• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Writing a perfect episode guide

Alolan_Apples

Old > New
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
After reading Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and South Park Archives (two Wikia sites) several times, I have an idea on how you can write a TV guide or episode guide. It’s also worth mentioning that I used to be a member of TV.com, which is all about writing episode guides. Here is an outline of what episode guides come in:

• General - has info on the synopsis, recap, original airdate, and reception.
  • Script - lists all of the characters and quotes.
  • Images - screenshots of the episode.
  • Trivia - interesting facts about the episode.
The first three are as simple as I could list, but I would suggest putting the quicklist first (episode title, sample image, airdate, episode order, season, and in case of 11-minute episodes, the counterpart). Then you put the synopsis (the general plot), the recap (the full plot), and finally, the reception.

The Trivia information is more complex than the rest, so I’ll just outline the trivia, and it would be best if the headers followed my outline.

• Trivia:
    • Off-camera events - refers to the information related to the episode, but not happening inside the episode. They are mostly production facts, but this also includes controversies, airing history facts (like how the Chowder episodes swapped counterparts after premiere night), regional differences, and what the cast thinks of the episode. It also includes facts about memes based on the episode.
    • On-camera events - refers to the information that happens INSIDE the episode. They include running gags, plot twists, tropes (such as fourth wall breaks and karma), easter eggs, hints, and new facts about each character. It can also include parallels to reality that are actually true (like when Sandy told Patrick that he should be arrested for impersonating a doctor in the SpongeBob episode Suds). I wouldn’t count continuity facts, references, or bloopers since they are better suited for other sections.
    • Continuity - refers to the information related to the episode and other episodes with similar facts. Stuff like “This is the third episode that...” and “Someone made the same mistake in...” count as continuity facts. It also includes facts about prior events happening and facts that prove how consistent the show is.
  • Allusions:
    • Referenes to actual events or real life - these include all of the allusions that aren’t references to pop culture or other media. It’s more like history quotes, historical events, rules, other cultures, or modern-day stuff. In South Park and similar shows, this includes references to politics and news (like in the South Park episode Splatty Tomato, they made a reference to a conspiracy theory about schools indoctrinating students to become liberals).
    • References to pop culture - these include all of the allusions that are references to pop culture and other media. Like if it came from a movie, a video game, a song, a book, or other TV shows. Parodies tend to have a lot of this.
  • Errors:
    • Inaccuracies - these are the errors that aren’t screenplay goofs or inconsistencies, but they are happenings in the episode that don’t match reality. Although it’s perfectly normal for cartoons to not make sense, there are some facts or happenings that are not correct. These include historical inaccuracies, timeline inaccuracies (such as inventions or architecture existing before they actually happened), scientific inaccuracies, impossibilities, plot holes relating to reality, or allusion inaccuracies (like if McDonald’s was selling an item that they don’t provide in real life or if a celebrity is featured with something they never had or encountered in real life).
    • Inconsistencies - these are the continuity errors. For instance, a fact is made or discovered in one episode, but another episode has proven otherwise. Take for example, SpongeBob. In the Krusty Krab, the grill is usually next to the window where orders are made, but some episodes feature the grill in other locations. For serialized shows, they would talk about prior events, but whatever they said is not true at the time.
    • Bloopers - these are the actual mechanical errors of the episode. Like if the coloration or placement of something is in different scenes, the subtitles don’t match the quotes, or a character is in one place and another at the same time. It could also include plot holes relating to the episode and credit inaccuracies. Like I said before, it’s normal for cartoons to not make sense, but even they aren’t exempt from errors.
No TV guide fits the outline I have written in this blog, but if you want to write a TV guide, this is a perfect outline to use.

Back