• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Games of 2010

Caius

De Profundis
Retired Staff
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Yellow Tulip
White Tulip
Red Tulip
Winter Mittens
Orange Mote of Flame
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Waluigi Easter Egg
Green Fair Pinwheel
Rainbow Feather
Green Feather
2010Chaos.png

So it's the beginning of 2011. What I like to do at the beginning of every new year is to go back and look at every new game that I've played, or even considered buying, and judge it to see where we've gotten to in gaming. Anyone reading this may have seen my blog post considering the WORST and hardest boss fights, and most difficult gaming challenges in recent games. If you're interested in taking a look at that, read here: http://papelstaques.net/blog/?p=33

Now, let's get onto the games.

Project Diva 2nd: 8/10
a016b951.jpg

This game was released in 2010, a Japanese rhythm game that exists purely to make you want to strangle yourself if you play on anything past hard on a certain few songs. I still have yet to this day managed to get past the last song, 初音ミクの激唱 on extreme mode, and I have a feeling that I never will. Now, if you're looking for a psp game that's fun as hell, has great music, and to top it all off can keep your attention throughout, I'd definitely look into it. You don't have to be able to understand Japanese to be able to get that EASY MODE MEANS EASY SONG, while EXTREME MODE MEANS YOU WILL WEAR A WRIST BRACE FOR A WEEK. It's a rhythm game, go nuts. This is considered an improvement to your normal rhythm game experience and an addition to 2010.

Wrist20Thumb20brace.jpg

Also when I said you may need wrist braces after playing this game, I wasn't kidding. I was pretty much confined to using my left hand for everything after playing this game. Luckily modern wrist braces have thumb support! Another great 2010 addition!

The Sims 3: 9/10
sims3pcscrngymint_610x342.jpg

Another 2010 release, that could actually qualify as an 09 considering it came out last year for PC, but it's still going on my list because of the console version that has been released in November.. or December, I can't be arsed to remember. Now, if you've played the Sims 2, or anything in the line of games, you'll note it's pretty much the same thing, with the addition of being able to travel all around and enjoy the hell out of a town you've never been able to see before. The console version features Karma points, where you can act like a god as well, and doom or bless sims as you see fit. It's fun. This is a definite title that adds to the 2010 experience.

626936_0.jpg

The big addition to a lot of the Sims 3 stuff is the fact that on the computer edition, yet again you have no limit to the stuff you can add to your place but almost infinite customization abilities. So I expect to see many more kick ass pools like this one. Got it?

Final Fantasy XIII: 9/10
final-fantasy-xiii-360-002-1.jpg

Jrpg-ers, it's your time. Whether you liked or hated it, FFXIII added a loop on the normal JRPG experience, and changed so many things about RPG's it became confusing if this is your first FF title. The graphics were beautiful, you can't argue that, and character development had a certain flair to it that just made the dramatic come crashing into you. No longer do your characters level up, instead you upgrade their abilities and give them an extra bit of pizzazz through the Sphere gri- my bad, chrystarium. While gameplay can get repetitive, and backtracking becomes a feature to bang your head into a table for, the story is made to impress, and it does if you can get past the 11 hour tutorial. Also, for any that did like the game, keep your eyes peeled for winter 2012, where FFXIII-2 has been announced!

ffxiii_270709_7.jpg

Also don't let anyone even breathe on Hope. He'll die. I hate him.

Assassins Creed 2: 9/10
assassins_creed.jpg

I just picked up this game, and haven't even finished it, but I know for a fact that it's impressive, gorgeous, and the soundtrack is beautiful. It fixes a lot of problems from the first game, but still can be repetitive in places. You have so much more that you can do, that the game will suck you in, so make sure you have some time put aside to really get into it before starting. You follow Ezio instead of Altair this time, but that doesn't mean Altair is being hipchecked out of the picture at all. This is a great addition to any 2010 game collectors.

assassins_creed_2_dive-copy.jpg

Also did I mention Ezio is the italian Mr. Feelgood? He's climbin in your windows.. snatchin yo' people up...

Fable 3: 10/10
549f3_fable-3-preview-090310-1.jpg

How could I not have Fable on this list? You -are- in control of your own story, choosing to be a kind person, or the ultimate *****asaurus rex. Add in online or local co-op and you have the recipe for hours of fun. While the story is short (You can beat the game in less than 6 hours) It's still beautifully interactive, and even after you beat the game there will be loads of things to do. I promise you that. The DLC features minigames that you can play through the story, and go back just to have a good time, most noticeably Reavers wheel, and the cannon mini-game. Any fable 2 fans will notice similarities in the titles story, but since I didn't pick up Fable 2, I wasn't able to experience it. Even if it's your first Fable title, you won't be disappointed. Another good game for 2010.

Batman: Arkham Asylum 8/10
batman_arkham_asylum_screen-1.jpg

You know I don't even remember if this was 09 or 2010, but either way, this title is a great one. I haven't gotten the chance myself to play it, but I've been watching my room-mate go through the game and picking up on little quirks about it. If you've even seen Batman Begins, you'll notice a number of villains from it, as well as the comics. It's a beautiful game, and there's no doubt it will leave you breathless. A definite pick-up for the 2010 games.

4515-celebrity-pictures-mark-hamill-talent-actor.jpg

It's Batman, and the only reason I got into it at all is because Mark Hamill is a voice acting god.

Prototype: 8/10
prototypedvdscreen4-1.jpg

Punching some dude in the gonads is pretty cool.

Zombies. That's pretty much all I have to say about it. Anyone who knows me knows that I despise zombies with all my heart and soul, and that's why I haven't played this, but I have watched my room-mate play it. The story is very.. confusing to say at the very least, but it seems like one of those games that sucks you right into it while you try and understand the game.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: 9/10
news_e3_castlevania_lords_of_shadow_trailer-9563.jpg

Okay I'll start with this, my rating might not be fair, because I know for a fact that anything with Kojima's name on it is as good as mine. I am a huge fan of anything this man makes, because the story is usually one of the best. I haven't completed this game yet but I have seen the ending. This game features some of the absolute best voice acting I have ever seen in a video game, and some of the most interactive and expansive fighting. You will feel like a god even at the lower levels, just because of the range and damage you can achieve with a single weapon. Don't let other reviews fool you, yes it is a reboot of the Castlevania series, but it includes so many shout-outs to the other games, that you'll wonder if it's just a prequel. I hope you like Picard, because his actor is in this game, and that voice is one of the finer points, not to mention Jason Issacs (Lucius Malfoy for those who don't know). The story is phenomenal, and graphics are wonderful. You will want to play this game at least once.

Lords_of_Shadow_Spoiler1.jpg

Did I mention Jason Issacs? Because I'll do it again and again.

Nier: 10/10
nier-20100112012908116-1.jpg

Ah yes, anyone that has played Drakengard will tell you that it was one of the worst games in the repetitive section, but what it did wrong in gameplay it did right in story. Before Cavia's liquidation, it released one more title in the Drakengard series, NIER. Nier is everything that they could possibly do right on a single game. While the graphics may not be very pleasing at all, the game itself has one of those stories that will leave you depressed, I guarantee it. I love this game, and haven't been able to put it down since purchasing it. You play with a kingdom-hearts-like battle system, in an actiony.. bullet hell kind of environment. The bosses are usually huge, and have the capacity to take up half if not all of the screen. If you decide to pick up this title, you won't be disappointed, but a fair warning, it is rated M for a reason. One of the best things about this game is the soundtrack, which features not only instrumental pieces, but many boss battles have vocal adaptions. If you don't want to pick up the title, you can always view the Let's Play by The Dark ID on the something awful forums, which was just started yesterday.

summer13.jpg

How's this for a "punch" line. HAWHAWHAW *punched*

For the record: KH: Birth By Sleep and Dj Hero 2 didn't make the cut. It's not because I didn't like the games, it's just because there's a character limit.

Nice selection of games (yay for sims 8D). I've never heard of Nier but it sounds like a game I'd really enjoy. Shame I don't have a PS3 or Xbox to play it :l

Jas0n;bt389 said:
Nice selection of games (yay for sims 8D). I've never heard of Nier but it sounds like a game I'd really enjoy. Shame I don't have a PS3 or Xbox to play it :l

:( I'm sad to hear that. It's one of my favorites and my Game of the Year for 2010

Back