• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

New month

Alolan_Apples

Old > New
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
So today is the 1st day of March, which means spring is on its way. However, we didn't really have a winter this year, at least in the eastern US. I think there's something wrong with the climate. It's pretty odd. Not only summer lasted until November, but winter ended somewhere in January or February. But the cyclical season of spring is starting soon.

Just letting you know, every day from today to February 28, 2018, all of the days of the week each date is on is the first time they will be on these days of the week since 2006. I remember March began on a Wednesday in 2000, which was also the same in 2006. But it hasn't started on Wednesday until today. So the calendar arrangement from 2006 is coming back as a new month is starting.

Also, let's not forget about a major event coming this month - the release of the Nintendo Switch. I don't think it's replacing the Wii U or anything, but it's true that the Wii U has been discontinued. Production of new units ended worldwide, less new titles are being released, and many servcies are taking off from the Wii U. It was a short-lived system anyway. Even I have to admit that the Wii U was a failure. In fact, the Wii U was when Nintendo was at its worst. I will explain this in another entry, but I'm here to announce what March is gonna be about.

"In fact, the Wii U was when Nintendo was at its worst."

So you're trying to tell me that the Wii U was a bigger commercial failure than the Virtual Boy or the 64DD? Well here's some statistics...

Wii U was out in the US for about 4 years.
Virtual Boy was out in the US for about 6 months.
64DD was never released in the US.

Wii U sold 13.56 million units.
Virtual Boy sold 770,000 units.
64DD sold 15,000 units.

The Wii U was a "commercial failure" because it didn't live up to its potential.
The Virtual Boy was a commercial failure because it literally gave people headaches.
The 64DD was an absolute commercial failure because it was released too late in the N64's lifetime and couldn't get into the market.

I think the only issue with the Wii U was that there weren't really that many games for it I was interested in, though I can't say this about everyone because I'm selective with pretty much every game console except the N64. If there were more games for the system that were really enjoyable and actually properly utilized the gamepad, I think it would have been a pretty good system. The games that were interesting I thought were really good, like Super Mario 3D World and MK8.

I think of it as a commercial failure the same way the Gamecube was.

Back