• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Huge Fish Shadow In The River

Hyrule_Crossing

Profile Picture By Me
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Switch
3060-3780-7537
Festive Bell
New Horizons Token
Lobo
Isabelle
Blue Hybrid Rose
Red Candy
Yellow Candy
So it’s almost 5PM. About 15 minutes ago I saw this huge fish shadow in the river, and dident know what it was. I thought “oh, it’s probably an arowana” so I tried to catch it. And failed. I looked it up, just to see what since the arowana was. And it said large, not huge. Large.. I know it’s not a string fish cause it’s june. So if you know what it is, it would help. Thanks!

Edit: it might of been a Saddled Bichir but I’m not 100% sure

Last edited:
Gar or Dorado are the larger fish that show up during that time. The Gar is in the large Lake but can be found a little outside of the Lake. It took me 2 long nights to get one Gar.

The saddled bichir and arowana are the same size as the Black Bass.

Could have been an Arapaima. I'm not the fishing expert lol

Ok, so it was probably a gar. BUT.. the wiki I looked at it on said “River Pool” and I found it a ways up from the river pool

Here’s a photo showing the map and where I found it, showing how far from the pool the shadow was.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Saddled Bichir shows up at night. 9 PM to 4 AM.

What in the world is a Saddled Bichir!
I haven't been fishing in New Leaf because I don't play anymore. There are large fish and HUGE fish. wow! i feel like playing again just for the fishing.

Ok, so it was probably a gar. BUT.. the wiki I looked at it on said “River Pool” and I found it a ways up from the river pool

Here’s a photo showing the map and where I found it, showing how far from the pool the shadow was.

It was probably a dorado.

What in the world is a Saddled Bichir!
I haven't been fishing in New Leaf because I don't play anymore. There are large fish and HUGE fish. wow! i feel like playing again just for the fishing.

The saddled bichir is the size of a black bass, the arowana as well is that size.

the Shadow looked to big to be dorado. It almost looked like a coelacanth shadow, but in the river. so I feel like it was a gar just in an odd spot. Mainly cause it’s the only huge shadow fish I could in June and at that time of day.

Last edited:
I just looked up more info on the gar in the ACNL Guide app I use and it has gar in pond or river, so it definitely could have been a gar. I caught a dorado myself just now and, yeah, it is more the size of a sea bass than a coelacanth.

Edit: by "pond" I mean the "river pool", I've just always referred to it as a pond for some reason.

Last edited:
I get what you mean. But yeah probably a gar then, and they pretty rare so I’m sad I dident catch it. Still looking though. And hey, I did the exact same thing with a few coelacanths and an oarfish, so it’s not the end of the world for me

- - - Post Merge - - -

I just looked up more info on the gar in the ACNL Guide app I use and it has gar in pond or river, so it definitely could have been a gar. I caught a dorado myself just now and, yeah, it is more the size of a sea bass than a coelacanth.

Edit: by "pond" I mean the "river pool", I've just always referred to it as a pond for some reason.

YES! I got another one rafter 24 hours! And yes, it was a GAR! Also what’s funny about this, I caught it INSTANTLY after catching a dorado!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
So it?s almost 5PM. About 15 minutes ago I saw this huge fish shadow in the river, and dident know what it was. I thought ?oh, it?s probably an arowana? so I tried to catch it. And failed. I looked it up, just to see what since the arowana was. And it said large, not huge. Large.. I know it?s not a string fish cause it?s june. So if you know what it is, it would help. Thanks!

Edit: it might of been a Saddled Bichir but I?m not 100% sure

Saddled Bichir are black bass size, which is medium.

Arowana aren't huge, they are Koi size, same as black bass.

If you saw the huge shadow in the pond part of the river, it was most likely a Gar, as that's the only place they spawn.

Dorado can spawn anywhere in the river.

I get what you mean. But yeah probably a gar then, and they pretty rare so I’m sad I dident catch it. Still looking though. And hey, I did the exact same thing with a few coelacanths and an oarfish, so it’s not the end of the world for me

- - - Post Merge - - -

YES! I got another one rafter 24 hours! And yes, it was a GAR! Also what’s funny about this, I caught it INSTANTLY after catching a dorado!

Excellent! Congratulations! :)

I'd say it's probably the Dorado or Arapaima. :eek:

Ok so I was was doing some late night fishing. And saw a normal looking shadow. I was thinking “hmm, probably a black bass/carp. But maybe an arowana?” I caught it just to realize I accidentally caught a Saddled Bichir

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Back