• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Question about downloading on the eshop

Cinnabunnie

Super Bunny
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Bell Bag Badge
Cake
Cake
Cake
Cake
Cake
I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but would downloading NL on the eshop make it load slower in game? My reason to think this is because there are so many different speeds when it comes to SD cards and I remember how Japan ran out of NL in stores because they needed some "special" cartridge to make NL. Thanks!!

Yeah I'd like to see a definitive answer to this as well. I thought the special cartridge was merely for more storage space because of the size of the save files.

I'm sorry, I really can't find it :( Can you please link it for me?

Edit: omg i totally didn't realize the link was there... Thanks!!

Last edited:
they did link you to it... Click the "check dis out" in their post lol

Will a 16gb class 4 sd card be good enough for nl. I have enough free space, but would read/write speeds be good enough?

There's not much difference between the class of them. It's literally infinitesimally small.
You're fine.

There's not much difference between the class of them. It's literally infinitesimally small.
You're fine.

Phew, that's a relief.

I am considering cancelling my physical copy on Amazon and going digital. I like this since the game is always inside my 3ds, and ill get it faster. I kinda dont want to go digital because if anything bad happens to my 3ds. That doesn't really discourage me since I usually stick to 1 console

Will a 16gb class 4 sd card be good enough for nl. I have enough free space, but would read/write speeds be good enough?

Yeah I have one of those. It's fine. It's actually to much space lol (no I don't have the game yet... but I downloaded other stuff from the shop, for example tloz oot)

I've found that my digital copy of New Super Mario Bros 2 loads faster than my previous cartridge version.

Class doesnt matter too much just make sure you have a decent mb/s speed, like 20+is pretty decent. theres ultra sandisk ones with 45mb/s which is good

I dont know too much about sd cards so go on, correct me, please, because I dont want to be misinforming people lol

My digital copy of Animal Crossing New Leaf (Japan) loads just fine. The cartridge could only be faster or slower. If the cartridge is faster, I'm not sure what you would be missing out on. I'm happy with the loading speeds of the digital version.

Older thread, I know. But is the SD card that comes with the 3DS XL good for downloading games? I'm highly debating buying NL on the Eshop, and I don't want to spend the money to upgrade my SD card right now.
Edit: I do plan on taking a fair amount of photos in game.

Last edited:
Older thread, I know. But is the SD card that comes with the 3DS XL good for downloading games? I'm highly debating buying NL on the Eshop, and I don't want to spend the money to upgrade my SD card right now.

I second this question. I'll upgrade my SD card if I have to, but it would be great if the default SD card with the XL would be good.

The 3ds comes with a 2GB SD card and that would basically be full if you downloaded ACNL plus the other basic stuff your 3DS used the SD card for.

The 3DSXL comes with a 4GB SD card and I found that it gets close to being full from having a few games off the eShop. You would be fine with the 4GB SD card if you ONLY download ACNL and take pictures and such, pictures dont take much room. But if you plan on downloading anything else just get a cheap 8GB or 16GB or 32GB and then youll probably never have to think about it again.

I forget the exact number but ACNL is over 1GB all by its self without saves or anything.

The 3ds comes with a 2GB SD card and that would basically be full if you downloaded ACNL plus the other basic stuff your 3DS used the SD card for.

The 3DSXL comes with a 4GB SD card and I found that it gets close to being full from having a few games off the eShop. You would be fine with the 4GB SD card if you ONLY download ACNL and take pictures and such, pictures dont take much room. But if you plan on downloading anything else just get a cheap 8GB or 16GB or 32GB and then youll probably never have to think about it again.

I forget the exact number but ACNL is over 1GB all by its self without saves or anything.

Thank you! I talked it over with my mom, and decided to keep my physical copy reserved at gamestop so I have more room for photos. But that's good to know, just for reference.

Back