Which to start: NL or NH?

meltydreams

Bells
Carnival Coins
Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I figured this would be the best place to gather some insight. I want to get started on Animal Crossing, but I'm not sure if I want to get started on New Leaf or New Horizons. I picked up a 3DS recently for some other stuff, and I figured that NL is on the table, but I also have a copy of NH. I played NL like crazy when I was younger but never really got a deep-dive into NH, especially with all of the updates that came out. My NH island is in dire need of restarting, so it would be a fresh start regardless of which game I decide to play first. (I might get around to both of them, it depends on my satisfaction with which game I pick and my free time)

I've tried to lay out some pros & cons for each game that I've gathered/can remember:

New Leaf:
Pros:
- 3DS is more compact, which will be nice because I will be going to college next year.
- There's a bit of a nostalgia factor for me.
- I like the music a bit more.
- Tools don't break!
- I feel nice and cutesy when I play on my 3DS (this is kind of a joke)
- More options for progression with unlocking new stores & upgrading stores (to my knowledge).
- Tortimer's Island!

Cons:
- Worse graphics.
- Not as much room for customization around the island.
- Worse QoL (to my knowledge)
- No TV connectivity.

New Horizons:
Pros:
- Better graphics.
- Lots of room for creative expression with decorating & island shaping.
- Still portable, even if to a lesser degree.
- Better QoL (to my knowledge)
- Options for TV connectivity.

Cons:
- Not as compact as the 3DS, especially considering I am reliant on a Pro Controller because my JoyCons don't work.
- Breakable tools! This really bothered me when I first played NH, but I'm sure I can adapt.
- The music isn't as good as NL, but not bad by any means.

Please note that both of my consoles are modded. Although I have a tiny preference for vanilla, if modding makes a considerable difference in deciding please do not hesitate to let me know! I am not familiar with the AC modding scene in the slightest.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free to add it!

I don't know anything about modded Nintendo consoles so my knowledge and judgement will be lacking.
My opinion is: I think it depends on what you want to do and how much you enjoy playing the game.

I never really decorated the town in my New Leaf game, so I was going to say if you want to decorate outside , then maybe New Horizons- but I remember visiting a few of the TBT's mods dream addresses before the online service closed- and their exteriors were amazing.

So... I do think it depends on what you want to do-decorating plan wise and what game you fundamentally prefer.

Personally, New Leaf is my pick. I love the graphics and I actually like playing the game. (It's also faster to load New Leaf vs New Horizons.)
While the graphics are better in New Horizons, there's no charm. But! The decorating abilities in New Horizons is no joke.. I've also seen a lot of people's builds online and they are amazing. If you have HHD, I think the possibilities are endless.

So I'd say, in terms of decorating: if you're looking for a challenge- then maybe New Leaf. But if you want full control and it to be a bit easier with decorating: New Horizons.
Again, this is my personal opinion- I did not decorate the exterior in New Leaf so I have no idea if it really is a "challenge". ( I did move my villager's houses a lot and that would take, literally hours. )

Last edited:
Maybe I’m biased as New Leaf was my first game, but New Leaf just has this soul to it that the other games don’t. This has probably been long since done to death on this forum, but New Horizons felt corporate to me. The graphics were quite nice, though.

Maybe I’m biased as New Leaf was my first game, but New Leaf just has this soul to it that the other games don’t. This has probably been long since done to death on this forum, but New Horizons felt corporate to me. The graphics were quite nice, though.
Is totally agree with that... AC:NL was my first game too, and for some reason it feels so different compared to the others.

Back