• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

How do you know a game isn't for you?

ShadowLelouch97

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
So... basically title. /hs

For a medium like video gaming, there are hundreds and hundreds of games to play. And probably just as much in our backlogs as we continue to add to them. That leads me to my question. How do you know when a game isn't for you, and you drop it?

As for myself, it could be a few things.

• The gameplay isn't fun
  • The story isn't interesting
  • Difficulty (too hard/easy)
  • Feels like a chore to play
  • Feeling like you have an obligation to try and power through it.
That's not my be all end all list, but that's certainly part of it.

And as a bonus, feel free to share what games you dropped and why!

I struggle to enjoy lengthy games that aren't pushing a constant narrative.

Examples: Hollow Knight and Elden Ring. (Breath of the Wild to a lesser extent).

I can only explore and wander for so long before it starts to gel together. I need a purpose to keep playing and I personally can't find that from just gameplay for 60+ hours. More power to those who can. I'd love to enjoy these kinds of games. Exploration focus is not for me.

Hmm, probably this.

-The gameplay is far too difficult for me
-The story and/or setting doesn't interest me at all
-The gameplay doesn't interest me at all
-It has too much content that makes me uncomfortable (M rated games, usually)

The first one is a huge issue for me. I wanted to play games like Mario & Luigi and Rhythm Heaven but I found out I have poor reaction time and I can't get very far.

One thing for me is having to study it, like those super in-depth simulation games. If I don't learn by doing I don't want it.

I've got ADHD, so if a game can't hold my focus whatsoever, then it's definitely not for me LOL
Being boring is the main turn-off in games for me, there are certain genres I just don't click with, but for the most part if it's fun and has me invested, I'll stick with it

I've dropped a lot of games that make you wait for things to get done, back when I was playing dragon age: inquisition a lot, I had to install a mod that greatly decreased the wait time for the war room quests, because I would stop playing when I had to wait 24+ real life hours for something to get done LOL

If the game's really difficult and doesn't have difficulty settings to make it easier then it probably isn't for me. I also don't like horror games. A game with a creepy story or vibe is fine, but I don't enjoy jump scares or a lot of realistic gore. A boring story combined with unfun gameplay is also a no. If the story isn't the best but the gameplay is really fun, then that would probably be okay. I don't like shooters usually, although Splatoon is an exception. Really complex skill trees and/or combat is also a bit frustrating to deal with. Turn-based combat isn't my favorite, but it's okay if the rest of the game is fun

Ooo... vibes and art style? I'm not really a fan of the dark and hyper-realistic games.... I tried so hard to like Skyrim but it truly was not for me 😭 Those realistic 3D horror games are also not me for at all... watching is okay, but I personally would not enjoy playing them. Then again I generally don't like playing horror games, but I just much prefer 2D horror over 3D horror games as I grew up with pixel horror games.

OH also micromanagement (and similar) games, big no-no for me. I can never enjoy Stardew Valley to the fullest because I keep thinking I have to manage every day to the fullest and do everything I can, and it just tires me out so much lol. I keep thinking I can't waste all the time and all the seasons, I need to get rich asap, etc etc. 😭 I saw my bf playing Cities: Skylines and Civ 6 and I'm happy for him but I just don't get it 😭😭😭 Stresses me out so bad lol.

Honestly, difficult games are okay for me because I like challenges. I have yet to finish Cuphead and Celeste but I'm more than willing to learn and keep trying! I aint gonna let skill issue let me down (I'm not that good at all tho) 😔✊ Tho I do have to take long breaks at a time because I end up fixating so much that I get sooo tired. I will be getting back to those games one day. In the future. When I have time.

It’s mostly genre and nature/thematic elements of the game for me. For instance, I’m not a huge fan of RPG games. They usually require a lot of in-depth knowledge to begin with, and most of them are of the medieval fantasy type which is also a theme I’m not that into. Games that are also difficult to master online, such as World of Warcraft, don’t really attract me either.

My favorite genres are racing and sandbox, though I’ll also play 3D platformers depending on what they are. My main questions with those games are the following:
  • Are they somewhat realistic (racing games)?
  • Do the aesthetics please me? Are the characters likable (3D platformers)?
  • Am I given lots of creative freedom (sandbox)?
If any of those answers are “no”, then I usually move on.

Last edited:
this is a good question; i’ve never really thought that hard before dropping a game. i would say:

-the game starts to feel repetitive
-it’s missing a compelling story and/or fulfilling gameplay
-the characters are not interesting
-it feels like i have too much to do and will not finish it
-there’s no end goal in mind

even if a game fails in one thing if it has the others it’s usually fine for me. but i haven’t touched miitopia for the first despite liking it a lot in the beginning of gameplay. i got sick of having to create individual characters every time i progressed and the gameplay and story weren’t doing it for me. this is also why i just don’t jive with sandbox games for the most part. i need some story and goal to be interested in the first place.

This is a good question! I don’t like things that have too many mechanics to keep track of or that just leave you without any idea of what does what and why or how.

A games simply not for me if I’m not having fun with it. I don’t have loads of time to spend gaming, so if I’m not enjoying a game within the first 10-15mins, I move onto something else. I’m not great at gaming either, (I’m not very coordinated or good at multitasking) so I tend to not play skill based games or games that require a lot of tricky combat etc. I’m trying to get into Metroid Samus Returns currently, but I’m struggling with the controls for that reason.

if the story doesn't catch my attention, no matter how hard i try to get into it.

annoying when the game looks really good tho. >:

Back