• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

My 20th Blog Entry

Alolan_Apples

Old > New
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Alright! This is my 20th entry to the StarFall Press. After going over ideas on board games and video games, history of the villagers and projects, ideas on designing towns in the next Animal Crossing game, and my opinions on the games, I made it up to the 20 entry mark. I'm closing another chapter to my blog as I open the next chapter.

What I'm targeting for is 100 entries. I may not be the first one to get 100 entries, but I can get there. As long as I keep writing about ideas for both entertainment and the future Animal Crossing, stories of my town, and other interesting things, I will meet my goal while I'm not spamming. And here are the good news: I joined TBT early enough where I can achieve my quota before Christmas if I write one entry a day, everyday, while I started late enough where I can get there in December. Nonetheless, I will go over the interesting subject of the day.

Frozen vs The Lion King:

As I promised last time, I will talk about the two Disney mega hits Frozen and Lion King. Tomorrow is the day Once Upon a Time launches their fourth season, and Frozen is part of the show. It's a good thing I hit the jackpot then.

Back when Frozen was still in theaters, there were many news reports and stuff talking about how Frozen is dominating our culture and over-analyzation of the film. And about four to five months ago, someone pointed out that Frozen and The Lion King are very similar in plot details. It's pretty interesting that both films had similarities when they were the ones that broke Disney's records. One of the films was not just the highest grossing animated feature of Disney's, but was also the highest grossing animated film of all time. It racked up a lot of successes. The other, was king of Disney's animated features for 19 years in both box office and Billboard 200. There were two eras of WDAS that Disney stood out very well. One was the Disney Renaissance, where Disney was at its best. Films like Beauty and the Beast and Hunchback of Notre Dame were produced during the Disney Renaissance while The Lion King was the high point of the era. The other era that had a similar story eas the Revival Era, which was started by The Princess and the Frog. Frozen was to the Revival Era as The Lion King was to the Disney Renaissance.

In my honest opinion, the Disney Renaissance is a lot better than the Revival Era was. As a millennial, I would rather watch what Disney made back in the late 80's to the 90's than watch what Disney had today. The Revival Era didn't "revive" Disney very well. With the CGI 3D animation dominating the screenplay, traditional values of Disney being thrown away in the trash, and the fact that Disney was already in a bad shape after a decade where they were at their worst (excluding three animated features that weren't as bad), the Revival Era is like processed frozen foods compared to the Disney Renaissance (which is to to real food cooked with fresh ingredients). However, Frozen was one of the few films that stood out very well in my opinion.

Now I will point out the similarities to both films. Here are the counterparts of the Disney Renaissance and Revival Era:

• The Princess and the Frog - The Little Mermaid
  • Winnie the Pooh - Rescuers Down Under
  • Tangled - Beauty and the Beast
  • Wreck it Ralph - Aladdin
  • Frozen - Lion King

And voila! Frozen is identical to The Lion King. What do they have in common? I don't remember the scene where Timon and Pumbaa meet Olaf or the scene when the hyenas invade Arendelle. So there has to be something else.

Off-Camera Similarities:

• Both films were the high points of the eras they came from.
  • Both films has achieved the "highest grossing animated feature" record in WDAS.
  • Both films were the longest running animated films on the No. 1 spot on the Billboard 200.
  • Both films were in theaters for over six months.
  • Both films were overhyped and given a lot of praise.
  • Both films won two Oscars.

Even if both are acclaimed a lot, the only difference is that The Lion King was a classic and will be remembered for a while. Frozen on the other hand was more part of the mainsteam animation media (which is dominated by Pixar, Dreamworks, and Blue Sky) since animation was more common and higher quality compared to the animated competitors to the Disney Renaissance.

Character Comparisons:

• Elsa is the Frozen counterpart to Simba. It's pretty funny that the "witch" or someone who casts magic is compared to the main character of The Lion King.
    • Both were the rightful rulers of the kingdom as they were the descendants of the king and queen from the beginning of the movie.
    • Both left their kingdom in guilt after the incident in the major turning point. Scar kills Mufasa and blames Simba while Elsa accidentally freezes Arendelle.
    • Both were bitter about coming back to their kingdoms.
    • The main villain in each film made both characters guilty of killing someone.
  • Anna is similar to Nala. Even if one is filled with character development, the other didn't develop very well (but made a good contribution to the movie she came from). In addition, Anna was the main character of Frozen. Nala isn't the main character of The Lion King.
    • When the rightful ruler left, both left the kingdom to look after.
    • Both talked love life. Anna told Kristoff about Hans while Nala and Simba bonded in a relationship.
    • Both tried to convince their loved ones to return to the kingdom, but failed to convince them.
    • Both met some outcasts as they were looking for the rightful ruler (even though Simba knew Timon and Pumbaa first as Elsa didn't see Kristoff and Olaf before Anna came to the ice castle).
    • Both knew the rightful ruler when they were little and when the king was still alive.
    • Both returned to the kingdom during the darkness.
  • Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven is to Timon and Pumbaa. They were "outcasts" from the kingdom in their films as the met the main characters (Anna and Simba). Olaf and Timon are also pretty goofy as Kristoff and Pumbaa are poor in hygiene.
  • Both kings were similar to each other. The King of Arendelle made Elsa put her gloves on and isolated her from Anna as Mufasa told Simba to not go to the Elephant Graveyard. Both also died early in the films.
  • Hans is similar to Scar. Both were in power during a time of darkness (or bad weather conditions). They also made the rightful ruler look guilty. Simba ultimately got in a fight with Scar as Hans was about to kill Elsa. They are both power hungry and the youngest of their brothers too.

However, they may be quite similar, but they aren't completely similar. For example, Simba didn't return to the kingdom until he was advised as Elsa was captured by Hans and returned her to the kingdom. Another difference in the plot details is about the "outcasts". Timon and Pumbaa knew each other for a long time as Kristoff never met Olaf until he met Anna. In addition, Anna was the one that met the "outcasts" first, not Elsa. Simba, who's similar to Elsa and not Anna, met the outcasts before Nala has. Pabbie was only seen twice in Frozen as Rafiki is seen a whole bunch of times in The Lion King. Hans never killed anyone (even Marshmallow) as the King of Arendelle died prior to the major turning point. We know the story in The Lion King very well. Hans wasn't a ruthless leader when he tried to keep Arendelle alive while Scar was very ruthless. Hans and Anna made a good relationship until later when he betrayed her as Scar never made a good relationship with either Simba or Nala. There was no song in The Lion King like Let it Go, Fixer Upper, Do you want to build a Snowman (unless if you count the Morning Report), Reindeers are better than people, or the reprise to First Time in Forever while there's no song like Be Prepared in Frozen. The Duke of Weselton wanted Elsa killed no matter what as Shenzi gave Simba a chance if he never comes back. Kai wasn't very major, but Zazu was.

Don't forget. There are three major things that make these films obviously different. One of them was the stories they were based on. One was a good adaptation to Hamlet while the other was an okay adaptation to The Snow Queen. Frozen was 3-D animated like the mainstream animated media these days as Lion King was 2-D animated. Finally, Frozen completely lacked talking animal characters as The Lion King was strictly devoted to animal characters.

That's all for this entry. I know they aren't the same movie around, but they are quite similar.

Back