• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.

The "I learned something new today!" Thread

During his early career, as a struggling actor, Javier Bardem worked as a stripper. It was only for one day, but his mom was in the crowd, so that must have been awkward….

I learned of a flower that absorbs all the hate.
The nuclear waste that is wrongfully made.
A flower that shines in the color of gold,
a flower that smiles and is tickled when hold.

A flower that few would have thought could be pure.
A flower that few would consider a cure.
But yet such a flower has a purpose it'd seem,
chemically speaking, if you know what I mean.

And I'm not a botanist who studies this crap.
Nuclear physics, I don't care about that.
Sunflowers grow in Chernobyl you see,
they help reduce radioactivity.

That's what I learned, but that's not why I'm here.
I write these poems for somebody held dear.
Yes, she's a flower and she's watered with poems.
That is my promise 'till I'm gone from these forums.
🌼

Cad Bane from Star Wars the Clone Wars is based off of the actor Lee Van Cleef. He is probably most well known as the antagonist from The Good The Bad and The Ugly. He was able to draw his firearm so fast that they had to make him deliberately slow it down to make his quickdraw not look fake.

I learned that zorses (or zebroids) exist. The father is usually a zebra and the mother is a horse. This has been happening since the 19th century.

Before it was the SCP logo, the iconic symbol was a free asset from an Adobe illustrator “mad science” icon pack. The logo was originally orange and glowy and was simplified into the logo we know today. That original orange icon was used in 3 TV shows (as decals to make things look “cool”)…including, get this! Sesame Street!
IMG_9212.jpeg

I learned two Mario things not today, but recently.

First, Mario games don’t count time in real seconds. I already knew that Mario games in the 80s and 90s counted 1 in game second as about 2/3 of a real second, but apparently the only Mario games with a time limit that count in real time are New Super Luigi U (only that game, not New Super Mario Bros. U) and the Super Mario Maker games.

And also, the jingle in Mario Kart games that plays when you’re in the last lap is based on the music that plays when you have 100 seconds left in mainline Mario games. It’s way more noticeable in Super Mario Kart.

This was from Wikipedia... "Elizabeth Storie's doctor poured nitric acid into her mouth, causing her teeth to fall out"

TIL that in Super Mario 64, the reason why that little unused dancing flower graphic is found in the source code for Lethal Lava Land is because it is grouped with bubble effects, which includes the effect used for the lava in that level.

and if you look at the way the flower behaves, it makes sense. it's actually an "event" made up of multiple flowers that spawn in a radius around Mario's current position. this is also how the lava bubble effect behaves in levels that feature lava.

The Menendez brothers can be seen in the background of Mark Jackson's NBA Hoops basketball card from 1990. They bought court-side tickets before they were arrested.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Wikipedia page for wordplay with numbers in Japanese and this one was fun:
  • 3.14159265, the first nine digits of pi, can be read as "san-i-shi-i-ko-ku-ni-mu-kou" (産医師異国に向こう), meaning "an obstetrician faces towards a foreign country".

Back