• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Super Mario 64 Remake Suggestions (Part 10)

Alolan_Apples

Mollycord’s Exile
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
So it's been 10 blog entries since I started the SM64 remake suggestions blog series and I'm almost out. There's still a couple more remake suggestions, and we're in the mountain ones.

Tall Tall Mountain:

As I was working on looking for nitpicks, I can't find anything interesting about this level. To me, this level is too generic, especially when the last set of levels is supposed to have some unique concept. I still have a few suggestions on fixing the level, but when there aren't as many suggestions, it doesn't mean it's perfect or almost perfect. It means it's not as interesting. But yes, I prefer to have a taller mountain and graphics update.

1. Add more sections to the mountain at each level - since the level focuses more on gameplay and not at visuals at all, I would talk more about adding gaps and some obstacles (like these pushing blocks in Bowser in the Dark World, cube rides like in Super Mario Sunshine, and even the rolling hills like in Super Mario 3D World). The waterfall can be at one section the whole time.
  2. Move the mushrooms to the second level - when you get to the back of the mountain for the first time (or near the back), you can see some mushrooms to jump across. You don't have to jump on them (unless if you want the red coins) to climb, but falling off will land you back into Peach's castle with a life lost. I prefer not to see them early and move them up, as long as the mountains have more levels.
  3. Revamp the shortcut to climb the mountain - at the back of the mountain, you can find a shortcut with half the red coins. That should start on the first level when you get to the back, but take you all the way up to the fourth level. To encourage players to skip the shortcut, they should block it off on the first mission then on the next mission, it should be opened. This is the shortcut that's safe from the bottomless pit.
  4. Remove the dip in the higher mountain - what's the point of going down anyway if you're going up? When you get to the part with the cannon balls, you can see where you take a dip as you climb.
  5. Elongate the slide in Mysterious Mountainside - I suggsted the same thing for the penguin slide. I don't care about repetition this time. Make it longer, that's all.
  6. Make the waterfall cave larger - some caves I enjoy are the caves behind the waterfalls. A small cave for a star was good enough for the time, but there should be a larger cave with more steps on the inside to get the star.

Tiny-Huge Island:

This level has one of my favorite concepts in the game. It had a large form and a small form. It's not Mario that grows bigger or smaller. It's like Lilliput and Brobdingnag. I suggest adding more than just graphics updates.

1. Rescale the Tiny-Huge Island - it's going to be a long story, but they need to not just add more sections, but also determine the real size of the mountain. Imagine a size between the tiny island and huge island, where enemies are at scale. That should be the new tiny island. Now make it twice as big (assuming the huge island was twice as big as the tiny island in the original). That's the new huge island.
  2. Add more coins - this is one of the few levels where collecting 100 coins is a lot harder, so they should have more coins outside the cave to collect. It will make getting the 100-coin star easier.
  3. Add another level to the mountain - I like to see more on the island. I enjoy climbing too.
  4. Add another way to climb the tiny island - I don't want to make limited time blocks appear to help me go up the island. I prefer an easy way to go up.
  5. Make the cave easier to navigate - I don't want too much jumping across pits. They need to make climbing each column easier than they did in the original.
  6. Make Bob-omb Buddy appear on the huge island. - you can only use the cannon on the huge island, but the bob-omb buddy only appears on the tiny island. Backtracking in general is bad for video games.
  7. If the fish swallows you, it's Game Over - this may not sound like a good idea at all, but I prefer to have some scare factor added. When you get swallowed by the fish, you notice that your entire health meter drains. The fish doesn't spit you out. Good thing you only lose one life. But I would prefer to make it a hazard that's an instant Game Over.

There's two more levels to go through, but that's it for this entry.

For tall tall mountain, I very much agree that the level is really bland. It definitely needs a graphical enhancement or something. I actually believe this is the most unappealing level in the game.

1. If the mountain is going to be a bit bigger, then it wouldn't hurt to elongate some sections or add something to them. Visuals are the biggest deal in this level (at least they should be).

2. The issue with that is that the mushrooms are really easy to fall off of, and it would be even more frustrating to walk up to the second level to get to them. Besides, one of them has a warp that leads to the cannon close by.

3. Eh, I think they should leave it. The shortcut can be difficult for inexperienced players anyways, so it really wouldn't be a shortcut because it would still take a while to climb up.

4. I don't have an opinion about this one.

5. Yes. They should also fix the impossible right turn near the end of the slide.

6. That's not a bad idea, but it's a bit unnecessary.

Now, regarding tiny huge island..

I was never a big fan of that level. It's difficult to get through the large island, and the small island restricts you from getting into places you would have to go into through the big island.

1. I can't seem to grasp this concept. I think the big island should be like the Supermassive Galaxy from SMG2, and the tiny island should be aboutthe same scale but smaller. Like, if the huge islad is 3x the normal size, then the small islad should be x.3 the normal size.

2. I agree.

3. Ehhh, I'm a bit skeptical about that. But then again, I don't like big changes to old games.

4. If you could elaborate a little more on this... Besides, let's keep the challenge. The tiny island is really easy to climb anyways.

5. They need to make it less impossible to get the red coin star, too. I sti haven't gotten it. Oh, and they need to make it easier to get into the cave.

6. I guess, but making the bob-omb buddy in the tiny lsland and the cannon in the huge island gave it a challenge. Then again I guess it was a bit frustrating.

7. Look, I already hate that fish as it is, so don't make me have to stick a knife in it a couple times.

On your account you should at least add a way to defeat the fish. He needs his butt whopped. Bad people shouldn't be able to get away with their actions, regardless of if the bad person is a fish or not.

Back