• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Importing Animal Crossing: Jump Out/New Leaf

Cerulean

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Hey guys,

I can't help but notice oh so many of you english speaking players already playing New Leaf. I was just curious if you had imported it to the USA (or other country outside Japan); along with a Japanese 3DS. I was curious about looking into this while waiting for the ambiguous American release date.

Right now it seems PlayAsia is the only reliable source, yet it's incredibly expensive. I was just wondering how any american players imported the japanese version along with a japanese 3ds, and if you still think it's worth it.

Thanks a ton,

Cerulean

I think most of them just imported a Japanese 3DS and then downloaded the game digitally.

Why would you do it if you're just going to get the English-speaking version eventually? This game is so text heavy that it's not really worth playing unless you understand the language it's spoken in.

Why would you do it if you're just going to get the English-speaking version eventually? This game is so text heavy that it's not really worth playing unless you understand the language it's spoken in.
Exactly. AC:NL is the only thing I've genuinely been excited for in a long time, but I can wait for the english version. I can't read a single word of Japanese so that means every conversation in AC will be useless and boring. Those of you who have the import and can't read/speak Japanese are shooting yourself in the foot and diluting your experience.

That's exactly how I feel too! I mean it's their choice if they want to do that though.. and I'm jealous that they get to experience it already haha :)
But I wonder, when the English one comes out, will they get the it too? And then have to start all over... seems kind of tiring :O

That's exactly how I feel too! I mean it's their choice if they want to do that though.. and I'm jealous that they get to experience it already haha :)
But I wonder, when the English one comes out, will they get the it too? And then have to start all over... seems kind of tiring :O

Many of us who are importing will be getting the English version. Some are going to sell their Japanese 3ds's. :/

I didn't get my Japanese 3ds only for Animal Crossing and I will be keeping my Japanese town as well as starting up an English town.
I recently saved over my current town by accident and had to start over. It's been a lot easier this time around because I know more about the game.

I don't mind having to start over yet again. At least next time I will, hopefully, be able to transfer items from my Japanese game to my English game and that will help.

I'm a gamer that's been importing for years. Generally there's 2 kinds of importers.

1) People who are really excited about a game and want to play it sooner, even though there's a version coming out in their language/country. Most of the people playing AC already fall in this category.

2) People who want to play certain games that will never or probably will never be released outside of a country that is not their own.

I fall under #2 almost exclusively. Most of the games I've imported, I did so because I thought it would never be released outside of Japan (or Europe, in the case of Last Window for DS - the only way to get that game in English). Occasionally I buy Japanese games for other reasons (I found the Japanese version for cheaper than I can get the US version, the US version has stuff cut out, etc) but mostly it's #2. Why? Because English is my first language. I'm learning Japanese, but I'm not super great at it. I have to use guides and/or ask for translation help from people I know who are good with Japanese. I can't get quite as immersed into games that aren't in my native language.

Thus, I'll be buying the US version of Animal Crossing New Leaf when it comes out, even though I live in Japan now and could easily walk down the street (literally) and buy a Japanese 3DS and the Japanese game.

However, I can definitely understand the appeal of buying a game you're excited about right away. Knowing that I could go buy the game right now is actually kind of hard. I really want to play it. But Japanese games are more expensive than US games (I get paid in US dollars still, so gotta deal with exchange rate) and there's that immersion issue for me. But some people don't mind as much for those things. Their excitement trumps all. If they are willing to spend the money and get through the Japanese (which, by the way, is not bad for AC since you don't need to learn/know any kanji), then it's totally worth it.

And, for what it's worth, I also can't say there's anything bad about buying both the Japanese and English versions if people are really into the game. The English version will have slightly different events and DLC and such from the Japanese version most likely. If you love the game a lot, you'll sometimes want multiple copies of it. So says the person who owns multiple versions of some games myself. :)

Back