• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Is it possible to play AC:NL on a regular 3DS?

AVGanondorf

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
I heard someone said that you can only play Animal Crossing New Leaf on the 3DS XL. (Or LL, as it is known in Japan)

Is this true? If I were to get it, do I have to buy the bundle? Can't I just buy a regular Japanese 3DS and then buy Animal Crossing New Leaf?

Lolwut? What are the differences between XL and regular? Oh yeah, more space and bigger screen

I would NEVER see why it could only be played on an XL

That person is completely stupid then. Why make a 3DS game work in only the larger 3DS system? Ridiculous. People shouldn't spread rumors like that around. All 3DS games work in either system and it shall stay that was unless specifically said by Nintendo. They'd make it official and very noticeable.

They might have been confused since in Japan they released the special 3DS XL with New Leaf already downloaded on it.... or something.
But yeah, as everyone else said, that's untrue. The only difference between the two systems is the size, not what can be played on them.

Maybe the person who told you this meant that he preferred to play Animal Crossing on the XL, given its larger screen. I know now that I have an XL, I could never go back to a normal 3DS. It almost seems comically small these days. :)

Animal crossing new leaf has been in production long before the XL even existed. I think it was revealed before even the 3DS was launched. But yah it can be played on either handheld.

Must've meant Animal Crossing Special Edition 3DS is only available in XL.
There is no AC Special Edition original 3DS.

But the standalone game on its own works on both (download or physical)

The actual hardware relevant to driving the OS and games is the same in both models, stuff like firmware updates will release at the same time for both because they are the same etc. Thus, there will never be a title that won't work on the original. The only things that the original will never have over the XL is the physical design (bigger better anti-glare screen, dual position locking hinge, 3D Slider off lock, stylus stored in the right hand side etc)

is not

Whilst (sort of) on the topic, do you with the games prefer it on the XL rather than the regular 3DS? or if you don't have both do you think the game benefits from the larger screen (and the opposite if on a regular 3DS)?

Well the biggest thing to me about playing on the XL is that the screen is much less reflective, so not only do you spend less time looking at yourself during loading screens, the colour is also that much deeper because of it.

Also, my eyes are not perfect, but I can still see details better on the XL, (which includes the jaggies, however jaggies has never annoyed me)

I prefer the matte feel of the XL in my hands. Its like a 1.4x bigger 3D effect due to the screen size difference as well.

It does to me feel a step closer to being in the actual game.

Last edited:
I own a regular japanese 3DS and it works fine. Look at my sig. It shows a picture of both my 3DSs

Back