• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

My Name is Legendary Sandwich, I am a Certified Nursing Assistant. (Introduction)

Legendary Sandwich

The Holiest of Hoagies.
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
I guess all I really needed was a place to put my thoughts to paper. But not in a place where everyone and anyone could take a look at it, but rather in a nook somewhere. A place that can be stumbled upon or looked at if determined enough.

This is a most opportune place.

The piece I'm going to write isn't a confessional, nor is it some thought provoking critical piece. It's simply life itself. In particular my life as a Certified Nursing Assistant.

With all that said, I want to say that I won't be pulling any punches. If you have a strong stomach and an iron will, I encourage you to go forward and read what's ahead. But the more meek and mild should keep on their toes.

Welcome, to the world of medicine.

"Being a Nurse means...

You will never be bored.

You will always be frustrated.

You will be surrounded by challenges.

So much to do and so little time.

You will carry immense responsibility
and very little authority.

You will step into people's lives
and you will make a difference.

Some will bless you.

Some will curse you.

You will see people at their worse and at their best.

You will never cease to be amazed
at people's capacity for love, courage,
and endurance.

You will see life begin and end.

You will experience resounding triumphs
and devastating failures.

You will cry a lot.

You will laugh a lot.

You will know what it is to be human
and to be humane."

- Melodie Chenevert, RN​

Six months now I've worked for a skilled healthcare facility. It's a fact that not even I can believe at this point. Six months.

It seems such a long time doesn't it?

Who would have thought a man such as myself could have the capacity and endurance for this job. There's been times where I've considered quitting, finding a different line of work, something not as demanding as this. But I always find myself back in front of the time clock somehow, ready or not, to face yet another night. Another eight hours of delight.

It's no easy thing what we do. Fifteen different people have told me flat out that they couldn't do what I do for a living. They see my scrubs, soiled with mystery stains, wrinkled, smelly, my somehow immaculate name badge, and they just make that comment.

"I can't do what you do."

"I couldn't do it."

I wonder if it would surprise them if I told them I once thought the same thing?

That the man in the scrubs behind his smile and tired eyes, thought himself as mortal as they did?

Yet here I am.

Before we go any further, allow me to educate you on some basic medical terminology. This is to help you not get lost, because I'm going to be throwing some acronyms and jargon later on.

Long-Term Care (LTC) - Is a variety of services which help meet both the medical and non-medical needs of people with a chronic illness or disability who cannot care for themselves for long periods.

Sub-Acute Care (Sub) - Is a level of care needed by a patient who does not require hospital acute care, but who requires more intensive skilled nursing care than is provided to the majority of patients in a skilled nursing facility.

Rehabilitation (Rehab) - Is a level care dedicated to restoring a condition of good health, the ability to work, or the like.

Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastronomy (PEG/Feeding Tube/Tube) - If a person is having ongoing and serious trouble swallowing and can't get enough food or liquids by mouth, a feeding tube may be put directly into the stomach through the abdominal skin. This procedure is called a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy.

Tracheostomy Tube (Trach) - Is a curved tube that is inserted into a tracheostomy stoma (the hole made in the neck and windpipe or trachea).

Vitals - The measurement of five basic signs of life: Temperature, Pulse, Respiration, Blood Pressure, and Oxygen Saturation.

Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) - The eyes and ears of the medical field, and the ground team that deals with residents and patients far more than any member of the healthcare team. We provide the patient and resident with skilled care as outlined by their individual care plan. It is common to think that we can diagnose illnesses, prescribe medicines, and insert tubing - but that's a myth. CNAs are not trained or qualified to do any of that. We can only provide basic care and report any changes we see to the LVNs/RNs.

Licensed Vocational/Professional Nurse (LVN/LPN) - A step above the CNA. This is a nurse who has gone through one to two years of nursing school and as such is much more skilled. Can provide medicines as prescribed from the doctor, perform more delicate procedures, and can act as a supervisor for CNAs.

Registered Nurse (RN) - The next rung on the nursing ladder. Has had extensive schooling and is recognized by the medical board of the state. Can insert and remove tubing such as IVs and Feeder Tubes, can oversee LVNs and CNAs, and perform more advanced procedures than LVNs and CNAs. Some directly report to or work under Medical Doctor (MD), depending on the facility.

(I think that should cover it for now. I'll add more as I see fit.)

I work the Night Shift at a skilled care facility. Eight hours a night. Four days in a row. Two days off. It's a tough schedule and doesn't leave much time for socializing or sleep during the day.

You would think because it's Night Shift, things would be easier than Day Shift right?

Well you'd be wrong.

Day Shift (AM/PM) has an abundance of people coming in and out of the facility at all times, and their schedules are pretty packed. What with showers to give, people to get up, food to serve, and more. But they work in teams and have a set number of patients/residents to deal with to off set the heavy work load. The number is around ten or so.

Noc Shift, as we are called, is comprised of a skeleton crew. Three CNAs and two LVN/RNs. Five people. Our work load can be around 18 to 23 people depending. We do double what Day Shift does and we don't do pairs. Everyone works their own section.

But the reason we have so many is because we don't do as much as Day Shift does. So there is a balance to day and night. We don't do showers, we don't get as many people up, we don't feed them meals save for snacks, and we certainly don't do admittance or discharges.

However that doesn't mean care suddenly stops at night, there's plenty of things to do and people to look after. Those eight hours fly away quickly once you're in the zone.

Now I want to point out that every facility has their own policies and ways of doing things, but this is how mine is so I can't say if this is the norm or not due to my lack of experience.

Don't take my word as gospel is what I'm saying.

So I guess this is the part that everyone loves hearing, and what I'll be touching on next.

What kinds of patients and problems does one face in a facility?

I'll get to that in the next part. As this blog post is long enough already.

I'll edit in a helpful link once part two is written and uploaded.

Stay tuned.

Edit: Click here -> Part 2

Back