• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Super Mario 64 Remake Suggestions (Part 2)

Alolan_Apples

Mollycord’s Exile
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
After extensively exploring every level yesterday, I knew what should be changed for the better. I know that remaking the game like how I am suggesting makes it less memorable and makes you think it's not the Super Mario 64 you remember, but it's for the betfer. The problem here is that if you don't want to play a game that is small and simple like Super Mario 64, you won't get any good 3D Mario games likd SM64. Super Mario Sunshine has too many blue coins obscured in tricky places, Super Mario Galaxy is too linear with the gravity mechanic and prankster comets (which I think are bad for platformers), Super Mario Galaxy 2 has too many sidescroller segments, and Super Mario 3D World is not like the other 3D Mario games.

I also feel that all four 3D Mario games prior to 2011 (64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2) deserve remakes for updated graphics and gameplay. But Super Mario 64 needs it the most. 3D World is beyond repair for a remake.

Now I'm gonna go over the extensive details needed to fix Super Mario 64.

Bob-omb Battlefield:

The first level in Super Mario 64 is quite easy by all standards. It was amazing for its time. But this hilly battlefield overrun by Bob-ombs and Goombas is no bigger than Bianco Hills or any longer than Good Egg Galaxy. It was a test run for the time, but now it's very small. Other than re-sizing the battlefield to make it bigger and improving the graphics (like changing the Bob-omb designs to their Mario Kart 8 designs), here are the other things that need to be done.

1. Make the first path longer - to climb the hill, the first step is to walk across the path. Compare it to the path length in Bianco Hills's first path. That's a really short path. If they're gonna resize the whole level like I suggest, they'll need to make every part twice as big or more. This includes the hill, the valley, the lowlands, the first plateau, and the second plateau. That first step is to extend the first path. In addition, they should add more goombas on the way and turn those generic blocks into actual wooden ones.
  2. Add gaps in the bridge - I suggest making changes to the level based on whether or not the Bob-omb King is defeated. One of them is to add gaps in the wooden bridge at the end of the first path and at the beginning of the second path. The bridge should be longer, has supports, and before the Bob-omb King is defeated, should have gaps to jump across. Once he's defeated, the bridge should be complete for Koopa the Quick to run across.
  3. Deactivate the pulley contraption in Big Bob-omb on the Summit - another thing that they can change is that weird pulley machine in Bob-omb Battlefield. In the first mission, it should be turned off so you can be challenged to cross the broken bridge. After the first mission, it should turn on again. I would also like it to be taller.
  4. Deactivate the cannons after the first mission - even after the Bob-omb King surrenders, the cannons still shoot at you when you go through some areas. To fix this, they should only make them work as long as the Bob-omb King is still there. After that, they no longer fire.
  5. Enlarge the island in the sky - you know that floating island you can reach as mentioned in Shoot to the Island in the Sky, right? As long as the rest of the level is getting bigger, I suggest doing the same for the floating island. And we can decorate it even more to make it look more gorgeous to stay on. The five rings to fly through can stay the same as long as they're longer in distance.
  6. Relocate the second path to walk through the cannon field - the second path also needs a change. When you first cross the bridge, it takes you directly to the Chain Chomp. Instead of having the path blocked off from the cannon field, I would suggest making it go through it after the expansion. They can also make the hills around the path a bit taller to encourage players to stay on the path. But there will still be goombas and bob-ombs around the area. Towards the end, the land will be flatter as you approach the Chain Chomp area.
  7. Fix the Chain Chomp section - while the Chain Chomp should get bigger and scarier, the section should also get bigger so the Chain Chomp won't reach out too much. It won't attack you if you walk on the path, but as long as you're near it to set it free, you're in trouble.
  8. Add more teetering bridges across the valley - with the valley lot larger, filled with more bob-ombs, and with a path down to the valley from the second plateau, I would also recommend adding more teetering bridges across the valley. Three would be enough by the way.
  9. Make ground pounding the stumps worth 20 coins - ever wanna know what happens if you ground pound a stump? Nothing happens. I suggest when you ground pound all four stumps around the area the red coin star appears, 20 coins will explode, and you can collect them.
  10. Remove red coins in Big Bob-omb on the Summit - this is another change that needs to be done that's related to the Bob-omb King. Once he's defeated, you can collect the red coins so there's no skipping stars.
  11. Make the hill taller - you wouldn't be surprised to see me say this. When you get to the hill, you don't have much to climb. I'm okay with the boulders rolling down, but there should be some more interesting sections as you climb the mountain, which includes elongating the bridge, adding gardens behind the mountain, and adding enemies to the last section before reaching the summit.
  12. Make the Bob-omb King tougher - the last change that needs to be made is to toughen up the Bob-omb King. Make him throw bob-ombs at Mario. When Mario throws a bob-omb at him, he will be stunned, which is enough for Mario to pick him up and throw him. He shouldn't pick him up while he's walking. He should also walk faster than he did in SM64. But throwing the Bob-omb King three times can still defeat him.

I'm not going to do one level at a time, but that's enough for now. You can now see how I'm suggesting changes.

*I'm not sure what "pulley" thing you're talking about...

I'm pretty sure that if Nintendo makes a remake of SM64, they're not going to add more levels. I think 15 levels is a nice suit. They could make extra secret levels that you can unlock, like the island on the DS remake. They could also add more missions to the levels and give them more depth.

I feel like Bon-omb Battlefield, or any level for that matter, could increase in size a bit, because like you said, it feels too small. Plus, that is what happened with the Throwbak galaxy on SMG2. They made the level slightly bigger and that gave it a much better feel.

Some suggestions, like the gaps in the bridge, are nice but not mandatory. The first bridge should be made to be a little bit wider, though.

It would be good to make the Chain Chomp area bigger, but he himself should remain the same size. I feel like he's already big and scary enough. We don't need GBA cheese land-size chain chomps in Bob-omb Battlefield.

Though I am very glad that you are making suggestions for a new SM64 remake. SM64 is my favorite game of all time, and I'm not exaggarating. Why do you think I made my username what I made it? I was very disappointed with the DS remake, because while the graphics on the DS are better, it wasn't a big step-up. If Nintendo incorporated SM3DW-style graphics into SM64, just that alone would make a huge difference in how the game feels.

Interesting to rad your thoughts on this, to be honest I don't think this is/was an easy area with the clunky controller and to manage them AND the camera so the difficulty has no need to be altered for those thing to be harder, unless they completely alter the stage itself and the camera.

Also yeah in general more stuff to jump since the camera is as it is would be nice unless they indeed do a total update to it.

Back