• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Question about Villager quality?

Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
I was wondering to myself today about quality of villagers. There are some villagers, Julian for example, who are well detailed and pixelated. There are others however, that don't look as nicely presented to me. For another example Lucha. I it just me or does his face look very pixelated? Are there any other villagers like this?

GGA

Last edited:
Coach, sadly, is pretty sloppily designed in-game. The part where the gray on his face meets the yellow is very pixely. I think he's cute in general, but some lighting shows off that flaw really bad. He looks great in the Plaza on Wii U though!

I always assumed that they all looked the same in terms of artwork. I'll look closer sometime...

The reason some villagers have pixelated designs under some lighting is because Nintendo made the models at a higher resolution most likely and had to optimize the polygons of each of the models in order for them to work on the less graphic-intensive 3DS. That caused some of the designs to stretch with the polygons. Villagers that are almost all one color or don't have any color transitions around the curves on their faces look better because nothing was distorted from a higher polygon model to a lower one.

Put simply, just imagine drawing something on a piece of elastic or silly putty. Then stretch it. That's what happens.

Back