• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Should I...?

Lotus

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
I'm planning to buy the physical version of the game but I'm planning to play it on the 3DS XL for indoor & the original 3DS outdoor but should I use the same SD memory card to play in the both 3DSs?

Last edited:
Transferring means all data will be moved to the new system, and erased from the old one. So no, you cannot keep your downloaded games on both systems, ambassador or otherwise. You can, however, buy them again on the old system after transferring data, but you will need to pay for it again as well.

You can only transfer once a week, and any system is only allowed to participate in a transfer up to five times. So you cannot keep transferring back and forth at will, it's intended as a one-time thing.

If you have already downloaded software on the new system, that'll be overwritten. You can re-download it afterwards, however. The SD card in the new system will be erased in the process, the SD card from the old system will, after the transfer, only work in the new system. All data on that card will now be linked to the new system.

This also means that, in order to actually use the 4 GB card that comes with the XL, you'll need to transfer your data, and then manually copy the data to the larger card using a PC anyway. Since the data is linked to the serial number of the new unit, copying SD cards also does not allow you to keep your games on the old unit.

Save games for card-based games are not stored on the unit, but on the card itself. No issue transferring save data there.

TL;DR, Your SD card and it's contents have a serial number of the system they are used on. You can transfer them every time you want to use a new system. From my understanding, what you want to do is not as easy as popping in the SD card.

Transferring means all data will be moved to the new system, and erased from the old one. So no, you cannot keep your downloaded games on both systems, ambassador or otherwise. You can, however, buy them again on the old system after transferring data, but you will need to pay for it again as well.

You can only transfer once a week, and any system is only allowed to participate in a transfer up to five times. So you cannot keep transferring back and forth at will, it's intended as a one-time thing.

If you have already downloaded software on the new system, that'll be overwritten. You can re-download it afterwards, however. The SD card in the new system will be erased in the process, the SD card from the old system will, after the transfer, only work in the new system. All data on that card will now be linked to the new system.

This also means that, in order to actually use the 4 GB card that comes with the XL, you'll need to transfer your data, and then manually copy the data to the larger card using a PC anyway. Since the data is linked to the serial number of the new unit, copying SD cards also does not allow you to keep your games on the old unit.

Save games for card-based games are not stored on the unit, but on the card itself. No issue transferring save data there.

TL;DR, Your SD card and it's contents have a serial number of the system they are used on. You can transfer them every time you want to use a new system. From my understanding, what you want to do is not as easy as popping in the SD card.

You misunderstood me, I mean't can I play with 1 physical copy for 2 3DSs without the same SD card?

So there is no extra data on the SD memory card?
I believe that the only things that will be stored on the SD Card are photos.
If anyone could clarify on this, I would appreciate it as I am not too sure either on this subject...

Yes you can. Save data will be saved on your game cartridge and photos will be saved on your SD card.

More info about transfering data can be found on support.nintendo.com
PapaNer, your post had plenty of info, but was slightly one-sided and lacked a few bits of info.

Back