[Guide] Cycling & Cycling Towns ➝ (UPDATED 12/6/16)

love the new section regarding cycle threads. great advice as always~

(also i'm glad I wasn't the only one noticing the huge increase in those. xD)

love the new section regarding cycle threads. great advice as always~

(also i'm glad I wasn't the only one noticing the huge increase in those. xD)
thank you <3 and yes, I've been noticing a ton of them popping up lately, and I just wanted to make sure newer members didn't feel like it was required or anything!​

A ton of new cycling towns popped up after the holidays last year too. I'm guessing people got 2nd copies of the game as gifts. I stopped cycling for a while because of it. It gets boring when you can't even get rid of top tier villagers for free. ;)

Edit to add: I actually went back to read the first post instead of skimming the comments. This is a fabulous guide! Only comments: I don't have a "boxes day" since I cycle continuously forward one month, one month, 5 days. I have had villagers get stuck too. I think it's the playing day to day after cycling that finally uncements them. I had Mira stuck for almost a whole year but had to play day-to-day for a bit to cycle villagers out to a friend in the right order. She pinged me. I was so shocked. =)
Also, maybe it should be noted...if you are ever bumped up to 9/10 villagers. Don't TT a year ahead. (Possibly from transferring villagers or getting a void at the wrong time.) I skip 5 days at a time til cycling gets back on track.

Andplusalso, I apologize if any of that doesn't make sense. ^

Last edited:
A ton of new cycling towns popped up after the holidays last year too. I'm guessing people got 2nd copies of the game as gifts. I stopped cycling for a while because of it. It gets boring when you can't even get rid of top tier villagers for free. ;)

Edit to add: I actually went back to read the first post instead of skimming the comments. This is a fabulous guide! Only comments: I don't have a "boxes day" since I cycle continuously forward one month, one month, 5 days. I have had villagers get stuck too. I think it's the playing day to day after cycling that finally uncements them. I had Mira stuck for almost a whole year but had to play day-to-day for a bit to cycle villagers out to a friend in the right order. She pinged me. I was so shocked. =)
Also, maybe it should be noted...if you are ever bumped up to 9/10 villagers. Don't TT a year ahead. (Possibly from transferring villagers or getting a void at the wrong time.) I skip 5 days at a time til cycling gets back on track.

Andplusalso, I apologize if any of that doesn't make sense. ^
thank you very much! :)
yes, I definitely agree with you that it's the TT'ing day by day that uncements the villagers eventually. but since changing your "boxes day" means you have to begin TT'ing day by day, it's essentially the same thing; I just thought it might be simpler explained that way.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean on the second part, though. my cycling towns are always at 9 villagers except, obviously, after one has been adopted -- then it drops back to eight when you TT back a year and five days, a ninth plots when you TT ahead a year, and then on your third load of the game when you're back to your "boxes day", you're back at 9 villagers with one moving out. so I'm thinking you meant don't let your town get to 10 villagers...? but I'm still not 100% sure what you mean by this being a bad thing. I don't keep track of my villager count when I'm cycling, (in fact I usually don't do anything but save & quit immediately) but i never encounter any problems even when I pick up a void. it simply overwrites the random move-in that plots on your second load of the game during cycling. in fact, for that reason I'm pretty sure you won't get to ten villagers at all using the cycling method I use unless you were to go to someone's town and invite a tenth over. but even then, I'm still pretty sure it evens itself out, as it does when you invite a camper.

I'm thinking that since you use a different cycling method, maybe you encounter issues when I don't? i really can't say for sure, but I just know I've never had any problems with my villager count using this method, even if I pick up voids or invite campers.​

thank you very much! :)
yes, I definitely agree with you that it's the TT'ing day by day that uncements the villagers eventually. but since changing your "boxes day" means you have to begin TT'ing day by day, it's essentially the same thing; I just thought it might be simpler explained that way.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean on the second part, though. my cycling towns are always at 9 villagers except, obviously, after one has been adopted -- then it drops back to eight when you TT back a year and five days, a ninth plots when you TT ahead a year, and then on your third load of the game when you're back to your "boxes day", you're back at 9 villagers with one moving out. so I'm thinking you meant don't let your town get to 10 villagers...? but I'm still not 100% sure what you mean by this being a bad thing. I don't keep track of my villager count when I'm cycling, (in fact I usually don't do anything but save & quit immediately) but i never encounter any problems even when I pick up a void. it simply overwrites the random move-in that plots on your second load of the game during cycling. in fact, for that reason I'm pretty sure you won't get to ten villagers at all using the cycling method I use unless you were to go to someone's town and invite a tenth over. but even then, I'm still pretty sure it evens itself out, as it does when you invite a camper.

I'm thinking that since you use a different cycling method, maybe you encounter issues when I don't? i really can't say for sure, but I just know I've never had any problems with my villager count using this method, even if I pick up voids or invite campers.​

Yeah, it's probably only happened because I've picked up villagers to transfer and had people over on days that aren't boxing days. I'm even tempted to switch to your cycling method because it seems like a safer idea. ;) I'd probably get confused and mess myself up though.

Yeah, it's probably only happened because I've picked up villagers to transfer and had people over on days that aren't boxing days. I'm even tempted to switch to your cycling method because it seems like a safer idea. ;) I'd probably get confused and mess myself up though.
i just find this method to be super simple & easy, even for people who have never cycled before. the only risk i've ever encountered is accidental voiding, but that only happens if you're careless. but it's all about what you're comfortable with, and you've been cycling for awhile, so i'm sure you'll be fine if you choose to switch at some point! c:​

Thanks for the guide, it's been real helpful!

I'm slightly confused out how I keep a villager in boxes indefinitely, though ;-;

Exactly how you do it aha

Because if you TT, they'll be automatically voided...so how are you supposed to re-wind time, and keep them in boxes...?
I just keep setting the time back.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I just keep setting the time back.

Before I go to sleep for the night I set the time at 6am that way when I wake up they'll still be in boxes.

Last edited:
Exactly how you do it aha

Because if you TT, they'll be automatically voided...so how are you supposed to re-wind time, and keep them in boxes...?
they won't be automatically voided if you TT, only if you TT past 6am the following day or before 6am that day. so if your boxes day is January 1st, you have from 6am January 1st until 5:59am January 2nd before they're voided. all you need to do is change the time so it doesn't go past 5:59am the following day. as long as you do this BEFORE the villager is voided, they'll stay in boxes.
before you go to sleep, go into your game and wind the clocks back to anytime after 6am whichever day the villager is in boxes. they won't be voided unless you go a full twenty four hours without doing it again.​

they won't be automatically voided if you TT, only if you TT past 6am the following day or before 6am that day. so if your boxes day is January 1st, you have from 6am January 1st until 5:59am January 2nd before they're voided. all you need to do is change the time so it doesn't go past 5:59am the following day. as long as you do this BEFORE the villager is voided, they'll stay in boxes.
before you go to sleep, go into your game and wind the clocks back to anytime after 6am whichever day the villager is in boxes. they won't be voided unless you go a full twenty four hours without doing it again.​

Thanks for explaining it :D

But I'm almost certain that I TTed backwards to 6:01am, and my villager was still voided...

Back