• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

This build worth $250?

AoJones

Ao of Sorami
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
A friend is trying to sell me a old gaming pc build at a price of $250. It's about 2.5 years old, and could use more ram. He claims it can handle games pretty well. I had someone else look it over and they said its terrible. Money is tight, really tight and I recognize for this price games may not look pristine, but it's better than the old laptop I have. Here's the specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.1 GHz) [ 2 Cores, 2 Threads ] 1MB --never overclocked -- never needed to.
Motherboard: nVidia nForce 590 SLI
Memory: 4GB DDR2 -- can be upgraded to 8GB
Video/Graphics: Dual SLI Cards -- ATI Radeon HD 4870 (From Alienware) each 512MB DDR5
Storage: 250GB SATA HDD 16MB Cache -- Fast
SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A

Case: Diablotek -- approximately 8 months old 3 120mm Blue LED Quiet Fans 2 80mm Blue LED Quiet Fans, Awesome CPU Cooler with multiple Blue LEDs by Gigabyte - cooling is not a problem and not loud.
Power Supply: 880W SLI Certified with Blue LED fan.

I would like to be able to play games like Guild wars 2. Also if it's far from good can I upgrade it?

I'm going to say no.
At 250 dollars, that is about the cost of a decent video card alone.

I'm going to say no.
At 250 dollars, that is about the cost of a decent video card alone.

Aw I had a feeling it was too good to be true. Not even a good starting point huh? Guess I may be stuck pcless for a good while.

Aw I had a feeling it was too good to be true. Not even a good starting point huh? Guess I may be stuck pcless for a good while.

That graphics card is around 5 years old.

If you need to game, would probably be best to buy a video card seperate.

That graphics card is around 5 years old.

If you need to game, would probably be best to buy a video card seperate.

Bare with me please (new to this) what if I bought it could I just replace the video card later?

You could, yes.
Guild Wars 2 doesn't require an AMAZING graphics card; I'm going to say around 7500-8000 because that is what it takes to run Vindictus for me.

I was wrong earlier, a decent video card isn't 250; you can get one for around a hundred but 4870 is just awful.
A radeon 7750 is around a hundred dollars, but you may need to upgrade your PSU. In any case, I would go to your local Best Buy and ask, I'm no expert lol.

You could, yes.
Guild Wars 2 doesn't require an AMAZING graphics card; I'm going to say around 7500-8000 because that is what it takes to run Vindictus for me.

I was wrong earlier, a decent video card isn't 250; you can get one for around a hundred but 4870 is just awful.
A radeon 7750 is around a hundred dollars, but you may need to upgrade your PSU. In any case, I would go to your local Best Buy and ask, I'm no expert lol.

Alright thanks so I'm guessing I shouldn't get it? It's the cheapest one available to me that looks somewhat legit. Also if guild wars 2 can play it for now, I would be fine as long as I can upgrade parts later.

pretty sure 4870 can't even run it :( sorry

yeah definitely not. I spent about 150 on each of my GFX cards. You wont be able to run much with that.

Back