Just started playing NL, anything I should know as a NH player?

amanitahare

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
5931-0709-7689
I wish I knew about the questionnaire in the beginning that decides your face beforehand... I'm too far into the game to let myself restart, though. :') So essentially, is there anything you wish you knew when you first started playing NL, and how does it compare to NH? I'm aware that you can't put most items down outside, or replant flowers, things like that. But what are some things that they took out or forgot in NH instead? And what is done differently? What does NL do better? Is there anything else irreversible like my face that I should take note of?

Despite what's "missing" I honestly have enjoyed playing NL these past couple weeks, way more than NH as of late. Maybe it's the burden of my unfinished island driving me away, mixed with the anemoia NL reeks of to me..

Regarding your face, it’s possible to change your eye colour if you haven’t unlocked that yet.

Some important things I think:
If you dig up a shrub with a shovel, it just disappears, you can’t replant it.
Same with flowers as you said, if you want to relocate them just pick them up as you would pick them in NH.

Something I wish I knew:
There are certain public works projects you shouldn’t use if you want a perfect town, e.g. the garbage can / bin, and I think the tire toy as well.

Things that are in New Leaf but not New Horizons:
- Tortimer island, unfortunately the online servers are shut down now but you can still play minigames by yourself.
- A lot of NPCs, or they have bigger/ better roles in NL.
- There’s an April Fools day event in NL, and some other little events where Isabelle stands in the plaza, I don’t even know them all. It feels a lot nicer than just ordering seasonal items from Nook Shopping.
- You can sell things in Re-Tail for a better sell-price than Timmy and Tommy give.
- More fruits! Tropical fruits come from Tortimer Island.
& probably loads more I can’t think of off the top of my head.

It feels like a lot more of a life simulation game, and decorating is not quite such a heavy part of NL. I prefer the feeling of it. The progression is slower but there’s more to unlock and it feels more fulfilling I suppose.

I think the irreversible stuff only comes at the very beginning of the game: eye shape, locations of buildings, and the shape of the town.

I wish I would have know the requirements to get Shampoodles because I only bought the rare clothing I wanted so it took me like 3 months in my first town to get Shampoodle lol

Villagers can move out without your permission. You'll have to pay close attention to be able to stop them. They can also move in on top of plants or items you have dropped.

Villagers can move out without your permission. You'll have to pay close attention to be able to stop them. They can also move in on top of plants or items you have dropped.
adding to this, villagers won't move on top of patterns / designs that you have laid on the ground, so if there's anywhere you want to keep villagers away from, you can place some patterns on the ground to keep them away.

In terms of irreversible stuff, there are some public works projects (usually buildings, the café and police station come to mind, I forget if there are others) that cannot be deleted or moved, so be careful considering where to put them!

In terms of irreversible stuff, there are some public works projects (usually buildings, the café and police station come to mind, I forget if there are others) that cannot be deleted or moved, so be careful considering where to put them!
Adding to this,
Isabelle will usually let you know that a public works project cannot be destroyed after being placed.

Back