• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Is it only me getting "Unexpected Errors"?

stormybabe

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
I'm an Australian player, who downloaded New Leaf from the Nintendo Store to play.

I am constantly getting Unexpected Errors that shut the game down (without saving) and restarts my system. If this were a one-off, I could accept that. But sometimes, this is happening three times in a half-hour period.

I'm getting frustrated with this, as I will lose items that I had collected since I last saved. And none of my local friends are having this issue with their games.

If anyone can give me a suggestion, that would be swell.

Is this happening when playing on your own offline?

Yeah, it is. It happened again just now. As in, full DS freeze. I have to do a forced shutdown on it and even with PCs, that makes me feel a bit off about it.

I've had to take caution and save every time I catch something, so I don't lose anything.

UPDATE:

I thought I'd try turning off my wireless, to see if that solves the issue, but it hasn't worked. It's still freezing and crashing on me.

I also tried to see if the DS needed the firmware updated (already up to date) and if the game itself required an update (again, already up to date).
So, now I'm running out of ideas.

I'm not sure what to suggest apart from maybe redownloading the game. You could ask nintendo first to see what they can do.

I think you should perhaps make a backup of your SD card, then reformat the card and copy everything back on. If that doesn't work, then you'll probably have to reodwnload the game.

UPDATE:

Okay, so I caved and bought a card copy of New Leaf, thinking this would solve the problem.

Apparently not. I was in the process of creating a new character and everything, and it just crashed again. This cements the idea that the DS itself is more than likely causing the problem.

I got a system restart today also. Had nothing to do with wifi, it was terrible. D: Might have to return my brand new 3DS >___<

UPDATE:

Okay, so I caved and bought a card copy of New Leaf, thinking this would solve the problem.

Apparently not. I was in the process of creating a new character and everything, and it just crashed again. This cements the idea that the DS itself is more than likely causing the problem.

Correct. It's either your 3DS or the SD card. My suggestion would be to return the New Leaf cartridge to the store (because you already own the digital version) showing them that it's the cartridge that's disfunctional.

Afterwards, upgrade to a bigger sized SD card & if the issue remains, return the SD card & profess that there's an issue w/ the SD card (which is very common).

I would save purchasing a new 3DS as it's the most costly investment. If your UNDER warranty even better- but I would still return the physical copy of New Leaf... why own 2x copies? :)

Best of luck, Stormy!

Correct. It's either your 3DS or the SD card. My suggestion would be to return the New Leaf cartridge to the store (because you already own the digital version) showing them that it's the cartridge that's disfunctional.

Afterwards, upgrade to a bigger sized SD card & if the issue remains, return the SD card & profess that there's an issue w/ the SD card (which is very common).

I would save purchasing a new 3DS as it's the most costly investment. If your UNDER warranty even better- but I would still return the physical copy of New Leaf... why own 2x copies? :)

Best of luck, Stormy!

Thank you for the best wishes. I'm going to the Nintendo Australia office tomorrow to ask them about the issue, since my 3DS XL is under a year old.

I have a larger SD card that I bought for a unrelated thing, so I'll try using that to see if it works. I never thought of that to be honest ^^;

And the lady at the store I bought my physical copy stated that I have seven days to use it then return it - as part of their policy, you can return it if you change your mind in seven days and get your money back. So I do plan to do that as well :)

FINAL UPDATE:

My long exhausting issue has now come to a happy conclusion. Thank you to everyone who offered me suggestions :)

I returned my card copy of the game, with no problems.

I went to Nintendo Australia's Parts and Service department and, with my DS playing funny games, came to the agreed conclusion with the service techs that there is a firmware issue - an issue with the 3DS itself.

As it was still under warranty, they did a system transfer of all my data to a brand new unit, and I have had no problems since :)

Again, thank you for your assistance :D

Back