• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Opinions on the New 3ds?

lenlen

THAT BOY NEEDS THERAPY!
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1296-8885-2497
Winter Mittens
i bought the new 3ds about 3 or so months ago, and i'd like to see others opinions on it + the differences between it and the old 3ds XL. i personally like it a lot better than my old 3ds- given the fact that my old 3ds was about 6 or so years old and had paint chipping off of it. i also really like the built-in scanner and the different size stylus, but... i don't really think it's worth a 200 dollar upgrade from the old 3ds unless yours is falling apart. anybody else have any imput?

I have the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL, and I love both the inbuilt NFC reader and the faster processor, especially in games like (Ultra) Sun/Moon. The screen size wasn't new for me, as I'd upgraded from my old Pikachu XL, but I wasn't sure if I'd feel comfortable using a standard New 3DS. I know the screens are somewhere between the OG 3DS' and the XLs, but I used to get hand cramp all the time from using my first Metallic Red 3DS, so I didn't want to risk that again.

Watch this:

I have a new 3ds XL and I love it so much!

Last edited:
I like it, mostly because the old models I had ran really poorly even on all the games that ai't even for the New ones. So yeah that and better Internet connection. I do like the design/layout of the OG 3ds xl better though, and it had better LE's

Is it the one on the right?
That's not new.
I've had mine for well over a year.

The official name of the latest 3DS XL is New Nintendo 3DS XL.I would say that Nintendo doesn't spend a lot of time thinking about names for their gadgets.The New Nintendo 3DS XL was released roughly three and a half years ago in North America(not sure when it was released in other markets...might be the same date)Anyways,I think it's a big improvement over the old 3DS XL.The build quality is much better(my old 3DS XL started falling apart after two years of use but my New 3DS XL still looks like it just came out of the box after three and a half years),it operates much faster and it feels a bit more balanced and less top heavy than the old one.I'm not a fan of the fat and stubby stylus,however.Having said all that I actually prefer the New 2DS XL.The New 2DS XL has all the benefits of the New 3DS XL(minus the 3D,of course)but it's lighter,smaller and more comfortable to hold and I think it looks better than the New 3DS XL.It's also $50 cheaper than the New 3DS XL and it even comes with an AC adapter.

When the New 3DS was announced, I really wasn't very interested. Then I ended up getting one because part of my old XL broke and it was easier just to replace it. Now I really appreciate the new features. The faster processor is surprisingly useful, and I find myself actually using 3D now that I don't have to have my head in a particular position. I don't really like the second C-stick. It's way too stiff for any precise movements, and I don't remember a time where I actually used it recently. Also, the battery life is noticeably worse than the old 3DS. It's not surprising, considering the faster processor, but it seems to always be running out, even on the lowest brightness.

Overall despite those drawbacks, it's still a decent system. I wouldn't recommend buying it if you already have an XL, but I would definitely recommend it if you ever need a replacement.

I had my old 3DS since 2011 when it first came out, and it's only now that I've updated to the New 2DS XL. Why did I get it? Well, it's so much cheaper. It's definitely a huge leap, but for the better. The 2DS felt like it sat right with me as I was never fond of the 3D and gave me headaches, even after a 20 minute gameplay. The turquoise and black were the colours I chose simply because it were something new; I had never had a black device before. All my iPhones and tablets had a bezel that was white. Screen size and resolution was another major change and improvement, there's more space to tap away. The speakers have been moved to a new location and because of this, I can actually feel the vibration of the sound on the base of the console while playing. I love that feeling.

Why did Nintendo shrink the size of the stylus?......

to fit the small size of the console.. tbh they could have made it longer, or just made it possible to make longer like some old model.. D: <

I personally have a New 2DS XL (white & orange version) and I absolutely love it (I definitely was not a big fan of the 3D feature, but each to their own and some of my opinions still apply to the New 3DS XL)! It noticeably improves the performance of many games (New Leaf multiplayer is much faster during the save screen for example). I also love how the entire system has a matte finish instead of a glossy finish (except around the screen which is fixable with screen protectors). To me, it totally is worth the price of getting a New 2DS XL new and I also like how my new system (& the black and blue one) resemble the Space World GBA Prototype systems to an extent. :)

gbacolors.jpg

Last edited:
I've got both a normal 3ds xl and a new 3ds xl. I couldn't go back to using the older model for particular games. I play lots of monster hunter and although I use the bumpers to reset my camera angle, using the c stick is extremely useful for me to orient myself precisely (I use light bow gun so it helps me aim before I actually aim my weapon). The second and more important reason I prefer the new version is the 3d face tracking technology, that is essential if playing games in 3d. I really loved the look of my games in 3d but I hated the flickering from the old ds, now I can play games constantly in 3d without any stress. I mainly play animal crossing in 3d as it looks spectacular, especially when its snowing or if it rains ^-^

But yeah the new 3ds is a no brainer over the old one if you like using 3d or require extra controls for games like monster hunter.

Last edited:
I had my old 3DS since 2011 when it first came out, and it's only now that I've updated to the New 2DS XL. Why did I get it? Well, it's so much cheaper. It's definitely a huge leap, but for the better. The 2DS felt like it sat right with me as I was never fond of the 3D and gave me headaches, even after a 20 minute gameplay. The turquoise and black were the colours I chose simply because it were something new; I had never had a black device before. All my iPhones and tablets had a bezel that was white. Screen size and resolution was another major change and improvement, there's more space to tap away. The speakers have been moved to a new location and because of this, I can actually feel the vibration of the sound on the base of the console while playing. I love that feeling.

I got the the black turquoise 2DSXL too because the big circle button on my new 3Dsxl came off and I wasn?t using the 3D on it because it was giving me headaches. And the 2DSXL is much cheaper :)

I got one to replace my first 3DS, which I got at release (it released the day after my birthday, so that was awesome). I mean, it's basically the same console, seeing as the west barely got any games specifically for the New 3DS, but it's nice that it's faster, even though Pok?mon is the only game I really had problems with as far as that, and I love the cover plates - I specifically got the original version rather than an XL for them - it's just too bad they sort of gave up on them, and stopped releasing new ones.

I have a NN3DSXL that?s LoZ-themed and gold-colored, that I?ve had for several years. A couple months ago I also got a NN2DSXL that?s blue and black.

Honestly though, I?ve never had a problem with any of the 3DS systems. I used to have the original 3DS at one point, and I also had the FE: Awakening-themed 3DS at one point, but all of the ones I?ve had so far have held out until the end pretty much. I will say that I like the lighter feel of the NN2DSXL more, but I mainly just got it so I can trade Pokemon between myself and I, and so that I can play more than one game at a time. :)

Last edited:
I personally had a coral pink original 3DS from new in around 2013, and I did enjoy it for the years I had it. But the new 3DS always tempted me with the integrated scanner and better 3D, and of course it being faster than mine. Up around to earlier this year I finally realised mine was definitely showing it's age and it was time to upgrade.

I have the Black version of the standard sized new 3DS now. I got it secondhand for ?85 and it was completely boxed, with everything near to mint! I enjoy the customization with the face plates and just the whole way the system was organised with the game slot, power button and charger etc. The stable 3D is better for my eyes, as it's more comfortable for me to focus on in my opinion, and not having to lug around the NFC reader and scan Amiibo straight in is a personal godsend! I was thinking of a XL but my small hands probably won't be able to handle it after a while..xD (Relating to previous XL use.)

I have always been a fan of the 3DS and favored it over the 2DS' design, until the XL for those came out! It was equally tempting as I feel I could live without 3D, as most games I have don't really need the 3D style to enhance game play. But all in all I am still very happy with my choice. ^^

My 3ds XL is in fine shape, other people who buys another 3ds even they don't need to because there other 3ds is still in good shape are crazy people.
Do you still miss your old 3ds?

Back