn't. i freaked out and changed it to all white to match the snow, but it didn't look natural so i looked up how to remove patterns from the ground. i felt pretty dumb when I found out.

When I began playing Wild World, it was the flower fest. I stole every single one of my poor villager's flowers and placed them around my house. Zero regrets. It was actually super fun tbh. xD

I did that too! Except I usually didn't participate in that event. I was greedy, so... to save bells, I'd wait until after the flower fests to steal every villager's flowers and put them around my house. It was free, I couldn't say no.

I literally did that this summer/fall in my New Leaf town and now I don't even use patterns for paths anymore. I don't want visitors to run on them.

I thought buried items would help with plot resetting... it did not.

I had no idea about the re-tail method when doing for big bell trades. I thought the only way to do it was to go to the post office (and I was even more shocked when someone lead me to an atm machine in their house lol)

Actually, my first conception was BEFORE i even played a animal crossing game.

I had never heard of it, and (Okay, I admit it.) I used action replay because I was a little crybaby when I lose Mario Kart DS (I sucked.) And then one day, I say the title "Animal Crossing: Wild World" on the Action Replay menu.

I thought It was some kind of hunting game.
Wow, was I wrong.

I thought the same thing about preventing villagers from moving out haha. In Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town (the only other life simulation game I've played nearly as much as New Leaf), there's a character who will leave the game forever in the fall of the first year if you don't help him get a job so he can stay in town. So the first few villagers to ask me to move made me think of that, and I stopped them because I thought not doing so would completely alter the course of the game/my town

Also for at least the first few weeks of playing I thought everyone had the same villagers lmao.... I followed some people on Tumblr who played and posted pictures and I happened to have a villager or two in common with one of them, so I just assumed the villagers I didn't recognize would move in later on. The first in-game experience I had with other villagers was in the first dream town I visited, the official Nintendo town, and I was confused at first, but somehow came to the conclusion that when visiting a dream town the "regular" villagers were just replaced by wacky different animals... to make it more weird and dream-like?? I don't know what my line of thinking was.

Oh I had an early Club Tortimer experience where a guy told me he had Katie in his town, presumably asking if he could bring her to mine, but I had no idea who Katie was and thought he was talking about a villager (possibly misremembering Kitty, who I had at the time, and I might've still at this point thought everyone had the same villagers). But I wasn't totally sure and didn't want to show my ignorance so I was just like "ok"

I'll come back if I remember more because I'm sure there are many lmao

When I first started playing Animal crossing GC I didn't donate any bugs, fish, fossils or anything to the museum. And I didn't really know about villagers moving away (I thought the ones you started with stayed lol) and weed growth. So when I stopped playing for four months and came back, I was shocked to see all the weeds, roaches in my home, and at least three people had moved away lol. I ended up losing Ribbot because of that. I also use to steal flowers from people to decorate my own house, but it seems a lot of people did that. I did the same thing when Nook gave me flower seeds/saplings to plant in front of Nookling Junction xD

Oh, and when I found out there was a 90,000 bell cheat you could use three times a day with Nook, I stopped earning the money the honest way and TT a lot to use the code.

When I first came across Wild World I had no idea how to save. One of my sisters had just found the game (it's a long story haha). I didn't know how to make Bells or fish either, but I guess after a while I just managed to figure it out on my own. :p

When I started playing City Folk (my first game) I thought that when a villager moved they would just move to a different spot in town. I didn't know they completely disappeared from your town. I also thought that all town maps were the exact same, and everyone started out with the same starter villagers. I was shocked and very upset when I reset, only to find out it was a new town and new villagers... :(

I also didn't know that you could have Blathers check a fossil, so everytime my villagers asked for a fossil I would try to give them one straight out of the ground. I never understood why they refused to take them.

And with New Leaf, I heard that whenever you put on a wetsuit your socks will disappear. I thought that meant they would literally disappear forever, and you would lose them. So for a while I always took my socks off before I put my wetsuit on.

I didn't know your town name and mayor name were permanent so I named mine something off the top of my head and regretted it so much I reset everything :p Best animal crossing decision I ever made though because now I have a town I love.

When I started out with animal crossing wild world I had no idea about hybrids and breeding flowers until I started playing the new leaf version since I haven't done that in the previous game, I thought I should try at least and then I got super adddicted. Also wasn't very familiar with the public work projects and the dream town and what the whole concept was about until, I saw youtube videos of many others dream towns and got inspired to decorate and develop my own town.

The biggest misconception was that I thought it was a kids game and that it looked stupid! :eek: I would have never gotten it on my own until I had friends who got it and showed me and then I became really obsessed! I didn't know it was so important to do your little daily chores and stuff so my first go it took a long time to get that good town rating, especially because I left a lot of stuff around that I didn't know was trash. I also thought that you were stuck with your villagers once you got them, which I hated cause I had this creepy mouse with a deep voice that would hit on me and be a creep and I hated him! I also thought that I had to pick up the seashells and stuff every day or my beach would become over crowded with them, like the weeds in town...

When peppy villagers say something like "Number..exceeding..brain..capacity!" when you talk to them alot, I thought they were the super smart ones ._.

Back