Looking for a game to play this summer!

sashoo

h e l l o đź’«
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Hello everyone đź‘‹

I'm looking for a cozy game to play this summer. I've made a list of possible games but can't decide on one. Some criteria:
• I love Animal Crossing and Ooblets
• I'd preferably like a game with slightly longer gameplay, so that I can properly invest myself in it
• I'd like something that's relaxing and not too challenging

Some games I'm considering are:
• Stardew Valley
• Spiritfarer
• Mineko's Night Market
• Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley
• Cozy Grove
I'm very interested in Spiritfarer, but I've heard how sad it is and I'm not sure I could take that...
I've also sort of considered Alba: A Wildlife Adventure which looks perfect, it's just so short and I'm not sure I could properly get invested in it.
Any recommendations would be appreciated! đź’–

If you have Switch Online, you might like Harvest Moon 64 in the Nintendo 64 catalog. It's a classic, really fun but relaxing farming sim. You run your own farm, can form relationships with the villagers, do tasks around the town and surrounding wilderness, manage your farm, grow crops and raise animals, and more. Really fun game :)

This is a bit of an adjacent suggestion, but I'm about 70% of the way through an unusual indie game called Chants of Sennaar that I would highly recommend to the right type of person. It's a game where you explore layers of a tall tower, each layer containing a different culture that speaks a different symbol-based language. On each level you must decode the entire simple language (about 30-40 symbols) using interactions, artifacts, murals, etc. to decide what each symbol means. As you figure out one language at a time, you slowly become a translator for the different groups in conflict within the tower, which then shapes interactions between the cultures. There is also puzzle solving, a sneaking/disguise mechanic, and a few chasing/hiding scenes, but the emphasis is definitely on exploring large and varied landscapes to discover new glyphs to aid in decoding. I'm a little obsessed with it--it's like nothing else I've ever played.

I realize this isn't strictly a cozy game like the ones you mentioned, so feel free to ignore me. I've found it just the right amount of relaxing and engaging, since it's not an "action" game. The art is really cool and it feels very atmospheric. So I thought it might be worth a mention just in case!

world's dawn is kind of like stardew valley, just slightly different in some ways. according to someone, it's like harvest moon 64. it's pretty cozy and has cute graphics.

i personally couldn't get into it, but it's charming in its own way! would recommend trying it out.

Definitely play Stardew Valley, and don't feel pressured by time moving too fast because everything repeats itself you can't miss anything.

Another game I'd recommend is Wylde Flowers. It's basically a 3D Stardew Valley focused on one storyline that has very good voice acting.

I recommend Cozy Grove! I’ve been playing semi-regularly since earlier this year, and it's such a relaxing and heartwarming game. I struggle with fatigue and brain fog a lot of the time, and CG is the perfect game for me to play even when I’m especially foggy-brained and/or fatigued because it doesn't require strategy or much thought at all. It's fairly straightforward, easy and comforting.

CG runs in real time and is intended to be played day-by-day (you can time travel, but it’s not recommended you do so as it can irreparably damage your save file). I’ve been playing since February and still haven't seen/completed everything or reached 5 hearts with all of the bears yet. Gameplay and progress is slow-paced, especially at the start, so I wouldn't expect to play longer than <1-2 hours a day for the first few weeks or so. Your daily play time will increase as you meet more bears and unlock more things, but even once you have everything unlocked, I wouldn't anticipate playing longer than 2-4 hours daily. It’s not the kind of game you can grind through; there's only so much you can do each day.

I won't talk about the gameplay much to avoid spoiling anything for you, but the characters are lovely and are definitely the highlight of the game (at least for me). Some of them will tug on your heartstrings and frustrate you more than others, but they're all unique and loveable, and slowly learning about their lives and helping them find peace and “cross over” is so fulfilling and equal parts beautiful and heartbreaking. Some of the bears’ backstories are sad, but nothing insanely graphic, distressing or triggering. Bringing light and colour back to the island over time is also very fulfilling and satisfying!

You can fish, catch critters (the fish and critter names are very funny btw), take care of cats, birds, deers and more, collect fruits, nuts, seashells and other materials, participate in seasonal festivals, decorate your campsite and the island, earn badges, customize your character, and more! CG is fairly inexpensive regardless of whether you buy the base game and DLC together or separately, and it's definitely worth the price imo. The pros outweigh the cons by a landslide, but there are a couple of cons. Nothing insane or game-breaking!, just a little annoying:
  • A lot of the bears' quests will involve you looking for items for them that are scattered around the island. At the start of the game, when the island is still mostly uncoloured, these tasks can be tricky since the items will also be uncoloured and will blend in with the rest of the island, making them hard to see. You get a clue for where each item is (and as you continue to play and familiarize yourself with the island and each bear's area, these clues will eventually tell you exactly where an item is), and you can ask one of the bears for help locating an item if needed, but this was definitely still a little frustrating at times. Maybe my eyesight just sucks LOL, but the amount of times I've asked for help locating an item, only to find out I walked past it...
    IMG_4792.gif
  • As you meet more bears and the island expands, the game will take longer to load and will become more laggy. It's nothing insane or that personally prevents/discourages me from playing, and my game has never crashed, but it's a little frustrating at times. I play on the switch, so I'm not sure if it's better/worse on other platforms.

If you have any questions about Cozy Grove, don't hesitate to ask! It's a great game, I really can't recommend it enough. :>

Last edited:
Back