• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Perihelion

Alolan_Apples

Mollycord’s Exile
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Today is the day that the Earth is the closet to the Sun in its orbit. If you want to know, the Earth's orbit, like the Moon's orbit, is elliptical with the Sun not in the exact center of the orbit. So there is a time when we are on Aphelion (the furthest) and a time we're on Perihelion (the closest). However, the difference is not very huge on a cosmic scale. That, and if you look into the sky, the sun is barely bigger on Perihelion than on Aphelion. It's smaller than the difference in moon sizes on Perigee and Apogee.

An interesting theory I learned about the Earth's orbit is that every 100,000 years, it changes its shape from a perfect circle to an unusually long ellipse. It could be linked to the Global Warming we feared. I'm not sure where the ice age is (when the orbit is at the longest ellipse or perfect circle), but I know the orbit is changing shape all the time. I bet that we would notice bigger differences with the Earth's orbit at the longest.

Back