Best town map layouts

I personally think it varies among every person. There is no best map. I do notice a lot of people tend to have a preference for maps that have the river going across.

I'm very satisfied with both of my town maps. My main town has a map with the river going across.
YNgV5fZ.jpg

Meanwhile, my second town has a different layout.
mHGFVJM.jpg

As long as you're happy with your town maps, that's what matters. :D

I personally think it varies among every person. There is no best map. I do notice a lot of people tend to have a preference for maps that have the river going across.

I'm very satisfied with both of my town maps. My main town has a map with the river going across.
YNgV5fZ.jpg

Meanwhile, my second town has a different layout.
mHGFVJM.jpg

As long as you're happy with your town maps, that's what matters. :D

Those are some nice maps! I'd love an eastern beach, looks so much nicer ^^

I can't really say I have a favorite type of map, since I base it based on what I want to do. For example, with Neovi I just wanted to have a lot of space next to or under the townplaza, so I could stick all of my villagers there. So yeah, happy with my maps. Can't really post em rn due to having no access to a 3ds right now.

To add to Toukools response, people also generally want to have a connected beach and retail by the traintracks.

tbh there no real layout that's the best. it depends on what you want for your town really. i really like the layouts both of my towns have, but other people might prefer different ones.

i managed to find a guide showing all the possible layout options here because i couldn't be bothered to take screenshots of both of my town's maps haha. both of my towns' layouts are in the bottom row on the left - lumatown's is c3, while pearlsey's is b6.

Last edited:
There's not a particular layout I prefer (though I think that the south facing waterfalls are very pretty and I have one in Snowmilk!), but I definitely do like having one beach with a little private island. I find that having two beaches is sort of a hassle and I prefer the one in Shika! :0 Also, the less rocks the better! :)
I personally adore my map though!

Snowmilk Map labelled.jpg

It seems like a lot of people actually don't like the small strip of land I have one the left, but I think it's cute! :)

Everyone seems to have a better map than me :(
No, I'm not happy with it at all. But it's too late to reset....although I have considered it. Just wouldn't want to lose everything.
I have a section on the top right of my map (can't get a photo on right now) that is impossible to work with. I just put a tiny orchard there but I never go up that end. Is no point. The river is right next to it, it back the railway lines and leads to a cliff....can only get to it by walking all the way around and there's no point because there's nothing to see there....just feels like that whole space is a waste of time

No, I'm not happy with it at all. But it's too late to reset....although I have considered it. Just wouldn't want to lose everything.
I have a section on the top right of my map (can't get a photo on right now) that is impossible to work with. I just put a tiny orchard there but I never go up that end. Is no point. The river is right next to it, it back the railway lines and leads to a cliff....can only get to it by walking all the way around and there's no point because there's nothing to see there....just feels like that whole space is a waste of time

Oh my god it feels so good to find someone in the exact situation as me, you don't know how relieved I feel right now... I'm also considering resetting, but I'm very far in :(

I hated my old map, so I restarted. I now love my town map due to the space I have to work with! The only thing I would change is the train station colour, but oh well, I can't be bothered to care about that

I have quite a few maps that I am working with (see my sig, I run *many* towns)

I like the maps for all of them and if I remember I will post some pictures... They are all quite different! Oddly though, I think I prefer my main town, Bevelle, which I picked before I'd ever set foot on an ACNL forum and didn't have a clue what a "good map" looked like... I literally picked one of the first 4 :D But it is quite an interesting shape (feel free to visit my DA)

I'm pretty sure I have the exact same situation in Neovi, but I honestly don't mind it. I think it'd make into a pretty secret area that's a bit out of the way. Unfortunately though I have a few rocks there so putting any big pwps is out of the question. Anyway you could make it into a cute little secret area if you'd like, esp if the waterfall is there (It is there for me at least)

Last edited:
My map. I don't know if I love it yet or not.
sds.jpg

X's are villagers I am moving out. Black box is where the cafe is going. Gyroid is a bridge I'm building.

Last edited:
Well, I really like mine, although I'm sure not everyone thinks it's ideal:

cT6ArrZ.jpg

What I like about it:
  • smooth river shape
  • vertical waterfall
  • eastern beach
  • re-tail relatively close to the beach
  • town hall near the train station
  • blue town hall (I remodeled it to the zen exterior, but my favourite town hall interior is the blue ones')
  • native apple

What I don't like about it:
  • square grass, but I'll be covering most of it up with paths anyway
  • the town plaza could be a little lower?

I really like it overall. My villager placements probably look a little random, but oh well. I don't mind them. Normally I wouldn't like having villagers so close to the town hall, but the closest one is Ankha. I decided to let her plot there because a) she wasn't plotting in any other areas, and b) I figured that's because she wants to run the whole show. :p I'll let her try

I have two maps that are practically perfect for me. I love this river shape more than anything, and prefer when Retail is at the top of the map opposite the train station, and when the plaza lines up perfectly beneath the town hall.

Pemberly has the utility placements I like.
tumblr_inline_nrsf2rkX3t1qihn7h_500.png

Longborn has the south facing waterfall and Retail in a good spot.
tumblr_inline_o0a9zeSY1L1qihn7h_500.png

The narrow strip at the top bothers some people when they have a map like this, but it's perfect for hiding a pitfall in the corner since villagers rarely walk up there, and for planting bamboo without it getting too out of control.

The narrow strip at the top bothers some people when they have a map like this, but it's perfect for hiding a pitfall in the corner since villagers rarely walk up there, and for planting bamboo without it getting too out of control.

I like those narrow strips too, even though I don't have one. I went to a dream town once and saw that they utilized that space by placing their zen bell there and creating a zen pathway leading up to it. I thought it was lovely. :)

I like those narrow strips too, even though I don't have one. I went to a dream town once and saw that they utilized that space by placing their zen bell there and creating a zen pathway leading up to it. I thought it was lovely. :)

That sounds like it would be really pretty!
In Pemberly I let the bamboo take over around Frobert's house and have the stone tablet nearby. And in Longborn I put a bench next to Apollo's house and surrounded it by trees to give him a private sitting area.

My town maps as promised :)

I love them all and each one is perfect for the towns I have planned (all are WIP apart from Bevelle!)

ArchadesMap.jpgAzuraMap.jpgBevelleMap.jpgElsweyrMap.jpgVidTownMap.jpg

I love my map. I've never seen one I like better than mine! I hope you'll visit my DA.

I think Waterfall facing towards the south seems to be one of the best Map layout for me. I love the overall graphics environment when using citrix xendesktop from -REDACTED- with such an amazing -REDACTED-.

Regards,
Adrian Gates

Don't click on those links. They'll probably wreck your computer. For some reason this user hasn't been banned yet.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Anyway, since this thread was bumped for some reason, I might as well talk about my favorite map.

I11D7HP.jpg

Fireleaf is my current town and it is honestly my favorite map that I have ever seen in New Leaf. This is including other people's towns. I am a big fan of ponds, so to have 6 (the max amount) is really nice. The best thing about it is that all the ponds ended up being unique shapes, making the geography that much more interesting. The buildings are also in good locations. Especially the Town Hall which goes great beside my house.

Last edited:
Back