White Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
Easter Egg
Yoshi Easter Egg
The Bell Tree Fair 2013 Patch
[insert flag]
be still, my soul

EjGnKj0U8AELfbK

"For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience." ~Romans 8:24-25

Hello, welcome to my island page! This'll actually be more of a profile than a journal.
For more frequent glimpses into life on Espera, check out my Twitter screenshot dump!
I also have a nasty habit of kinda-blogging in the Screenshot megathread, so you will find my gems there semi-frequently.

Dream Address:
DA-5475-3749-8150
Creator ID:
MA-3087-5801-1793

⚓
background info

Espera is a conjugation of the Spanish verb esperar, which means either "to hope" or "to wait." You may also have heard of the word esperanza - that's "hope" as a noun. I went with the verb in the imperative (command) form because it's the name of one of the songs that got me through high school. To be clear, I don't speak fluent Spanish and I'm not Hispanic or Latina, but I took Spanish classes all four years of high school because I admire the language and culture, and as a Floridian I believe learning it would benefit me.

Below I get into the true meaning of Espera to me. It's in a spoiler because it's long and because it has to do with my faith. Feel free to read if you're interested. It may not be what you'd expect.

Espera is meant to represent my spiritual journey as an often lonely and troubled Christian. My story is fraught with confusion, fear, trying to prove myself to everyone because that's how I've lived my whole life, being misunderstood and misunderstanding, not knowing who's right or who to listen to, feeling hopelessly inadequate or unable to do what's expected of me, realizing I'm still struggling against empty religion and shame just like all the people I used to think I could help, not knowing what God's love is actually supposed to look like or why all my church friends seem to have something I don't - all of which are things I'm learning to accept are true of my current condition, but that I can trust in (put my hope in, wait on) my God for the fact they won't last and He's faithful through all of it.

So that reflects in my design choices for Espera. Inspired in part by the skillful storytelling of Aika Village from New Leaf, I chose to make my island heavily symbolic by my choice of colors (mostly in the roses), themes and object placements. That symbolism may not be immediately apparent to visitors, perfect or overt, and I have a few unique personal meanings for some things (e.g. the color purple to me represents confusion, rather than royalty or elegance) but for me it helps me reflect on my life, on what is true of God's character and His faithfulness to me, and keeps me grounded in my spiritual reality while I play. Designing my island is, in some ways, a means of reflection and prayer, a way of staying mentally connected to the Most High.

As the story continues, and I begin to seek help for my mental struggles, while daily facing internal battles trying to make sense of everything - why the past 2,000 years of history have gone how they have, why my life looks how it does, why this broken world is how it is - I believe there's a good and beautiful Purpose behind all this pain. And once I'm brought out on the other side of it, I want to be able to show the same compassion, love or whatever I find to those who've been hurt by religion much more deeply than I have.

⚓
records

start date:
March 20, 2020

current map and residents:
EmuD345VoAIIYfo

last updated: November 13, 2020

villager history:
🌺 Ursala
Billy 🍩
⚱ Clay

Marina 🎀
🍦 Sprinkle
Lionel 🚂
🍁 Monty
Naomi
☕Sandy
Bubbles 🍇
🏠Spike
Astrid
🤩

🏝 Rodney
Yuka🌱
🍱 Bill
Melba 🌼
🦓 Savannah

Curt 🥊
🎏 Purrl
Roscoe 🌹
original map:
EYGlxFkVcAEytJs
representative info:
EiPdmtyWAAIjH3F

last updated: September 18, 2020

Last edited:
⚓
the boardwalk

Due to no use, I will likely replace this section with something else later.

I have two wishlists - the first (high-priority) is smaller and contains things I'm currently looking for. Check that one first.
If you want to trade with me and don't have anything on the first wishlist, the second wishlist (low-priority) is much larger, and if it's reorderable I'd prefer to just catalog it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back