• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Free item from looking in villager's fridge?

mellamollama

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
I went in one of my villager's houses and opened his fridge, and it gave the normal oddball message ("Huh? Why would that be in here?" or something like it) before saying "There's a lovely loveseat in here!" And then my villager told me I won his treasure hunt. So he gave me the item for free, and it played the victory music when I accepted.

I thought I was keeping really informed on all the features of new leaf, but I don't remember this being mentioned. (Also, really sorry if this is common knowledge or already posted on the forums, I tried searching but "treasure hunt" didn't turn up anything relevant, and neither did "villager cabinet.") Has this happened to anyone else? I also had Katrina today and I think I'm wearing my lucky item (I had a bit of confusion about item themes), so that might be part of it? I'm curious how common this is. I tried checking my other villagers' houses, but the only one who was indoors didn't own a cabinet type of furniture.

That's pretty neat. I haven't received any item and I've been looking through my neighbors' stuff a lot lol.
Most of my neighbors let me buy some of their furniture though straight from their house. :p

Oh, I am loving the fact that villagers let you buy their furniture from their house. I've looked up the default house of the villager that moved in today, and I've already got my eye on a few things.

Oh, I am loving the fact that villagers let you buy their furniture from their house. I've looked up the default house of the villager that moved in today, and I've already got my eye on a few things.

I so far have been unable to buy an item that is set on top of a table(of course those are the items I really want).

I so far have been unable to buy an item that is set on top of a table(of course those are the items I really want).

I've wondered about that. The villager says something about that item being essential when I've tried. Maybe it's registering clicking on the table, not the item on top, and you can't choose those because they have something on them?

Yeah, that happened to me. A villager (Marcel) invited me over and as I was rooting through his drawer, my character said something like "this must be where he keeps his treasure" and it was a regal chair. He then gave me the chair for free, and allowed me to buy furniture that was around his home. It's a pretty nice feature! :)

Haven't found anything in the fridges yet, but Anabelle had a BED in her tiny little file cabinet that she gave me. It was "hidden deep in the back" o.o I burst out laughing.

Yeah, I saw that on a video I was watching of one of the Mayor's Program people. It seems like it's worth poking around your neighbors' stuff when you go in their house. Might get free stuff. Even if you don't like it, you can always sell it for bells.

HNI_0092.JPG
HNI_0093.JPG

..a little spooked now.

Lol, thats great!

How often can you do this to the same villager? Anyone know? Or is it just a purely random occurrence?

Back