• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Word of the Day: Baroque

Alolan_Apples

Old > New
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
It’s time for another word of the day. Yesterday’s word was ambiguous. Today’s word is:

Baroque

Definition:

Pronunciation:

bə’rōk

Meaning:

Overly decorated; very stylish

Synonyms:

- Rich
- Ornate
- Fancy

Antonyms:

- Plain

Etymology:

From 18th century French, which originally referred to a “pearl of an irregular shape”.

What is baroque:

• A restaurant with many wall and ceiling decorations
  • A nice-looking shop that looks better on the outside
  • A model home
What isn’t baroque:

• An empty room
  • A properly furnished apartment, but no indoor or outdoor decorations
  • A present with plain-colored wrapping paper with no ribbons, bow, or other decorations

I'm currently (and have in the past) playing a French Suite by Bach, and his era of music writing is called the "baroque period".

If you listen to his preludes and fugues, they definitely have that kind of sound to them. Rich and full. I personally enjoy playing them a lot. ^^

I know that there was an art/music period known as the Baroque era. That period was also the Colonial era, according to the United States, back when we had only 13 colonies.

Back