• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Early AC:NL misconceptions

Years ago, I took my son to the dentist, and they had the gamecube version in the waiting room. I decided to play it. I didn't understand, and thought it was the stupidest game ever created. About a year later, my son made me play it. (His friend gave him the game). I had no idea I would love it so much.

New Leaf was my first game, and like mayor-of-ivyvale said, I didn't know the town's name and mayor's name were permanent.

I also didn't realise you could let villagers leave your town. They'd ping to move, but I always declined their requests and was then salty about it for the next few weeks. I had to deal with Anicotti and Rory for so long without realising I was allowed to make them leave.

I've played Wild World, City Folk, and New Leaf.

- Back in the day when we could receive messages in bottles, I was convinced that I could reply to the people who were sending me weird ones (which turned out to be the game generating them for me).
- I didn't realize that Beau's name was pronounced like "Bo" until about a month ago. Up until then I'd been pronouncing it like the beginning of the word "beautiful".
- For some reason, I thought my villagers were lying to me about hybrids when I was really little so I never tried to get any. How foolish I was ;-;
- I thought that I could get fired from working for Tom Nook if I took off the work shirt that he gave me so I refused to take it off for a long while even after I was done working for him, just because I was hoping that he'd hire me full time and give me more work to do.

When I first played WW and Kapp'n asked me in the taxi where I was heading, I didn't realise that I needed to put my town name, so I thought I would trick the game and I put "Nowhere"

Imagine my disappointment when he didn't question it and I soon arrived in the town of Nowhere...

"I thought snowballs were trash and I had to destroy them to raise my approval rating"

That's adorable!! :D

I also thought the right thing to do was to not let villagers move out because it showed that you were an involved mayor that cared about the citizens. I thought it helped with friendship levels as well.

Years ago, I took my son to the dentist, and they had the gamecube version in the waiting room. I decided to play it. I didn't understand, and thought it was the stupidest game ever created. About a year later, my son made me play it. (His friend gave him the game). I had no idea I would love it so much.

This is so adorable! I've been trying to make my mom play this game, especially since she goes through a lot of stress so I thought it might be nice for her to just relax for a bit.

This is so adorable! I've been trying to make my mom play this game, especially since she goes through a lot of stress so I thought it might be nice for her to just relax for a bit.

my villagers help me relax, but tonight whenever there is alot of pressure to please them my heart starts racing and i try my best, luckily i got every present right thanks to my list here on good ol' TBT

When I first picked up ACNL (my first AC game), I got it second hand, so there was already a save file (Mayor Adama of Sylvari) on the game. And when I started, I selected 'new villager' rather than deleting the town that was already there, and played for an entire afternoon as a secondary character in Sylvari feeling that something wasn't quite right, but not knowing what, until I confirmed that you can actually name your town and you're the actual mayor, and I was able to reset everything.

I didn't know about what a 'good' town was, but I massively lucked out and my town is really, really great, and I've managed to keep Lolly (a starter villager) and Tammy (the first move-in) for over two years, despite going through periods of not playing it for ages.

When I first picked up ACNL (my first AC game), I got it second hand, so there was already a save file (Mayor Adama of Sylvari) on the game. And when I started, I selected 'new villager' rather than deleting the town that was already there, and played for an entire afternoon as a secondary character in Sylvari feeling that something wasn't quite right, but not knowing what, until I confirmed that you can actually name your town and you're the actual mayor, and I was able to reset everything.

I didn't know about what a 'good' town was, but I massively lucked out and my town is really, really great, and I've managed to keep Lolly (a starter villager) and Tammy (the first move-in) for over two years, despite going through periods of not playing it for ages.

i got mine 2nd hand too but decided to keep it :p

Well, until an hour ago, I thought you had to buy all of the toy day gifts. haha. I'm glad you didn't I guess because I never found the yellow you (bingo wheel) In the shops so I was going to be short

Oh, I hope you can get her to play. My son had me sit down, put the controller in my hand, then helped me get started. He even walked me through the chores I had to do for Nook. Lol. Next thing I knew, I was hooked.

- - - Post Merge - - -

When I first played WW and Kapp'n asked me in the taxi where I was heading, I didn't realise that I needed to put my town name, so I thought I would trick the game and I put "Nowhere"

Imagine my disappointment when he didn't question it and I soon arrived in the town of Nowhere...

That's so funny. I often see towns called "My house" or "My town". It seems that you're not the only one that has done that. How are we to know he wants us to name our towns? :)

That's so sweet! I would get my mom to play but she's never touched a video game in her life. I don't think she's very interested in them ^^; and my dad doesn't like life simulations (thinks they're boring).

I got my brother to play the game cube one with me and when we were young and he liked it for a while. But he eventually stopped playing (he had a habit of doing that with my games, did the same thing with Harvest moon).

Back in wild world I didn't know the flea market was every first Saturday of the month I just knew it was always held on my birthday every time I time traveled back.

I also didn't know that when he was asking me where I'd like to go was where you choose a name for your town. I ended up calling my very first town 'home'.

I can appreciate all that, I had the benefit of being an adult when the series began, so kind of knew off the bat what it was about, and bought it mainly for the NES games, but that's another story. That real-time clock, and the snow crunching, as well as other true Animal Crossing feats kind of sold me on the series. I can understand though if you're new to the series, you're not sure about stuff. I knew when I saw a perfect pear for the first time in New Leaf that something was different about it, so I held onto it until I knew what it was. I didn't want any spoilers about NL, so I refused to find anything out before the Prima guide arrived (yes, tons of mistakes, but that's not the point). When I saw you could bury them, I purposely chopped down a former tree to bury it. It grew, and the rest is history. Why go into all this? Because I was new to New Leaf, but not new to Animal Crossing, so I can totally appreciate all the mistakes you made early on, but you know what, when the next one comes out, you're going to feel like old hat, and it'll be that much more fun to see how they do the snowman this time, is there more to the family, can you build it using the new playstyle whatever it is? Those kinds of things is what keeps me coming back to this series- like I ever really left since 2002! :p

When I first started playing I was surprised by how boring and limited it seemed. I remember seeing all the reviews about it and it seemed so exciting so I thought I must have done something wrong. But...I persevered and the game has totally sucked me in. Now I rarely run out of things to do, especially running several towns at once.

I didn't have much of an idea what Animal Crossing was when I bought my first game. Someone had mentioned it to me and I watched a few videos online, but I really was fairly clueless.

I'm glad I took a chance! New Leaf is my favorite game now and one of very few games that I've ever stuck to playing for a long time.

When I started playing Wild World, I had no idea that the way you answered Kapp'n's questions determined how your face would look. I assumed everyone got a random face.

I also didn't know the trick about sending letters with one line to get fruit. I'm not sure my first town ever had anything but orange trees. LOL

Back