• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Your thoughts on the english names of AC New Leaf?

Aloha

Bird
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Red Pansy
White Pansy
Yellow Pansy
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
Mailbox
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Astral Inner Planet Floating Gold #10
The Bell Tree Fair 2013 Patch
Orange (Fruit)
When I found out that Community projects became Public Works projects(or something like that) i was like so sad.I don't know why.Community projects sounds more natural while public works makes it sounds like it has something to do with bathrooms or the sewere :p

Meh. I really don't even care. As long as I get my game ^_^ I have been waiting a lot less than a lot of you have been waiting for, but it has seemed like an ETERNITY!!! I would buy the game for 90 dollars right now with reduced graphics, no 3D (Graphics are very important to me :( ) and extended loading times by 1-2.5 seconds, and no new characters or personalities. I am EXTREMELY desperate. I just need to be able to somehow occupy myself for 2 more months... or 9 or so weeks...

I don't really care; even if I don't like a name I'll be over it in a few minutes

I think they did an alright job putting the game into English, from what I've seen.

It seems the reason quite a few people have been getting bent out of shape over the new terms got to used to the translations from the Japanese version, although I admit there are changes that were probably unnecessary...

Personally, I think all the name changes have been perfectly reasonable and work well. The character names are strange at times, but I get used to that easily because I know I haven't heard every name in the world before.

Yeah, except public works projects is an actual term used by governments on all levels in the United States and most likely other places to refer to projects that are publicly funded, such as parks, schools, police stations, town decorations, etc. Community projects are projects ran and funded by a specific community of people, such as charities/shelters/orphanages and online crowdsourced projects such as wikis and some games such as Sonic 2 HD.

Therefore, the change to public works projects is perfectly reasonable and makes sense.

Public Works is a stupid name... Sounds like Something criminals are subject to... Community Projects sounds like doing projects for the community.

I personally think the localization team has done a really good job. I'll admit that public works projects doesn't roll off the tongue quite as nicely, but I do like that it sounds more official and... mayor-ey? There have actually been a couple names that I prefer in the localized version in comparison to the Japanese version, like calling the strip mall Main Street instead. I also do like that they change some of the names so that the word play makes sense in English (Rparkers->Recycle, owners named Reese and Cyrus).

Even when I don't like the names, I keep in mind that this always happens. We get the English terms, and we freak out because of how ugly/long/simple/stupid they are despite the fact that from the beginning, we knew that a lot of the terms would get localized. We complain about it for a little bit and use the Japanese names. Then the game gets released and everyone forgets how opposed we were to the terms, and then the next game gets released so the cycle can restart. It's simply the tradition of localized games.

Public Works is a stupid name... Sounds like Something criminals are subject to... Community Projects sounds like doing projects for the community.

Did you even read my reply? And besides, what is the typical name of the service that people can be subjected to as a punishment? Certainly not "public works service".

And everyone would have complained and nitpicked about other names too such as Tom Nook if he was a new character. I think everyone needs to loosen up.

I think they are trying to make the whole game feel like you are the mayor of a small town rather than a big city. The difference is that many small town mayors are not as busy (the previous mayor of the town that I live in also has an insurance business), so they can get away with actually relaxing. In keeping with that theme, they changed the "mall" to Main Street, just as it is in a usual small town. I don't know about other small towns, but the department that keeps up with the beautification, such as trimming trees and putting up decorations for holidays, is the Public Works department in my town. I guess it depends on how you see things on how it feels. To me, the new names feel right.

um...Community Service? Which is generally something people get after being in trouble.

Personally I like Community Projects better, but Public works makes perfect sense.

um...Community Service? Which is generally something people get after being in trouble.

Personally I like Community Projects better, but Public works makes perfect sense.

I agree...when I think of Community service, I think of the drunk drivers and the like (in one of our towns, they actually wear vests that say why they are doing service) picking up trash along the highway. To me, Public Works is a better description.

Even if every single thing was named "poopbutts," I'd still enjoy the game. I don't think any of the changes will bother me.

Remember when we found out the name was New Leaf instead of Jump Out and everyone got in a tizzy? I think it's the same thing. We have grown used to what names we had, and most changes seem unnatural.

Give it time, I'm sure we'll get used to it.

I think they are trying to make the whole game feel like you are the mayor of a small town rather than a big city. The difference is that many small town mayors are not as busy (the previous mayor of the town that I live in also has an insurance business), so they can get away with actually relaxing. In keeping with that theme, they changed the "mall" to Main Street, just as it is in a usual small town. I don't know about other small towns, but the department that keeps up with the beautification, such as trimming trees and putting up decorations for holidays, is the Public Works department in my town. I guess it depends on how you see things on how it feels. To me, the new names feel right.

That's a term used pretty much all towns across the US. Most governments across the US, actually.

Even if every single thing was named "poopbutts," I'd still enjoy the game. I don't think any of the changes will bother me.
"Hey poopbutts, lets go to the poopbutts!!"

Hmm personally I'm used to name changes ever since following a game through its localization process??
Honestly not even Shizue renamed to Isabelle bothered me that much compared to what I was expecting.
tumblr_mc46oo5FBj1qdlkyg.gif

It'll be hard to refer to things in their English names for a little bit, but other than that everything's cool.

I even actually like Reese's name.

Back